Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901595 times)

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #1500 on: February 01, 2020, 11:38:41 am »
Hello , anybody know if there is a software that can control the AWG in MSO5000 ?
Thank you !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:41:08 am by skander36 »

Offline Cust

« Reply #1501 on: February 03, 2020, 07:11:53 am »
You mean:
1) downgrade to version 1.04.04
2) upgrade by "DS5000Update_patch_01_01_04_04_usb.GEL"
3) upgrade to version 1.08.08

He is saying you might be applying the 1.04.04 patch to the 1.04.08 firmware which won't work.
Follow the instructions posted recently here, try again from scratch get rid of whatever files you have. Make sure ethernet cable is unplugged from oscilloscope, in case that is interfering with bootup.

If you are on 1.04.08 and its working then no downgrading/upgrading/etc is needed.
ufff, my MSO has BW 350 MHz :-)

I had to downgrade first....

Cust
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:15:12 am by Cust »

Offline typoknig

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1502 on: February 03, 2020, 10:56:09 pm »
My last information was "probably end of january".

Chance to add the bode plot feature?

Once they (rigol EU support) told me clearly, bode will come.
But they did it in may 2019.
Now we got january 2020 and still there´s no update.

Looks like the FW on the North America site was updated within the past few days, but it was updated from 01.01.04.04 to 01.01.04.08.  Are they considering 01.01.04.08 the update that was targeted for January?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1503 on: February 03, 2020, 11:08:56 pm »
Can´t believe it:

v00.01.01.04.08 2019/08/02

-Fixed system crashed when clicking Default.
      -Fixed 4CH option bug.
      -Fixed noise signal captured.
      -Improved the measure result updating rate.
      -Fixed accurate measurements not updated in ROLL

Old known things...

Offline typoknig

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: February 03, 2020, 11:50:24 pm »
Can´t believe it:

v00.01.01.04.08 2019/08/02

-Fixed system crashed when clicking Default.
      -Fixed 4CH option bug.
      -Fixed noise signal captured.
      -Improved the measure result updating rate.
      -Fixed accurate measurements not updated in ROLL

Old known things...

Yeah, this is very disappointing.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1505 on: February 04, 2020, 12:02:45 am »
Hello , anybody know if there is a software that can control the AWG in MSO5000 ?
Thank you !

Use python or other software instead, its going to be a better solution IMO. There was a GUI made for DG800 that could potentially be ported if you need UI.

Here is an idea of how it looks (pyvisa):
Code: [Select]
#disable generator
gen.write(':source1:output1 0')
print(gen.query(':source1:output?'))

#Set generator output 1 voltage/frequency sine wave
gen.write(':source1:volt 1')
gen.write(':source1:freq 1000')
gen.write(':source1:function sin')
gen.write(':source1:voltage:offset 0')

#enable generator output
gen.write(':source1:output1 1')

#normal or precision measurement
gen.write(':measure:mode normal')
gen.write(':measure:source channel1')

#Memory depth
gen.write(':acq:type aver')
gen.write(':acq:averages 4')
gen.write(':acq:mdepth 100k')

print('Settings: ' + gen.query(':source1:apply?'))

gen.write(':measure:source channel1')
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: luma, skander36

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: February 04, 2020, 07:32:28 am »
Thanks ,
I know about pyvisa aproach .I used it for a FFT on Rigol DS2000. In fact if we combine this two and a some UI we can create a FRA app .
Next step, port the code to QT and integrate into MSO 5000 firmware  ...  ;D

The reality is that Rigol has launched this new line of scopes without a proper PC software applications that can use new functions aboard on this .

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1507 on: February 05, 2020, 12:06:47 am »
Thanks ,
I know about pyvisa aproach .I used it for a FFT on Rigol DS2000. In fact if we combine this two and a some UI we can create a FRA app .
Next step, port the code to QT and integrate into MSO 5000 firmware  ...  ;D

The reality is that Rigol has launched this new line of scopes without a proper PC software applications that can use new functions aboard on this .

All of their PC software is garbage IMO. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Their SCPI however, is incredibly well documented, broad, and for the most part works.

I agree there is potential for FRA, bode plots, quadrature modulation (?), etc. which can be more convenient to do in a single instrument. I'm working on a board to amplify the 2 channel gen to 2x the current voltage, but there are many more things you could think of to do with 2 outputs and 4 inputs. Another idea I have is measuring one channel current and one voltage.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: February 05, 2020, 07:26:54 am »
I received my MSO5074 and immediately upgraded it, many thanks to everyone involved.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: February 05, 2020, 11:39:55 am »
All of their PC software is garbage IMO. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Their SCPI however, is incredibly well documented, broad, and for the most part works.

I agree there is potential for FRA, bode plots, quadrature modulation (?), etc. which can be more convenient to do in a single instrument. I'm working on a board to amplify the 2 channel gen to 2x the current voltage, but there are many more things you could think of to do with 2 outputs and 4 inputs. Another idea I have is measuring one channel current and one voltage.

Yes I agree, their software is far better from  usefull  ...
I was done a capture component in NILAB, using their instructions in Programing Manual and is displaying waveforms faster than Ultrascope . Keysight also with their Benchvue is displaying waveforms very slow .
About Python , the script I used for FFT used NumPy if I remeber well . I don't know if will work now on Windows 10 ...
It was from here : http://www.righto.com/2013/07/rigol-oscilloscope-hacks-with-python.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:03:04 pm by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:54 pm »
Guys, I have a question, please check the attached photos from the built-in oscillator for the probe compensation. It is straight Auto trigger, no averaging etc. Do you think I have more noise than usual or is it normal? I feel like the flat portion of the signal(high signal) have a bit more noise than I expected?  (first photo is with 1x compensation on the physical probe and second photo is 10x)

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: February 07, 2020, 04:14:27 pm »
10x hast higher bandwith.. than 1x so Looks decent for me...

The following users thanked this post: hedehede81

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: February 07, 2020, 05:46:38 pm »
Maybe some noise on your bench ?

The following users thanked this post: hedehede81

Offline hedehede81

• Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: February 07, 2020, 06:01:11 pm »
yeah, you're right, it gets better if I move it away from the bench. Probably picking up high frequency noise from several switching power supplies. it gets a lot better if I use an extension alligator clip instead of directly hooking up the probe to the oscilloscope, so maybe it is picking up some noise from there too. thanks for the screenshots, I am relieved I don't have a lemon :)

Offline Yuriy68

« Reply #1514 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
Good day! I want to thank everyone who took part in this megaproject, primarily mabl, tv84, oliv3r and other wonderful people.
I purchased my MSO5074 by promoaction in China and got it already completely open with all options and a 350 MHz BW, and I didn’t even have to crack it. I made a backcup of the /rigol/data directory and the 8 kB FRAM memory and backup of the full NAND using utilities by tv84 and everything turned out great! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2757356/#msg2757356

Backup scripts for Rigol MSO5000 and MSO/DS7000

Attached is a .GEL that does a backup of the /rigol/data directory and the 8 kB FRAM memory. Run as a normal update.

It also does a memdump (450MB) so you should use a USB disk with size >= 512 MB. (Why this one? Because sometimes its useful...  ;) )

With /rigol/data and FRAM, we can recreate the scope from scratch (as long as the bootloader is OK).

If anyone tests the script, please report the results and how much time it took.

Edit1: Added a .GEL that does a backup of the full NAND (mt0->mt12). Since the NAND is 1 GB in size, you must be patient! It could take some minutes.
* Rigol_MSO5000_7000_backup_scripts.zip (1.4 kB - downloaded 288 times.)
* Rigol_MSO5000_7000_NAND_backup_scripts.zip (2.1 kB - downloaded 204 times.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:23:02 pm by tv84 »

Then saved the backcup on the PC.
But, still, I have some questions.
For example, if the program of oscilloscope will crash or the instrument will be repaired, how can I write saved backups of FRAM, NAND and / rigol / data back to the device? I rarely had to do this before. Please tell me the steps by step to know to do this. On my PC Windows 7, PuTTY and Ultra Sigma are installed. The scope is connected to a PC via USB, and can be connected via LAN.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: February 10, 2020, 04:49:37 pm »
For example, if the program of oscilloscope will crash or the instrument will be repaired, how can I write saved backups of FRAM, NAND and / rigol / data back to the device? I rarely had to do this before. Please tell me the steps by step to know to do this. On my PC Windows 7, PuTTY and Ultra Sigma are installed. The scope is connected to a PC via USB, and can be connected via LAN.

You made the backup, that's well done.

Don't worry about the other part. If you are not able to learn how to recover it with the available info in this forum and others, you should not mess  with the scope in order to brick it.

Offline Yuriy68

« Reply #1516 on: February 10, 2020, 05:33:04 pm »
Yes, thanks, this is a smart solution. Having a backup, I can always turn to more experienced users for recovery. :)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1517 on: February 13, 2020, 12:35:08 am »
Having just sold my Keysight MSO7104B, I'm thinking of a MSO5074.  A few questions:

1. What is the serial decode like? Is it hardware or software based? Either way, is it any good?

2. What alternatives, if any, has anyone figured out for the $360 PLA2216 logic probe accessory?

3. Is there still an offer to get official free serial decode options?

Thanks in advance.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline jake111

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: February 13, 2020, 12:41:48 am »
Having just sold my Keysight MSO7104B, I'm thinking of a MSO5074.  A few questions:

1. What is the serial decode like? Is it hardware or software based? Either way, is it any good?

2. What alternatives, if any, has anyone figured out for the $360 PLA2216 logic probe accessory?

3. Is there still an offer to get official free serial decode options?

Thanks in advance.

The scope in general seems really laggy.  With the limited capture depth, I think an important question is what you are trying to do, diagnose bus problems or capture lots of data.  Have you looked at saleae logic pro series?  I am just tickled pink by these things.  The analog + digital capture is great and with USB 3.0 you can stream to the limits of your PC's ability.  I resisted buying one of these for a long time, who spends 600 bucks on a USB logic analyzer, etc, but finally did it and I just can't believe how long I made do with my zeroplus and scope's limited abilities...  The software is just great.  I love it!!!

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1519 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:47 am »
The Siglent SDS2000X plus looks better to me.  I had the MSO5074 and it was very laggy to use, I found it less responsive than the DS1054Z.  The display is very dim, even with the new hardware update.  Rigol has not released a software update for more than 6-8 months.  Minor cosmetic details in the UI that shows a very little care from Rigol for having a professional scope, like the buttons not aligning with the options in the menu (right side of the screen with the right vertical buttons).

Serial decoding trigger seems to be hardware based, as I tested a 45MHz SPI transfer with an infrequent 0xFF packet sent when I pressed a button and it captured every single time, the SDS1104X-E missed a lot and the Keysight 1000X also captured almost every single time.  But the display refresh rate of serial decoding is also laggy on the MSO5074, nothing compared to what Keysight scopes can do (real hardware decoding).

I am waiting for the Siglent SDS2104X plus to arrive to test the same 45MHz SPI signal and see if it is better than the SDS1104X-E capturing infrequent packets.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:25:23 am by TK »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: February 13, 2020, 06:53:54 am »
About the screen , everyone complain about , but mine is very bright , I did not feel the need to make it brighter . It was aquired in Octomber 2019 .
The UI is laggy indeed but not so laggy as DS1054 with all 4 channels activated.
Also it does not have a software companion . You need to use Ultra Scope which is not updated for the new series 5x/7x/8x .
You can still get bundle promo until end of march : https://www.rigolna.com/promos/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:15:40 pm by skander36 »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, MegaVolt

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: February 13, 2020, 10:46:30 am »
Thanks for all replies to my questions.

I own a Salae Logic 8 (not the Pro) so I only have USB2 (not USB3) connectivity but it's enough for my needs.  My major disappointment with the Salae products is that they are listen-only, you can't send signals out from them. To get bidirectional features you need something like a Bus Pirate - I own a 3.8 and the instructions are here  The Bus Pirate is cheap but the documentation is scattered to the 4 corners of the internet and learning the UI is one step removed from understanding cuneiform.

I really don't need more than 350 MHz bandwidth and, at $1,000 this looks attractive as a cheap fill in for gap left by the MSO7104B but I do worry that Rigol seems to have abandoned this series with no firmware updates for many months.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: February 13, 2020, 10:56:53 am »
... one step removed from understanding cuneiform.

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: February 13, 2020, 11:18:56 am »
About the screen , everyone complain about , but mine is very bright , I did not feel the need to make it brighter . It was aquired in Octomber 2019 .
The UI is laggy indeed but not so laggy as DS1054 with all 4 channels activated.
Also it does not have a software companion . You need to use Ultra Scope which is not updated for the new series 5x/7x/8x .
You can still get bundle promo until end of march : Keysight MSO7104B https://www.rigolna.com/promos/

LOL Keysight... ^-^

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: February 13, 2020, 11:30:07 am »
Shouldn't we limit this thread to the discussion of the hack, as its title suggests? The thread is awfully long already, and many people struggle to get the gist of what's currently the "state of the art" for hacking the MSO5000.

There are other threads to discuss the merits (and weaknesses) of this family of scopes, e.g.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso-5000-hardwaresoftware-revisions/

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, TopLoser, jealcuna

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf