Author Topic: Need feedback from Hakko FR-301 users  (Read 1432 times)

Offline zero9Topic starter

• Contributor
Need feedback from Hakko FR-301 users
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:49:44 am »
Few days ago had to remove ram sockets from some server pcb.
As you all know it is a bit struggle to remove them, remove all solder from vias.

Found out Hakko FR-301  https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr301.html
Will it be enough power, heat capacity to remove parts like RAM sockets etc from boards which have bigger GND polygons and many layers?
I know FR-400, but it is out of my budget.
Also, if there are some other suggestions under 1000$ mark, let me know.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need feedback from Hakko FR-301 users
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 02:19:49 pm »
Personally never had problems with it. I might be giving advice you already know, but make sure you make circular movements around the pin you want to desolder, and use a nozzle that is adapted to the job. For DIP sockets the standard nozzle is OK. For connectors you often need an oval/elongated nozzle.

edit: We're talking about through hole, right? For SMD this tool will be of very limited use.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:15:59 pm by bateau020 »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 03:01:58 pm »
preheater table would be much more usefull then this

Offline zero9Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 03:59:57 pm »
Personally never had problems with it. I might be giving advice you already know, but make sure you make circular movements around the pin you want to desolder, and use a nozzle that is adapted to the job. For DIP sockets the standard nozzle is OK. For connectors you often need an oval/elongated nozzle.

edit: We're talking about through hole, right? For SMD this tool will be of very limited use.
thanks for Your input. Have You used it for power hungry PCBs as i mentioned above?
Yes, through hole!
preheater table would be much more usefull then this
not an option here - that PCB was huge, not a regular ATX. But that is not the topic.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:04:16 pm by zero9 »

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »
well, sometimes you need to heat it a little longer and "help" by adding new non-lead free solder (to lower the melting temperature and help it flow), but I've never had a problem. Never desoldered large heatsinks though....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:06:23 pm by bateau020 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 09:34:12 pm »
What iron do you have, and when you try to heat up the pin with that iron will it melt easily or not?
Its listed as 110W, including the pump, so it may be about the same as a typical decent iron, or slightly better.

If the pin is tied to multiple internal layers, it just might not be possible without preheating.
If you don't care about the socket surviving, that makes your life a bit easier, you can crank the temperature up.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 06:01:52 am »
Having found no detailed specs, and in order to take all ambiguity away, I decided to measure it.
When at temperature, pump off, it draws 110W when heating. Pump takes 10-15W on top of that. (When cold, the heater draws about 250W, but that is irrelevant)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, zero9

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf