Author Topic: Dual Windows 10 on Different Drives for Security ??  (Read 3729 times)

Offline NY2KWTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dual Windows 10 on Different Drives for Security ??
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »
I have a HPz840 workstation with two monitors.  I have my most sensitive financial apps here plus all of my "hobby" apps for ham radio, electronic programming, etc.  I use TeamViewer, Zoom, Skype quite a lot and run lots of "public" software pertaining to my hobby interests without really knowing how safe they may be.   I am worried about someone accessing my financial records/programs.  I run Avast and Malwarebytes but still want to protect myself as much as reasonable.  My thought was to have two installations of Windows 10 on separate HDD and set up diskmanager on each so that the unused drive was not recognized.    Does this make the best sense or are there alternate, perhaps better practical options?

Jerry

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
Re: Dual Windows 10 on Different Drives for Security ??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 08:35:34 am »
Very wise to move your banking onto a different drive /system .

The simple way I use  is to dedicate  an old laptop with w10 to banking, see the recent Banking thread below.

Using two drives on your PC, all you need do is wire up a simple SPDT switch between each drives +5v power line, so you just activate one drive at a time.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:52:08 pm »
A separate drive is the inexpensive way.  I have tended to use a completely separate computer, perhaps isolated on its own network, which I then access via remote desktop protocol.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:52:07 am »
I was in a similar situation as you, except was using Windows 7. My solution was to buy a second computer and install Linux. I use it for everything where I wanted better security and more privacy than Windows. I chose an off-lease Lenovo business machine and total cost was under $200 including a new SSD. Having a second computer is much less hassle than dual booting. Since almost everything "internet" these days is done using a web browser, running Linux instead of Windows was a no-brainer.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 01:53:49 am »

Banking security with Windows 10 ?!!  :scared:

assuming you even get a chance to complete any transactions with the bully  :box:  auto update hitting on you at any time   |O

If you attempt a dual Win 10, you better have a solid Boot Manager to bail you out in case of any booting conflicts,
especially with that hidden partition/s.

Offline fragile

• Contributor
  • My Mom wants me to excel in STEM subjects.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 10:49:50 pm »
I think a virtual machine would be better. It's totally isolated from the host operating system,  and you can make a snapshot when you first make the VM. Then, if it should get attacked, you can just shut it down and revert to the snapshot. The VM will be a virgin again!

You can use a vpn service, so all communication from the physical machine to the vpn server is encrypted, and then it's randomized with thousands of other users connected to the server. No one can tell what you're doing, where you're going, where you're from, your ip, you mac, or anything else. Even if your browser is configured to send your ip, the vpn strips that off, along with anything else it's looking for.

We're a bit security-conscious in our house.   I mean, I had a pretty normal childhood. But my Dad doesn't talk much about his job. It's weird, bc like everyone mostly nos stufff like that. So, I just say he's in public service.

But I know about online security.

Everything else is wrong!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:16:49 pm »
Banking security with Windows 10 ?!!  :scared:
i think you are too generous, maybe what you meant is Windows 3.11, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11? use Linux? ;D ps: i find it hard to move away from XP due to Explorer thing. and i do have an Android smartphone and a Win10 machine but i dont do banking with both of them  ::) since i replied.. to the OP i think the safest way is not to make a thread at all and expose your sensitive details which you already did ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 11:49:42 pm »
I think a virtual machine would be better. It's totally isolated from the host operating system,  and you can make a snapshot when you first make the VM. Then, if it should get attacked, you can just shut it down and revert to the snapshot. The VM will be a virgin again!

I agree, but for some different reasons, but none of my current systems have enough RAM to make virtual machines feasible.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:39:24 am »
hi
what's wrong with putting virtualbox (free and stable) on ANY windows/linux os and running a ANY preferred linux VM inside (or windows or macos)?
why everybody talks about 235 hdd drives and 5 keyboards with 23 monitors attached????my god!!!
regards,pierre

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf