Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2201021 times)

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2301 on: May 09, 2014, 04:00:12 am »
The latest firmware on the Hantek site contains dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up. Can you more knowledgeable people tell me if this is the same as what i have, or is it an update from what I have installed?? (see picture in my last post). From the numbers it looks like an update but will it be suitable for my revision 1010 machine??. I Think I read somewhere further back, that someone bricked there scope with a update that was unsuitable. Last thing i want to do is screw up my scope!! :-// :-//

Yes, if the version is 3.30.*, it's no problem to upgrade the firmware with dso5kb*.up
if the version is 2.06.3, it should upgrade with firmware with dst1kb*.up.

Offline Redcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Ask why not, not why.
    • redcatimaging
« Reply #2302 on: May 09, 2014, 05:34:44 pm »
Hi Tinhead,
at first thank you very very much for all your effort and time you invest in this project.
Have the voltcraft 1062D 1010hw and renaming the bandwidth file with Peters DSO Tool was no problem  :-+. Easy to understand and on the first page  :).

But I have 2 questions and it would be nice if you could answer it.
At page 133 the is a picture of the firmware you made with sample rate indicator. But i couldn't find a version for the 1062D hw1010 (fw 3.30.0 140111.0 ).
I didn't take the "P" version (of course) since it'S not a "P"  ;). Did you make a version for my model? If not, it'S ok too  ;).

Second question is about the digital filter for the corner frequency. I tried to make a "tst" file and upload it with the DSO Tool, but the scope hangs and the file is not uploaded.
(But can simple restart the scope.)
Is there a way to create the file and the "[filter] ... " content with the DSO Tool shell (commands)?
I don't need to see 400 MHz  ;), but 250-300 would be nice (the amplitude dosn't matter).
I would prefer doing this mod with the DSO Tool and not hacking into the UART chip.

Quick Edit: Just got the file to the scope  :). Found your post in the mikrocontroller.net tread with the cp command to copy from USB Stick.
But there is  -after reboot of course- no message which says that the tst file is used? This would be the question left.

Thank you very much and nice greetings, Thomas  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:43:42 pm by Redcat »
Voltcraft 630-2,Tek 2215A,Tek 475,really handy DIY microcontroller component tester (R/C/D/Q...), ZD-915, ZD-931,Voltcraft 1062D - of course hacked :)

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2303 on: May 10, 2014, 10:20:01 am »
Hi Tinhead,
at first thank you very very much for all your effort and time you invest in this project.
Have the voltcraft 1062D 1010hw and renaming the bandwidth file with Peters DSO Tool was no problem  :-+. Easy to understand and on the first page  :).

But I have 2 questions and it would be nice if you could answer it.
At page 133 the is a picture of the firmware you made with sample rate indicator. But i couldn't find a version for the 1062D hw1010 (fw 3.30.0 140111.0 ).
I didn't take the "P" version (of course) since it'S not a "P"  ;). Did you make a version for my model? If not, it'S ok too  ;).

Second question is about the digital filter for the corner frequency. I tried to make a "tst" file and upload it with the DSO Tool, but the scope hangs and the file is not uploaded.
(But can simple restart the scope.)
Is there a way to create the file and the "[filter] ... " content with the DSO Tool shell (commands)?
I don't need to see 400 MHz  ;), but 250-300 would be nice (the amplitude dosn't matter).
I would prefer doing this mod with the DSO Tool and not hacking into the UART chip.

Quick Edit: Just got the file to the scope  :). Found your post in the mikrocontroller.net tread with the cp command to copy from USB Stick.
But there is  -after reboot of course- no message which says that the tst file is used? This would be the question left.

Thank you very much and nice greetings, Thomas  :D :D

try using the FFT function,without the tst file the signals are highly attenuated over 200MHZ(mine 260mhz)

Offline Redcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Ask why not, not why.
    • redcatimaging
« Reply #2304 on: May 10, 2014, 01:54:57 pm »
Thank you n8ddd  :-+.

I'm just in the process of exploring the new functions of the digital scope which my 475 didn't have  ;).
The scope is better than I thought. Of course it's really not the fastest, but for me it's working (and if I really need more power than there are still all the analog ones, which I will never give away - at least the Teks  ;) ). It's small, light and I can easy make screenshots and take it to where I want. And of course all the measurement stuff - great.
I bought it, because it seems to be the better of the cheap scopes, was recommended here and has for me a very good price/performance ratio.

Nice greetings, Tom
Voltcraft 630-2,Tek 2215A,Tek 475,really handy DIY microcontroller component tester (R/C/D/Q...), ZD-915, ZD-931,Voltcraft 1062D - of course hacked :)

Offline Kevin Liu

• Contributor
    • LPKF ProtoMat User Club
« Reply #2305 on: May 14, 2014, 06:37:33 am »
walt Thanks for your info.
I still have a problem that is I also need a works firmware.
I crash it before backup. :((
Otherwise how can I extract it from factory firmware?

Kevin Liu
 :-+  :D
bootloader -
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg75015/#msg75015
i.e.
www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/?action=dlattach;attach=4153
supervivi.bin

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #2306 on: May 14, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »
I still have a problem that is I also need a works firmware.
I don't have the fullflash for programmator, but if you successfully recovered bootloader, I will upload full factory backup firmware  today evening.

HW0, old Tekway firmware whith Chinese lang interface.
Sorry, but from factory I make backup exactly that.

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #2307 on: May 14, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »
Kevin Liu
http://rghost.ru/55157657

Password for archive: 0571tekway
Archive made 7zip open archiver
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.22/

Offline Kevin Liu

• Contributor
« Reply #2308 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:19 am »

walt thanks a lot.

I already download the file and I try write vivi.bin or supervivi.bin into DSO via oflash and OpenJTAG tools.
But I never see message out from serial port. Does it means I fail of write bootloader back?
Are there something did I miss?

Kevin Liu
http://rghost.ru/55157657

Password for archive: 0571tekway
Archive made 7zip open archiver
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.22/

Offline Kevin Liu

• Contributor
« Reply #2309 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:57 am »
Actually, My DSO only response at one supervivi-128M that download from FriendARM but it still can not restore fw_backup.bin back.
I try several version supervivi just this one is USB:OK but still can not work.
Does any one know why?

Offline walt

• Contributor
« Reply #2310 on: May 15, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
Actually, My DSO only response at one supervivi-128M that download from FriendARM but it still can not restore fw_backup.bin back.
I try several version supervivi just this one is USB:OK but still can not work.
Does any one know why?
What yours DSO output to terminal?

It must be like that

Without this step, do something is no sense.

upd.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg35683/#msg35683
See in attached archive bootloader& flashmap
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:24:35 pm by walt »

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2311 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:27 am »
MSO5074F:
Soft Version 3.2.35 (140219.0)
Hard Version 10020x54028205
Serial No T1G/654 000 173.

* Horizontal offset only goes up to 2.3mS, regardless of your timebase, so on long timebases it's effectively zero.

Can this offset be solved by self calibration?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:33:23 am by rosasharn »

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2312 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:44 am »
MSO5074F:

* Horizontal offset only goes up to 2.3mS, regardless of your timebase, so on long timebases it's effectively zero.

Can this offset be solved by self calibration?

if you mean horizontal offset between digital and analog signals, then the answer is no. The same problem is on the 2ch models, they fixed it already a bit, but still not good enought. Sure, when zooming in at some point there will be offset due the resolution while sampling, but what i saw on my 2ch model (and i think as they haven't fixed on 2ch that the same error is on 4ch) have nothing to do with resolution but with pure skew between two data sources (and THAT can be calculated per each timebase position and moved, and honestly for DSO they moving and delaying data as well, so no idea what is the problem here).

Send them every day an email, with bug report and question if and if not when they will be ready :) that might help, really.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline pezibaer

« Reply #2313 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
Please help... may be its already in this very long thread.. but i don't see it. .. I just updated my Hantek Handheld DSO1062b firmeware with a the latest Firmeware from Hantek Website.. big mistake.. .. i don't recognised that this firmware was older than the one i already had on my device..????  Now USB WAVE saving doesn't save waves like bevore.. and it seams relay Buggy..?? I see there are other firmware ..like 2.06... but that ist for Tekaway 1062b.. .. which is no Handheld???.. or ist that a kind of universal firmware??.. Ist there any other newer firmaware i can use for Hantek DSO 1062b?

regards
Pezi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2314 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
no, you have to use only firmware for Hantek Handhelds, nothing else. I don't know what it was before on your handheld, you should ask support (they can tell you more when they have your SN)
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2315 on: May 22, 2014, 12:58:57 am »

Send them every day an email, with bug report and question if and if not when they will be ready :) that might help, really.

Thanks for your suggestion, Tinhead.
I'll try.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2316 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:52 am »

The menu in the device reports the following:
MSO5074F:
Serial No T1G/654 000 173.

* Included PC software - unbelievably bad, looks like Tektronix Wavestar (which was also hideous) but seems unable to reload any waveform files you may have saved. I've tried DSO-USB Tool and it works fine, with the exception of only showing 2 channels instead of 4.

The latest version software on http://www.hantek.com.cn/en/ProductDetail_3_127.html
hasn't waveform files storage problem.
You may download it to test.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2317 on: May 27, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
Hantek seems to be more and more weird ... the MSO5074F(G) is gone from product page, there is MSO5054F(G) instead. There are no 2M point in the specs anymore but 1M (ok, at leat this has been fixed). The bandwidth is now specified as 40MHz (where one could think xx5x means 50MHz, hmm) instead of 70MHz. On chinese website there are still 5074F(G) listed, and of couse one can still buy them (but no sign of MSO5054F(G)). On OneDrive there is as well only MSO5054F(G) stuff, no sign of MSO5074F(G). This is all already weird, but check that : in the user manual, from MSO5054FG, there is picture showing MSO5054FG but with "70MHz / 1GSs" sticker on it. And now? What bw/numbering is real and what PS-made?

Another thing - they specified 4k <-> 1M as Logoc Anayzer Depth. So exact the same as on MSO5000D. However, due firmware bug there is always only 4k available on MSO5000D. Since 1.5yrs ... My question is - how is that working on MSO50x4F(G) ?

Offline benjamin545

• Contributor
« Reply #2318 on: May 28, 2014, 01:33:16 am »
what about this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/H100-Hantek-MSO7084BLG-4-Channel-Oscilloscope-8-Channel-Logic-Analyzer-25MHz-Arb-Waveform-Generator-2Gsa-s/1857305228.html

the MSO7084BLG

what is that? how is it that much different than the MSO5074FG other than the small mhz difference and the older style LA headers

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2319 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:26 am »
what about this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/H100-Hantek-MSO7084BLG-4-Channel-Oscilloscope-8-Channel-Logic-Analyzer-25MHz-Arb-Waveform-Generator-2Gsa-s/1857305228.html

the MSO7084BLG

what is that? how is it that much different than the MSO5074FG other than the small mhz difference and the older style LA headers

this is completely different series, with 2GS/s instead of 1GS/s for DSO, an LA with 1GS/s instead of 500MS/s and frontend with up to 300MHz (when hacked or original bought in it's max. option). Disadvantage is only the 32k memory depth vs. 1M on MSO5074F.

So now the question, how and is the 1M working when LA enabled on MSO5074F? If not, like on MSO5000D series, then i don't need that "feature on paper only". When working as DSO and all 4channels, these slowly updating 250kpoint (vs. fast updating 4k) per channel on MSO5074F are less important than the 500MS/s on MSO7084BLG (vs. 250MS/s per channel on MSO5074FG).

Huge memory is for sure always nice thing, but honestly, without proper search/mask/protol triger/etc is half as good as small memory with decent firmware. And then of course the question: what do i need to do my work? And what i more important for me?

Many things that lot of ppl are posting in their reviews are simply esoteric jokes; like "oh, that enclosure is beautiful slim" - my answer to that "and can you push buttons without using glue for that too-high but slim enclosure?", next example "oh, on that DSO the knobs can be wiggle a bit more than on the other one" - my answer "wtf? and how is this affecting your work? right, not at all" :rant: :rant: :rant:

So back to your question :) Well, be the first and take it. Honestly, if you don't need huge memory (e.g. like on Rigol or Siglent) then this one is good starting point - and i bet it can be hacked to 300MHz bw anyway. Having 2GS/s nd 4ch is already good thing, extra 8 digital channels with 1GS/s on top are additional advantage (unless someone have an LA with variable treshold and trigger in/out, so none of these 5USD saleae clones or even those for 100-200USD).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2320 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »
I've added on first page link to my Hantek's OneDrive. One can find there their latest firmwares, etc.

I've added as well link to my OneDrive. There are only few things right now, i have to sort them first (honestly, since 2009 i did collected over 20GB of dumps, tools, informations ...) and then upload as much as useful.  I will for sure not upload user made dumps (as they contains S/N) and any other user related informations, but i will create some "master restore images", for all that hardware/sw versions i can.

I would be happy of course if you guys could support that OneDrive a bit more, there are lot of things to open:

- it would be great if someone could spend (as i did) some time and create schematics of S3C2416 based MSO/DSOs

- or at least parts of them (teamwork?)

- some more dumps would be great, currently looking for DSO4000 series, DSO1000S handhelds, MSO5074F, MSO7xxx,
  DSO1000BV handhelds with SN > 15000, Extech Handheld dumps

- some more pictures, currently looking for DSO4000 series, MSO5074F, Extech Handhelds, bottom side of DSO1000S PCB
  (top side has been made already by davidefa, see here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg433286/#msg433286 )

- some CPLD dumps are still missing, currently i do have everything to repair/restore hw0, hw1005, hw1007, hw1001 (handhelds
  with S3C2440 SoC) models. But no CPLD dumps from all S3C2416 based models. Just check what empty on my OneDrive

- and finally you can support me directly, there is PP "donate button" when you click on my "home website" icon in my profile.

Offline Mafdet

« Reply #2321 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:09 pm »
Hello, I just bought a Voltcraft DSO-1062D and I seem to be having some issues with it.
I adjusted the probe compensation according to the manual.

When I connect a probe to the scope's reference  5V@1KHz it looks alright, unless I set the probe to 1X and set the V/Div to 200mV/Div or lower.
It looks alright at 500mV/Div but gets a weird offset and curve of about 100mV if I go further down (I can hear a relay click between 500mV/Div and 200mV/Div) Is that to be expected? I can reproduce the exact same issue on both channels - I had the scope running for 30 minutes and tried the self-calibration too.
See the images:
500mV/Div:

200mV/Div (weird offset with curve?):

Info about the scope:
model: DSO1062D
sw version: 3.30.0 (140111.0)
hw version 1010x55558344

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2322 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:26 pm »
Hello, I just bought a Voltcraft DSO-1062D and I seem to be having some issues with it.
I adjusted the probe compensation according to the manual.
When I connect a probe to the scope's reference  5V@1KHz it looks alright,

first of all, the probe calibration is only for x10 range, not for x1.

unless I set the probe to 1X and set the V/Div to 200mV/Div or lower.

there is nothing wrong with DSO but with your understanding of what DSO can measure. There is volt/DIV setting, DSO have 10DIV max (8.4 DIV visible). In 500mV/DIV that means you have full scale 5Vpp, and when that signal is set in the middle like on you pictures (which is typical for DC coupled signal here), then you already over the scale. With 200mV/DIV you already 500% of the scale, and i even think that you simply switched x10 to x10, without changing then scale on DSO, so you in principle measuring 5Vpp signal with setting 20mV/DIV (x5 Div from screen middle to max scale that 100mV but you applied 5V .. so the signal have to bee complettly crap).

Offline Mafdet

« Reply #2323 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »
there is nothing wrong with DSO but with your understanding of what DSO can measure. There is volt/DIV setting, DSO have 10DIV max (8.4 DIV visible). In 500mV/DIV that means you have full scale 5Vpp, and when that signal is set in the middle like on you pictures (which is typical for DC coupled signal here), then you already over the scale. With 200mV/DIV you already 500% of the scale, and i even think that you simply switched x10 to x10, without changing then scale on DSO, so you in principle measuring 5Vpp signal with setting 20mV/DIV (x5 Div from screen middle to max scale that 100mV but you applied 5V .. so the signal have to bee complettly crap).
In both the pictures the probe as well as the DSO are set to X1 - so it is really 200mV/DIV (therefore 100mV offset).
So does that mean that when the signal is 5V (DC coupled), I can't use anything below 500mV/DIV because the top of the signal is too large, so the bottom gets 'distorted/incorrectly measured'?
That 100mV jump just really got me worried.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and the clarification.

Offline condor

• Contributor
« Reply #2324 on: June 02, 2014, 11:59:33 pm »
I need some help! 
I inadvertently flashed the wrong BIOS to my DSO5062. I loaded the MSO BIOS by error (dst1kb_2.7.1_15202d_fact130826.0.up). Now my unit boots, displays a normal screen, but the screen menu buttons do not work, the device eventually freezes and then reboots. I am honestly confused by all the information I found here about doing a restore, so I am asking (politely) for help in restoring the unit - using the best method - so I do not make things worse. The correct BIOS from Hantek looks to be "dso5kb_func_dso5202b20140111.up" but I also have "dst1kb_2.06.3_15202b_fact(130814.0).up"

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf