Author Topic: BK Precision 389A - Any good?  (Read 5728 times)

Offline AismassTopic starter

BK Precision 389A - Any good?
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:26:59 am »
Hey there everyone.
Does anybody own or has anyone used the BK Precision 389A (or 390A even)? I'm in the market for a new meter around ~$150 CAD and would like some opinions on this thing. I can't seem to find any reviews of it. I know the 2709B is supposedly a pretty sweet deal, though I can't help but feel that the 389A would be more solid overall based on specs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: BK Precision 389A - Any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:48:57 am »
I can't comment on the BK multimeters since I have never used one, but if you are not opposed to buying an used multimeter, you may find a Fluke 87 III or 87V on your local kijiji for $150 CDN or less?  Just make sure the fuses are not blown as they are expensive (between $6 and $9 each) and test all the functions before buying.

$100 for an original Fluke 87 in good condition is "fair" market value in Canada.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:15:33 am »
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those. Would not mind having a fluke  :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:09:06 pm »
Dave had a BK 2709B in his $100 shootout. From this, it appears that the 389A might have the same 500V fuses, but I was impressed with the internal build quality and input protection otherwise.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:55:44 pm »
It did look pretty good though I was hoping that maybe the 389A would be similar with better accuracy and fewer annoying issues.

Offline (In)Sanity

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:52 am »
I've had a 390A for years and I have to say it's been a great meter.  The 389A I suspect will be just as good quality wise.    I also have a 2705B which works really good for the price.

I have to say that B&K's customer support is top notch.  I recently inquired to B&K about the price of a replacement tilt stand for my 390A because over the years it had just worn out at the hing and busted.   No fault of the design really,  just lots of use.   Well B&K responded that they were sending me one,  not that it would cost xx dollars but just that they were sending me one.  A few days later I received a brand new replacement stand in the mail with no bill enclosed or need to pay.   I've had my 390A for I would guess 7 years.  To me that's just great customer service.   

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:47 am »
Thanks for all the info. I ended up scoring a new Fluke 87v for 250 shipped from ebay so I guess my search is over  :)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:53:56 am »
Thanks for all the info. I ended up scoring a new Fluke 87v for 250 shipped from ebay so I guess my search is over  :)
Luckily you got your Fluke before the huge USPS international increase in price effective Jan 27, 2013.  Buying from the USA for international customers has just become much harder and le$$ attractive now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf