Author Topic: Hantek DSO-1200 Handheld Oscilloscope  (Read 20791 times)

Offline Tyalor.m2008Topic starter

Hantek DSO-1200 Handheld Oscilloscope
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:58 pm »
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can advise me or has any knowledge of the Hantek DSO-1200 Handheld Oscilloscope?

Link For specs: http://www.hantek.com.cn/english/produce_list.asp?unid=81

I’m currently a Undergraduate student and in my first year studying Electronics and I’m after a reasonable entry level to intermediate scope that I can use at home but also something I can afford.

The Hantek is attractive because of it’s size, bandwidth (200Mhz) and the many functions it comes with. Also the price seems reasonable on ebay as they sell between £400 and £500 in the UK, the only thing that concerns me is there is very little in the way of reviews on this product and the reviews I have found seem to be quite mixed in opinion, if there were more reviews then obviously it would be easier for me to make a decision.

I’ve also discovered the Rigol 1052e recently through Dave’s review and also checked out other reviews and this scope is very impressive, especially for the price and I think this scope will be a wiser choice to buy. But with the Hantek having a higher bandwidth and being more compact (although it has lower real time sampling rate than the Rigol) I just want to make sure that, if I get the Rigol, I haven’t made the wrong decision and missed out on the Hantek, if it happens to be the better scope to go for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Mark (UK).

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek DSO-1200 Handheld Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:11 pm »
Mark,

i don't know the DSO1200, but from what i can see on Hantek website:
- if you don't have a DMM the DSO1200 could be a good option (as it have DMM interated).
  On te other side if you kill such device by using as DMM, the DSO will be gone too.

-the 200MHz bw of DSO1200 is nice on the paper, but the 500MSs is not sufficient (remember, that's only 250MSs in dual ch. mode)

As you think about Rigol, consider this :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.0

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

alm

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »
My $0.02 (based on specs, haven't seen one in the flesh):

500MS/s is too slow for 200MHz bandwidth in single shot mode, effective bandwidth in that case would probably be about 50MHz. Equivalent time sampling is almost useless on cheap scopes. I'd go with the Rigol or Instek scope (the latter appears to be slightly better) unless you need the portability. You probably get a better display and controls, and I think the form factor is superior for bench work.

There may be a review of the Hantek DSO from someone with hands-on experience either on this forum or on other forums like rcgroups.com, I think a Hantek handeld DSO (not sure if it's this one) was discussed here in the past.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »
One advantage of battery operated scopes is that when running on battery power with no I/O, it would be isolated from ground so mains measurements can be performed. You'll need a properly rated 100X probe for typical power supply circuits.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »
My 2c too, just perusing its specs on the user's manual:

Maximum real-time sampling rate:
250MSa/s (DSO1060)
500MSa/s (DSO1200)
1GSa/s (DSO1600)
2GSa/s (DSO1600H)
? Memory depth:
32K points (Single Channel), 16K points (Dual Channels)

The whole series has low memory depth, also called record length.  This adds to aliasing errors in the slower time bases of the scope.

For comparison, the Instek 60 MHz 1062A has a memory depth of 1M points each channel, 2M points on a single channel.

The reviews suggests its a decent scope, but you will be paying 2x price of equivalent Rigol or Instek mostly for portability, and have a slightly reduced spec.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:05:55 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:53 am »
You can find some videos over at youtube about that scope if interested.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=907.0

Links to prior discussion and a external reviews on some scopes in the series.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf