Author Topic: Casio FZ sampler - EL backlight problem  (Read 451 times)

Offline PeacefrogTopic starter

• Contributor
Casio FZ sampler - EL backlight problem
« on: July 04, 2023, 06:43:25 pm »
I am repairing a power board in a Casio FZ-20M sampler - and while I've got the 5V, 12V, and 15V rails up and working the EL backlight doesn't seem to be doing what I'd expect.

The schematic is attached - the circuit is powered by the 5V rail, and I'd expect it to be putting out 90V AC - but it actually measures 140Hz 9V AC without a load. I've tested the caps, resistors, and transistors and all seems in range.

I wonder if I'm missing something, as I'm not too familiar with how the circuit works - could anyone help me diagnose? In particular, I'm wondering if this needs a load in order to work correctly. Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:15:34 am by Peacefrog »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Casio FZ sampler - EL backlight problem
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 06:20:50 am »
In the collector of the 2SD400F should be stable DC voltage.  If yes, check all 5 components between B, E and pin 7 of the transformer, including the transistor.  Together they make an oscillator.  The worst would be to have short-circuit turns in the transformer, but let's hope not.  I would check or replace the 5 components first.

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 05:29:03 am »
I would test the transformer out-of-circuit. Apply a sinusoidal input between pins 2 & 3 and measure the output between pins 2 & 5. (Of course, do the easy stuff first.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:32:46 am by fzabkar »

Offline PeacefrogTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 03:03:47 pm »
I was able to find a spare scrap board with the same inverter, and it's fired right up after transplanting in the transformer.

The one problem - *without* load (which I understand is not advisable, so I haven't been leaving it powered this way long), I measure ~240V AC and 1.4kHz - am I safe to connect the backlight, in the belief that this will drop? I'd expect it more in the ~120V AC / 160Hz(?) range.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf