Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 781528 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2350 on: March 14, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
Now this 'Modulation Meter' makes sense to me. Opposed to, for example, the Marconi  TF 2304. How can a modulation meter be a untuned instrument? Modulation of what? Or is it supposed to be fed with one signal only, like a transmitter monitor? But for FM, it must still be told somehow where the carrier is!

Have a read of the Sayrosa 257 manual, it explains it all but those meters will lock to the strongest local signal up to 2 ish GHz and they are pretty damn accurate

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2351 on: March 14, 2019, 10:17:27 pm »
Now this 'Modulation Meter' makes sense to me. Opposed to, for example, the Marconi  TF 2304. How can a modulation meter be a untuned instrument? Modulation of what? Or is it supposed to be fed with one signal only, like a transmitter monitor? But for FM, it must still be told somehow where the carrier is!

Have a read of the Sayrosa 257 manual, it explains it all but those meters will lock to the strongest local signal up to 2 ish GHz and they are pretty damn accurate
In the specs of this instrument it is pointed out far more clearly. For example, the lock indicator and the 10dB requirement. The Marconi does not have a (visible) lock indicator, so nothing led me to think that it might lock. So it's akin to the Interceptor with precise measurement. Nice.
Aaaarghh, what have you done? It's well known that I suffer from TEA!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2352 on: March 15, 2019, 12:12:06 pm »

In the specs of this instrument it is pointed out far more clearly. For example, the lock indicator and the 10dB requirement. The Marconi does not have a (visible) lock indicator, so nothing led me to think that it might lock. So it's akin to the Interceptor with precise measurement. Nice.
Aaaarghh, what have you done? It's well known that I suffer from TEA!

Yeah, sorry, not sorry.

There's a Sayrosa 257 under my bench, lovely piece of kit, which agrees very closely with the modulation analysis functions of my CMU200 for FM, it's got the extra feature of being able to deal with AM, If you've a need for modulation measurement then it's a very nice piece of kit.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2353 on: March 15, 2019, 12:41:24 pm »
Picked up an HP 8754A VNA for around $100, then found a 8501a normalizer for $35.  The dang test set cost as much as those two pieces.

Everything appears to work, although there's a little vertical instability in the display I have to track down.  Have a few more RF bits to track down to get it properly set up.

Have an RF project coming up and needed a VNA but couldn't afford 2K+ for a more modern instrument.  Without the normalizer you're supposed to mark the reference trace on the graticle with a grease pencil  :-DD

Offline velik_kazakov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2354 on: March 21, 2019, 12:40:20 pm »
In last month I grab a Fluke 5440 for 150 GBP +30GBP shipping. Now it is on my desk repaired and working. Wait to receive Fluke 845 (ordered for 50GBP) in few days.
Sorry for my bad English!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2355 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:31 pm »
Picked up an HP 8754A VNA for around $100, then found a 8501a normalizer for $35.  The dang test set cost as much as those two pieces.

Everything appears to work, although there's a little vertical instability in the display I have to track down.  Have a few more RF bits to track down to get it properly set up.

Have an RF project coming up and needed a VNA but couldn't afford 2K+ for a more modern instrument.  Without the normalizer you're supposed to mark the reference trace on the graticle with a grease pencil  :-DD

Wow, that's a steal. Even if you have to sink some money into it, still a great deal.  :-+

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2356 on: March 21, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
velik_kazakov   Those were good buys!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2357 on: March 23, 2019, 12:14:34 am »
Pigged out on attenuators somewhat over the last two months.
Triggered by the prospect of having to travel with the brutish cast-casing types my company owns.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:17:33 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2358 on: March 23, 2019, 12:45:04 am »
Damn, 30 watts. That thing will get HOT!

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2359 on: March 25, 2019, 03:15:20 am »
Today I picked up an Analogic AN3100 10VDC voltage standard that was listed on Facebook Marketplace for $40. I plugged it in and tested it before I bought it and it looked good. The price wasn't too bad considering the condition.  Here's a couple of photos of it connected to my fluke 8842

Offline velik_kazakov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2360 on: March 27, 2019, 08:00:50 am »
velik_kazakov   Those were good buys!
Sure - here have some pics from restoration of both. The fluke 5440 have other repairs, but no time to write some words with pictures for the full recaping and tests after repair.
http://multizet.com/index.php/2019/03/27/fluke-845/
http://multizet.com/index.php/2019/03/15/fluke5440/
Sorry for my bad English!

The following users thanked this post: Johnny10

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2361 on: April 01, 2019, 02:11:54 am »
One of the mythical <$50 scopes ... $22.50 40Mhz Hitachi. Local pickup so shipping was $0. The bezel around the screen is broken but the thing seems built like a rock. Really amazing how it is completely silent, although I suppose that you could add a passive heat sink to a modern DSO and you will still get something smaller and lighter :D

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2362 on: April 02, 2019, 02:52:04 pm »
These are usually 2-3 times the price paid. A few minutes of repair...  VOILA! Alive and well.

WooHoo!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2363 on: April 02, 2019, 04:11:55 pm »
It's awesome you got it going - but the seller offered it to me for hundreds less  >:D >:D >:D
VE7FM

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #2364 on: April 02, 2019, 05:28:40 pm »
 8) digital System.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e

Offline kevinf

• Contributor
Re: List your test equipment &quot;scores&quot; here!
« Reply #2365 on: April 02, 2019, 05:47:11 pm »
I sold a fluke 85 during the week and the guy mentioned he's replacing a faulty 85 (dial issue ?). I'm on the lookout for an 85 LCD and have a unit for parts so say I'll take the faulty unit as a part exchange and posted off my one.
Well the part exchange unit arrived yesterday, cleaner than the one I sold just without a battery fitted so I banged one in (all original inside with no bodges) and all the scales look good, confused I checked the fuses and input protection no issues. I then checked all the common settings and all worked fine.
 I think I just took a mint 85 as a px for a not so mint (but still fully functional) one [emoji848]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2366 on: April 02, 2019, 06:11:22 pm »
It's awesome you got it going - but the seller offered it to me for hundreds less  >:D >:D >:D

Hundreds less than WHAT???   :blah:

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2367 on: April 02, 2019, 06:18:08 pm »
In the last time I scored quite an amount of used (and unused) reels of SMDs which got thrown away due to the recent moving of the factory. Well, and many other stuff, but right now I am going through the SMDs, taking them off the reels and placing them into those little SMD.... holder... things.

Also I got this nice 19" rack on wheels (50€), as well as the 2HE Server (without HDDs obviously, 10€) and the two empty 19" cases (5€ each). A question to those: what are they called in english? In german we say "Baugruppenträger", which translates to carrier for assemblies.

Also a pretty nice score: Two of those quad high voltage PSUs (one defective and missing one channel), both together for 25€.

Not in a picture but also something which got disposed at work: An isolation transformer, 230V to 115V - 0 - 115V, whith a whopping 5kVA. Cost me only 50€ and is right now in a corner of the room until I find a suitable case to put that thing into - preferably a case with wheels, that monster is heavy!

Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2368 on: April 02, 2019, 06:26:28 pm »
These are usually 2-3 times the price paid. A few minutes of repair...  VOILA! Alive and well.

WooHoo!
How much did the seller accept?

And great that you got it working.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2369 on: April 02, 2019, 06:28:00 pm »
as well as the 2HE Server (without HDDs obviously, 10€)

FYI: 1 HE   =   44.45 mm

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2370 on: April 02, 2019, 06:29:37 pm »
Let's wait for The Steve to tell us...  apparently he has the answer  :-DD

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2372 on: April 02, 2019, 06:42:04 pm »

I know, thanks :)
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2373 on: April 02, 2019, 07:07:48 pm »
Let's wait for The Steve to tell us...  apparently he has the answer  :-DD

$1500.00
VE7FM

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2374 on: April 02, 2019, 07:08:56 pm »

I know, thanks :)
Ok, now I see it too - I thought they were thicker from the first look. :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf