Author Topic: What is this and should I replace it?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline DaneH3Topic starter

• Contributor
What is this and should I replace it?
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:46:33 pm »
So I was taking apart my Icom IC-24AT to do the last repair on it, and due to my ignorance, snapped some small wires going from one fragile board to another.  :clap:

The image attached shows them. I'm not sure what the white bits around the wire are, but my assumption is they are some kind of choke meant to keep radio frequencies from screwing with the power lines.

The real question is, should I bother replacing them? What should I search for to find a valid replacement?

Just wondering, since I could easily just put in a normal wire instead.  :-//

Thanks,
Dane
"A reckless repairman is no different than the demolitioner"

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: What is this and should I replace it?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:00:36 pm »
I think your assumption is correct. And the thinking of replacing them with wires is also correct. Don't overthink it.
Alex

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 09:05:22 pm »
I dunno, it could be but it looks like it's something potted in a ceramic shell?  Have you hit the ends with a multimeter?  Some resistors are packaged with that method, but it doesn't really look like one to me.

If you've got a multimeter and an LCR meter, you should be able to determine pretty well what sort of thing it is, if it were still operating.  low value resistance with a little more inductance than a similar length of wire is probably a ferrite or a choke, just resistor would measure as such, capacitor would be easy to ID, and could diode check as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:13 pm »
Don't overthink it.

I assumed I was overthinking, sort of. Better safe than sorry, however.

Replacing the wires with more flexible ones would reduce the chance of breaking them again, anyway. :-+

I dunno, it could be but it looks like it's something potted in a ceramic shell?  Have you hit the ends with a multimeter?  Some resistors are packaged with that method, but it doesn't really look like one to me.

If you've got a multimeter and an LCR meter, you should be able to determine pretty well what sort of thing it is, if it were still operating.  low value resistance with a little more inductance than a similar length of wire is probably a ferrite or a choke, just resistor would measure as such, capacitor would be easy to ID, and could diode check as well.

I hooked it up to my LCR meter and it showed as a .1 Ohm resistor, but I double checked and that's just what the LCR shows when it's shorted.
Doesn't look like anything's potted in there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:17:35 pm by DaneH3 »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
If you crank up the frequency on the LCR (if it goes up), then you're more likely to be able to see a small inductor or a ferrite.  Just looked potted to me because the top one in the pic has a shade of white on the outside, then a slightly offwhite center around the lead - a little like a potted thing.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:35:46 pm »
If you crank up the frequency on the LCR (if it goes up), then you're more likely to be able to see a small inductor or a ferrite.  Just looked potted to me because the top one in the pic has a shade of white on the outside, then a slightly offwhite center around the lead - a little like a potted thing.

It's by no means a fancy LCR. Nothing a can really change to get a better reading.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 03:27:58 am »
It is just an insulated jumper.  Replace it with a wire.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:02 am »
I also think they are blobs of plastic or something so that the wires can never move and short to each other.
VE7FM

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:48:19 am »
Replaced the wires with some I had. Works great.

Thanks guys,  :-+

Dane

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »
Those are zero ohm resistors, which were shaped that way so that an auto insertion machine could handle them like a regular 0.25W resistor on a PCB. Used here as insulated wire links, probably as they both provide insulation between wires, are capable of handling 2A and also most likely Icom has a few hundred reels of them sitting in a store, and they are being used as they are both human insertable, or can be handled by the auto inserter as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf