Author Topic: Tek 465B Oscilloscope Strange Spot on Screen Moveable With Magnet  (Read 1161 times)

Offline cjs2pcTopic starter

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Tek 465B on eBay and have a weird display issue.

There is a strange dead spot on my display always in the same position. It is a round circle where the trace is blanked out. At first I thought something had happened to the phosphor coating at that location and it was burned out.

http://imgur.com/a/xVD8U

However, when I place a magnet near the screen, the trace line is distorted as expected, but interestingly the dead spot moves with the trace, so it seems like this is an issue with the beam generation not the phosphor.

Has anyone seen something odd like this before?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:55:07 pm by cjs2pc »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Tek 465B Oscilloscope Strange Spot on Screen Moveable With Magnet
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
I think it has to be a particle stuck on the CRT's post deflection mesh, but I don't know the solution, it may be a case of gently tapping the CRT in the right place - or not.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: cjs2pc

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Tek 465B Oscilloscope Strange Spot on Screen Moveable With Magnet
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »
I think it has to be a particle stuck on the CRT's post deflection mesh, but I don't know the solution, it may be a case of gently tapping the CRT in the right place - or not.

I agree.

Note that the mesh is very fragile, and might be damaged by a strong magnetic field. If the CRT is disassembled, even breathing on the mesh is sufficient to warp it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: cjs2pc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf