Author Topic: How do you turn the Rigol MSO5000 series off?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline bensandersonTopic starter

How do you turn the Rigol MSO5000 series off?
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:40:55 pm »
Hi, the question might seem odd to you but how do you turn this thing off? The switch cuts off power which feels wrong. Is there a hidden menu or something to power it off as you do with your computer?

Thanks.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: How do you turn the Rigol MSO5000 series off?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:44:17 pm »
Thats right, hard power switch.

They had soft power on some devices (DS2000, DG1022). But now they've changed everything to mains switches (MSO5000, DG800, DP832), which I like.

I haven't heard of any corruption issues with MSO5000, so hard switch is fine if done right.
However, I've seen it done wrong, causing many issues. But in that case the device was writing regularly to the NAND, I don't believe MSO would need to do that.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: bensanderson

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:06:07 pm »
The recent Rigol's MSO NAND architecture is very resilient. It's very hard to brick.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, bensanderson

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:58 am »
Hi, the question might seem odd to you but how do you turn this thing off? The switch cuts off power which feels wrong. Is there a hidden menu or something to power it off as you do with your computer?

Thanks.

It's closer to a micro than it is your computer. Chunks of its flash are read only and the application isn't writing itself nor the operating system. The worst case is you lose some data if you storing it internally but that parts that matter are fine. Theres an assortment of Linux file systems designed for this kind of abuse.

The following users thanked this post: bensanderson

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:02:17 pm »
Thats right, hard power switch.

They had soft power on some devices (DS2000, DG1022). But now they've changed everything to mains switches (MSO5000, DG800, DP832), which I like.

I haven't heard of any corruption issues with MSO5000, so hard switch is fine if done right.
However, I've seen it done wrong, causing many issues. But in that case the device was writing regularly to the NAND, I don't believe MSO would need to do that.

Normally, this is bad for filesystems, for electronics, it does not matter. In ye old days, harddisks used to 'park' their heads just before shutdown, but I think these days, they do this even without power (magnets and springs? parked by default?)

The problem exists really only for filesystems as you may have open files, be half-way through a write to storage and them BAM, power gone, corrupted file system.

The recent Rigol's MSO NAND architecture is very resilient. It's very hard to brick.
Can you explain what you mean here?

They use 'standard' MLC chips with standard drivers, nothing resilient there. They do use a 'read-only' filesystem with few writes, which is ok, but they still allow writes to the filesystem (good for us, but really bad for the device). They should have used squashfs with an overlay or something to be more robust :)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:13:15 pm »

You have to deliberately ruin the bootloader to not being able to reload the NAND. And that seems to be accessible only via open case.

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 11:23:37 am »

You have to deliberately ruin the bootloader to not being able to reload the NAND. And that seems to be accessible only via open case.
Ah, ok what you meant is indeed, it's hard to brick the board, due to the bootloader being on a separate flash chip.

Actually the real 'NAND' architecture is very poorly done and is very easy to corrupt as they are using raw fat32 on the storage partition if I remember correctly. So some improvements are needed here to make the flash more resiliant for wear (squashfs ontop of UBI for example comes to mind for the root fs)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf