Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 359504 times)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2018, 07:58:51 pm »
Is the full user guide available yet?  I saw a link to it in the quick start, but it doesn't work.

Also, is there a minimum temp for the min-max temp range AND/OR the 3 user settings?

I don't often leave an iron on, but I figured since I was not getting the base that can sleep that I'd just change the temp manually using that 3 presets.  I could just set one of the presets to a low number like 300 deg F, etc.

Hey, that's an outstanding idea about pre-setting a lower temperature! Temperature range is 193-454°C (380-850°F) -- the unit comes with a default setting of 500°-800°F but this range can be changed. All Pre-Set temperatures can be changed by going into a Program Mode, so yes, you could program a pre-set for 380°F or 193°C. Not optimum for an idling temperature (better if it were a bit lower), but definitely adequate!

The full Operations Manual is being worked on as we speak and should be online by early next week.

Great suggestion on the Pre-Set!

Aaron

This is exactly what i am planning to do with mine till the isb stand is ready so i can push and go.. just curious.. why 380 minimum?

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:53 pm »
Put in a request with those firmware guys to allow lower than 380 to whatever the sleep temp is in future firmware revisions.  No reason not to have that flexibility, right?

Hey alank2!

I made the suggestion for lower minimum temperature and Management loved it! Since we are in the process of tweaking the software, the decision has been made to change the low temperature limit to 350°F/177°C. It will be implemented within the next few weeks. The first generation units will flash firmware "1.1" when you turn on the power, while the updated firmware will flash "1.2". I'm shocked we made that decision so quickly, but it was a great suggestion! You get a free PACE mug and polo shirt  --- send your address info to acaplan (AT) paceworldwide (DOT) com and I'll ship them out!

Thanks again,

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, labjr, Elasia

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2018, 08:13:35 pm »
Hi Aaron,

Did you ever get a detailed picture of the ISB stand?

Dean

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:29 pm »
Thank you Aaron; email incoming!

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:08 pm »
Put in a request with those firmware guys to allow lower than 380 to whatever the sleep temp is in future firmware revisions.  No reason not to have that flexibility, right?

Hey alank2!

I made the suggestion for lower minimum temperature and Management loved it! Since we are in the process of tweaking the software, the decision has been made to change the low temperature limit to 350°F/177°C. It will be implemented within the next few weeks. The first generation units will flash firmware "1.1" when you turn on the power, while the updated firmware will flash "1.2". I'm shocked we made that decision so quickly, but it was a great suggestion! You get a free PACE mug and polo shirt  --- send your address info to acaplan (AT) paceworldwide (DOT) com and I'll ship them out!

Thanks again,

Aaron

So does that mean we have to send the unit in to have the flash updated? 

My Unit ships to me tomorrow and I should have it on the 2nd or 3rd of April.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:18:33 pm by dolivas27 »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2018, 08:30:59 pm »

So does that mean we have to send the unit in to have the flash updated? 

My Unit ships to me tomorrow and I should have it on the 2nd or 3rd of April.

I think so, but the Engineer involved left 1/2 hour ago so I won't know until tomorrow. It's possible it's just an EPROM that can be shipped out and snapped into a socket, but I'm not sure. I am located in PACE Engineering and Training Center in Elkridge Maryland, but the ADS200 factory is located in North Carolina, so all the firmware upgrade work is done there. I'll get back to you soon.

Aaron

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:25 pm »
Very nice to see PACE taking feedback seriously  :-+

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2018, 08:41:55 pm »

It usually not this easy, but the timing was absolutely perfect!

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2018, 08:56:16 pm »

It usually not this easy, but the timing was absolutely perfect!

That's awesome! Imagine if the government ran that smoothly?

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2018, 09:02:09 pm »
Hi Aaron,

Dean

Oh crap, I totally forgot! See the attached photo of the prototype. Sorry Dean.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2018, 09:15:37 pm »
Hi Aaron,

Dean

Oh crap, I totally forgot! See the attached photo of the prototype. Sorry Dean.

Aaron

Dean,

Here is how the ISB Tool Stand plugs into the back of the ADS unit (see attached image). And here's how the ISB works: the handpiece pushes a micro-switch on the left side of the cubby/holster when it is put in the tool stand -> switch connects its output to system ground -> the microprocessor picks up the change of switch’s output then starts the ISB timing control.

Aaron

Offline dolivas27

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:51 pm »
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the ISB stand pictures.

Now on to the firmware it gives me great concern when I read that you’re in the process of tweaking the software / firmware to me it’s starting to look like the unit has been rushed out to market?

I will be receiving my unit next week and several of the tips I order will not be shipped until the end of April now I read about the firmware changes?

I would like to know what other changes are planned for the updated firmware and if it’s not field Flashable what’s the process going to be to get the first gen units updated?

I have a EEPROM programmer so if that’s an option I would like to get the bin file, so I can flash my own unit.

Once I get the unit I will have a look at the insides to see if flashing is possible.

Thanks,
Dean 

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2018, 09:53:07 pm »
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the ISB stand pictures.

Now on to the firmware it gives me great concern when I read that you’re in the process of tweaking the software / firmware to me it’s starting to look like the unit has been rushed out to market?

I will be receiving my unit next week and several of the tips I order will not be shipped until the end of April now I read about the firmware changes?

I would like to know what other changes are planned for the updated firmware and if it’s not field Flashable what’s the process going to be to get the first gen units updated?

I have a EEPROM programmer so if that’s an option I would like to get the bin file, so I can flash my own unit.

Once I get the unit I will have a look at the insides to see if flashing is possible.

Thanks,
Dean

Dean,

All good comments. We have scheduled a meeting involving the updated firmware for next week. While I can't answer all your questions right away, let me just say that we will make it right for you. If I have to, I'll send a brand new, upgraded unit out to you myself! I'll be back in touch.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: dolivas27

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:52 pm »

I didn't get that impression at all.  An idea was had and they said they could implement it.  win win.  Someone wouldn't even need a newer version of firmware unless they wanted that specific change.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2018, 10:29:35 pm »

I didn't get that impression at all.  An idea was had and they said they could implement it.  win win.  Someone wouldn't even need a newer version of firmware unless they wanted that specific change.

I dont think so either.  Although it may have cost them an ISB sale :P  If i can manually push a button and drop to the isb temp and then just push it again when i want normal that isnt so bad especially considering its ramp up timing be so short.

I'm just jelly i didnt post about it lol.. i falsely assumed it could be set that low with a program key and went on my way considering the baked in isb function

So.. mine is not suppose to ship from tequiement till... 4/20 ;p  I'd love a new eeprom chip as well if possible or a drop shipped unit with the new firmware?  That is unless that batch has it already done!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:36:28 pm by Elasia »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2018, 11:26:56 pm »

So.. mine is not suppose to ship from tequiement till... 4/20 ;p  I'd love a new eeprom chip as well if possible or a drop shipped unit with the new firmware?  That is unless that batch has it already done!

About 200 demo units were produced and shipped to our Reps, Distributors and Sales Agents all over the world. And an additional 100 units were shipped to distributors for stock. I'm not exactly sure who received these, but if you are receiving this within the next week, you probably have the original firmware 1.1. Judging from the Apr 20th date Tequipment gave you, they must not have stock yet, so it's likely you are getting the newer version from Tequipment.

Note that I'm almost certain that it will be a simple EPROM chip that can be shipped to you, so if you receive the older firmware, it's not a problem. I'll confirm this tomorrow.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline eeval

« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2018, 01:34:37 pm »
Aaron - looks like tequipment has few in stock.  any ideas if these are latest firmware with lower temp?

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2018, 01:46:50 pm »
any ideas if these are latest firmware with lower temp?

There is no way - I had the idea yesterday - it is likely they haven't even changed the firmware yet.  Aaron said management agreed to the change yesterday.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2018, 02:11:04 pm »
any ideas if these are latest firmware with lower temp?

There is no way - I had the idea yesterday - it is likely they haven't even changed the firmware yet.  Aaron said management agreed to the change yesterday.

That and they are more or less taking pre orders.. I ordered mine a few days ago and its ship out date wont be till 4/20.  So.. as Aaron said.. most likely a 2nd batch that should hopefully have it.  If not, im sure they can easily do either a eeprom swap or a cross ship to swap the whole unit if need be and its something you really want.

I really like the idea of manual idling to just under the melt point so it solidifies and reduces the wearing on the plating which makes the tips last even longer..  that was why i was surprised to see 380 and wondered why and glad they are changing it.  It's not exactly a hobby level unit where you would have to explain that over and over on tech support if set lower so not much exposure or if someone did and abused the tip.. well pace gets to sell another tip :P

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2018, 02:17:16 pm »
I see no urgent firmware requirement. Users would then over-use the front panel to select a pseudo-setback temp (leaving only 2 valid presets). Economy-minded minimalist's can drum-up an external set-back without voiding a warranty, and operating an up-scale soldering station might imply our ability to create, right?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:19:44 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2018, 02:20:10 pm »
Aaron - looks like tequipment has few in stock.  any ideas if these are latest firmware with lower temp?

They're definitely not the latest firmware (Version 1.2) at Tequipment. It will take at least until next week to update the code, then another week to get the EPROMs changed out. 

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2018, 02:57:38 pm »
TEquipment has shipped one tip and the station - I should have it Tuesday to play with!

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2018, 03:14:33 pm »
I see no urgent firmware requirement. Users would then over-use the front panel to select a pseudo-setback temp (leaving only 2 valid presets). Economy-minded minimalist's can drum-up an external set-back without voiding a warranty, and operating an up-scale soldering station might imply our ability to create, right?

Potato patato.. only thing i can think of off hand that might be an issue metallurgicly would be if someone rapid cycled the transition states a lot but who in their right mind is going to do that?  As long as one of their initial set points didnt go under 380 that would avoid most folk off hand doing it unless someone went out of their way to drop under and going into program mode.

Other wise its a programmable preset.. leave the users to set what they want and use the tool as best for them :P

Edit: Actually I just had another idea that could even counter that.. the firmware is obviously update-able by them.. they could throw a rule in if someone drops down to that low preset, the cool down time doesnt start till the same time as the isb or what is safe to block rapid cycling

Edit 2: Another might be to do the rule but ramp down fast and then slow down/stop at the former 380.. , hold till a set timer is cleared then go down to 350... and really dont need the rules to work unless someone has already lowered it down once to 350 then went back up to say 650 for a quick joint and dropped back down again
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:42:26 pm by Elasia »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2018, 03:16:44 pm »
It should be pretty easy to devise a mechanism for the setback function. The setback input only needs to be grounded to activate. 

If the barrel of the tip cartridge is at system ground then could possibly be as simple as a single conductor wire to the stand from the switch input, with a contact which touches the cartridge when it's in the stand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:21:48 pm by labjr »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »
It should be pretty easy to devise a mechanism for the setback function. The setback input only needs to be grounded to activate. 

If the barrel of the tip cartridge is at system ground then could possibly be as simple as a single conductor wire to the stand from the switch input, with a contact which touches the cartridge when it's in the stand.

I've used IR sensors before to do this or a nice mechanical switch..  if you get a decent sensor its about as reliable as the mech

I'll most likely end up modding my standard stand with something.. if i do i havent decided if something basic or go for flair

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf