Author Topic: Xbox 360 e  (Read 7762 times)

Offline awyeh1234Topic starter

• Contributor
Xbox 360 e
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:29 am »
Hello! I have an Xbox 360e that i just got for xmas, and it just randomly died.  will not power on, power supply is fine, fan all that stuff is fine.  But i just cant figure out why it wont turn on. Any suggestions?

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
Re: Xbox 360 e
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:13 am »
Hello! I have an Xbox 360e that i just got for xmas, and it just randomly died.  will not power on, power supply is fine, fan all that stuff is fine.  But i just cant figure out why it wont turn on. Any suggestions?

Since it's new it's still under warranty, take it back to the retailer for service.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:44 am »
not under warranty anymore tried that

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:44:54 am »
Is it second hand?

Did you ask an adult to try and return it for you first? You don't want to spend time and money unless you really have to. Especially if you don't own the correct repair equipment yet.

If it was sold second hand from a store, many countries have laws to warranty it for a few months, you need to find this out first. Even Ebay/Paypal protects purchases for a month or so.

If it was sold privately by an individual (non business) in most cases your stuck with it unless it still has a manufacturers warranty or if it was new when purchased.

In some countries if the fault can be proved a design or manufacturing problem it may still be covered after the warranty ends.

Set your country in the user options so people can give you better advice based on where you live.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:03 am »
If you are attempting to repair it let us know if you have a multimeter, oscilloscope, soldering iron, hot air rework or a BGA rework station, infrared thermometer etc.

Then list what you have tried so far to troubleshoot it. Exactly what you observe when you turn it on with/without a game. If you tested the power or tried another supply/cable, different TV, game. What lights come on, if it has a hdd is it spinning up, what electronics troubleshooting you performed. If you tried a reset or fully disconnecting it for a period.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:56:05 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline vargoal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:32:36 pm »
Also can you be more specific about the problem, what works and what doesn't? Is their a red ring on the front, if so how many quadrants are red because that tells you the error?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/flashing-lights-solution

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:07:39 am »
I have all equipment besides an oscilloscope and a rework station, and this console is absolutely dead.  the power supply is fine i managed to turn it on manualy.  im not to familiar with consols so i really dont know anything without a circuit diagram, if i had that i could probably figure it out.  I also have checked all the things like the fan, and cd drive thinking maybe it would work, obviously not.  I kinda have a felling its something with the standby circuit but i dont know.  And i did check voltages, and they are all where needed. 

Any help is appreciated.
-Chris

Offline poot36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:14:13 am »
Try this test.  Apply 5V into the USB port from an external supply with the Xbox power supply unpluged.  Now try to turn on the console, if it makes the bing sound and trys to turn on plug in the Xbox power supply and try again.  It should turn on.  If not then there is a problem with the 5V standby voltage rail and prehaps any other rails that are driven off the 5V rail (3.3V?).  I have accidentally done this test when I was using my arduino to charge a 3.6V Ni-Cad battery pack directly connected to the 5V out on the board and run a LCD display with a seconds counter on it as a battery discharge test so when I turned off the Xbox to stop the charging and start the test I had turned off the power to all my equipment with a surge bar and UPS and was interested when I was doing other work and managed to bump the Xbox power button and it beeped at me.  The Xbox was not damaged in any way because it still works and it has 500Ma poly fuses on each of the USB ports for over current protection.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:24:57 am »
ok yeah it didnt do anything when i tried it

Offline poot36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:48:28 am »
I would check all voltage regulators and switching based step down converters for the correct voltage.  Also check all fuseable resistors and polyfuses.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 02:54:04 am »
ok

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:15 am »
yeah i dont have a schematic though how am i supposed to know what voltages are where?

Offline poot36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 05:56:42 am »
You can figure that out by looking up the datasheets for the components that are connected to the voltage regulators.  You should find at a minimum 12V, 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V.  There may be other voltages for other components.  If you plug the xbox into the wall and measure the voltage coming out of the USB ports and the test points with thick pads going to them on the front panel board with the RF module on it what do you get?  I would also check Q1 on the back side of that board.  Try unplugging everything that you can and try powering it on again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf