Author Topic: MSO2072A-S vs Ultra Station  (Read 4739 times)

Offline 1.21gigawattsTopic starter

MSO2072A-S vs Ultra Station
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:49:23 am »
I Just got an mso2072a-s, and it's very nice but the documentation leaves something to be desired. I have loaded Ultra Sigma and Ultra Station, modified the ultra station.ini file by adding "MSO2072A,MSO2072A-S" to the DS2000 = line (as described in the giant thread), and Ultrastation does run from ultra sigma and it does recognize the scope.

I have generated a simple wave, and then clicked on Communication -> Download Wave, selected Channel 1, and selected Channel1 output. When I press OK, I do see some activity on the scope screen (input ch 1 is connected to source 1), but it's just low-level random noise.

Quite obviously, I'm missing a step here.  I can create arb waveforms manually using the scope's controls, but doing it on the computer would be FAR easier.

Also, while we're on the subject, I can save and load waveforms to a USB stick in .arb format. Is there some magic incantation to get ultra station to save a file in .arb format? Maybe even more to the point, is there some other program I ought to be using?

[update 1]
On further testing, I see that the arb frequency and amplitude do get set when I download the waveform - just nothing comes out.

[update 2]
A friend came over with his brand new DS1074Z-S, and Ultra Station talks to it just fine - I sent it all sorts of waveforms. But it STILL won't talk to my MSO2072A-S. Rigol tech support hasn't answered (though they did acknowledge) my email yet.

[update 3]
I'd like to say "never mind" about the whole thing, but I really need this to work. I have written a quicky c# program to talk to the scope and send some points to the arb generator. It's actually a lot easier than I expected. So, what I'm planning now is to read a .csv or .txt file from Ultra Station and send it to the scope. An extra step, but at least it will work. When it's all cooked up, I'll post it here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:37:41 am by 1.21gigawatts »

Re: MSO2072A-S vs Ultra Station
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:57:11 am »
Has Anybody had any success programming a DS2000A-S series arb generator with Ultra Station? Am I really out here all alone?

Offline paulsohn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »
I'm surprised that you were unable to get Ultra Sigma to recognize your MSO2072A-S scope.    I just got my DS1074Z-S and it does work with Ultra Sigma.  What peaked my curiosity is that you have written some software to talk to your scope, please keep me informed to what you are cooking up.  Thanks

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »
For those keeping score at home, I'm happy to report that Rigol tech support sent me a firmware update, and the problem is fixed. I'm happy to have that out of the way.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »
For those keeping score at home, I'm happy to report that Rigol tech support sent me a firmware update, and the problem is fixed. I'm happy to have that out of the way.

I wonder if this is a new firmware?  What is your full firmware revision number?  The latest I am aware of is 00.03.00.01.03

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »
Can 1.2 Gigawatts share what project you are working on regarding UltraStation? =)

I am thinking of some other projects as well.
For some specific protocols it might be possible to check timing constraints through a computer program, e.g. if you have a bus with one master and several slaves, you could write software that checks if timing constraints, e.g. if slave does not respond to master in time, or in other circumstances.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »
Can 1.2 Gigawatts share what project you are working on regarding UltraStation? =)

I am thinking of some other projects as well.
For some specific protocols it might be possible to check timing constraints through a computer program, e.g. if you have a bus with one master and several slaves, you could write software that checks if timing constraints, e.g. if slave does not respond to master in time, or in other circumstances.

Any update on these UltraStation projects out here? =)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf