Author Topic: Transplanting a tracking generator option into another 8591C  (Read 685 times)

Offline KitskiTopic starter

Hi Team,

I have a non-working 8591C with option 011 (Tracking generator) installed and am considering removing this assy (as shown in the Service Guide, p469, Fig 11-18) and inserting into another working 8591C.
While it looks like a nightmare to physically remove and replace, would the donor's 8591C firmware recognise the new module, show on the user-menu and actually do it's TG magic ?

Any suggestions and hints warmly welcome !

Thanks in advance,

Kitski

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Transplanting a tracking generator option into another 8591C
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 05:15:37 am »
I would love something like that for my 8594L.

Offline KitskiTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:35:51 am »
Hi Bob91343,

Are you seeking a complete replacement option 011 assembly to replace an existing faulty assy or to retro-fit the option like I'm attempting to do ? 
I'd rather hear from someone who has successfully removed this 011 assy before attempting it myself as any securing screws are (very) well hidden and the service manual offers few, if any clues.

If the assy can be transplanted and the firmware recognises the option, it may be a worthwhile exercise.  Otherwise ....  :)

Kitksi

Offline ps

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 12:22:17 pm »
I have a non-working 8591C with option 011 (Tracking generator) installed and am considering removing this assy (as shown in the Service Guide, p469, Fig 11-18) and inserting into another working 8591C.
While it looks like a nightmare to physically remove and replace, would the donor's 8591C firmware recognise the new module, show on the user-menu and actually do it's TG magic ?

With a HP 8591A this worked without any issues. There are two calibration constants that need to be entered after the TG has been fitted. Usually they are written onto the module, otherwise you will have to extract them from the donor system before scrapping.

The following users thanked this post: Kitski

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf