Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 144957 times)

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2021, 05:55:22 am »
When the rotary switch has a separate VAC position the reason is often that it switches a capacitor in series with the input. VDC and VDC+VAC must be on another position because they are done without capacitor.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2021, 07:30:34 am »
It would make more sense to me if they integrated ACV with the DC and AC+DC? settings like the other parameters.  So much for HID protocol.

There are specifc reasons why there is a separate AC volt rage.
The BM235 meter for example (among other brands) that shares the AC & DC switch position has a limitation of what it can measure, and also hence auto-range in the presence of AC+DC signals.
The AC position also allows dedicated AC coupling.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline schwaggins

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #327 on: February 23, 2021, 03:32:45 am »
DON'T BUY THE BMH-02 MAGNETIC HANGER IT APPEARS TO HAVE PERMANENTLY DAMAGED THE BEEPER IN THE METER, THE BEEPER IS  INAUDIBLE WHILE THE MAGNETIC HANGER IS PRESENT & IS NOW ONLY HALF THE VOLUME IT SHOULD BE WHEN REMOVED

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #328 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:16 am »
Answering the fuse question turned into a main channel video:

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith, dcac

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #329 on: February 23, 2021, 09:48:08 am »
You might get complaints, as you are bordering on swearing, or worse, when the thing broke on you, unexpectedly.

https://youtu.be/OVz9YPfMHuI?t=277

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2021, 10:55:43 am »
You might get complaints, as you are bordering on swearing, or worse, when the thing broke on you, unexpectedly.

The word bloody, are you serious?  :-//

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2021, 11:00:37 am »
Guess, he is bloody serious.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2021, 11:00:43 am »

I suspect it is differences, between countries, cultures, how people have been brought up, etc.

I agree, it is 'BORDERLINE' swearing.

As the video was unlisted when I watched that part, with around 34 views, I thought it a good time to mention it. In case you changed your mind.

tl;dr
I was serious. But it is relatively MINOR, I agree.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: February 23, 2021, 11:06:00 am »
I had a quick look (Google). It seems the Australians, have accepted it, and don't consider it swearing.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody

Usage outside the UK
Bloody has always been a very common part of Australian speech and has not been considered profane there for some time. The word was dubbed "the Australian adjective" by The Bulletin on 18 August 1894. One Australian performer, Kevin Bloody Wilson, has even made it his middle name. Also in Australia, the word bloody is frequently used as a verbal hyphen, or infix, correctly called tmesis as in "fanbloodytastic".

EDIT:
  • I'm on the VERY HIGH sensitivity side, as regards stuff like this. So, DON'T worry too much about me complaining about it
  • Bloody H***, is the REALLY bad one. Although even that, is probably not considered too bad these days, I suspect
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:10:01 am by MK14 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #334 on: February 23, 2021, 11:13:26 am »
It seems the Australians, have accepted it, and don't consider it swearing.

In 99% of situations, it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2021, 11:27:45 am »

:-DD
Except when described as bloody and are actually covered in it !
Those that prepare their own from paddock to plate think nothing of it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2021, 11:41:37 am »
    • I'm on the VERY HIGH sensitivity side, as regards stuff like this. So, DON'T worry too much about me complaining about it
    • Bloody H***, is the REALLY bad one. Although even that, is probably not considered too bad these days, I suspect

Bloody oath, too bloody right mate, you said it.
    You wouldn't survive in Australia.
    It's even in our official government tourism commercials!

Don't worry, I ignore everyone who complains about my speech as a matter of course. Well, actually, if anything it makes me want to do it more  ;D[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:43:52 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #337 on: February 23, 2021, 11:50:14 am »
    Bloody oath, too bloody right mate, you said it.
    You wouldn't survive in Australia.
    Don't worry, I ignore everyone who complains about my speech as a matter of course. Well, actually, if anything it makes me want to do it more  ;D

There use to be on British Television, comedy programmes, (made by UK people, for UK people), making fun of how the British are, with things like swear words, and attitudes to other things.

At the end of the day, it is an 'Engineering' channel, for mainly engineers. So, it should be acceptable.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think some of the engineering channels, are considerably worse.

• Administrator
      • EEVblog
    « Reply #338 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:32 am »

Only with the bloody poms, Canadians and Singaporeans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_where_the_bloody_hell_are_you%3F

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #339 on: February 23, 2021, 12:57:08 pm »
    Interesting video, but it still doesn't answer the question of why Brymen installed an underrated SIBA 400mA fuse instead of a more appropriate 630mA one, in their 600mA range multimeter?

The ASTM fuse is built to UL248 standard, which means it has to blow within one hour at 135% of nominal current.
    The SIBA fuse has to comply with IEC 60127, which stipulates that it must not open for one hour at 150% of nominal current.
    That should explain why the SIBA fuse lasts a lot longer at 600mA than the ASTM unit.

It is still a mystery as to how a SIBA fuse could comply with both standards at the same time.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:01:52 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #340 on: February 23, 2021, 01:04:49 pm »
    Someone wrote me about the magnetic strap having an effect on the beepers loudness.  I was able to replicate it on all the 78x meters I have.   It's not a small effect.  You can make the audio very faint with it.  Really odd.   I have written Brymen about it. 

I don't use these magnetic hangers often and wonder if there are other meters with a similar problem. 

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #341 on: February 23, 2021, 01:22:01 pm »

You said "bugger" as well!

Oh, now I've said it!  :scared:

At the end of the day, it is an 'Engineering' channel, for mainly engineers. So, it should be acceptable.

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think some of the engineering channels, are considerably worse.

Big Clive lets the odd "F" word slip past his lips.

I know of another (british) toober who has a large selection of 'substitute' words, eg. "What the fudge is that?". Some of them are quite creative.

Weird how the substitutes aren't deemed offensive when the intention/intonation is exactly the same.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:29:35 pm by Fungus »

• Administrator
      • EEVblog
    « Reply #342 on: February 23, 2021, 02:03:19 pm »
    Interesting video, but it still doesn't answer the question of why Brymen installed an underrated SIBA 400mA fuse instead of a more appropriate 630mA one, in their 600mA range multimeter?

Fluke and Keysight use a 440mA fuse on the 600mA range, better ask them too.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
    • Eternally curious
      • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
    « Reply #343 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:55 pm »
    Don't worry, I ignore everyone who complains about my speech as a matter of course. Well, actually, if anything it makes me want to do it more

Right, you're bloody well right
    You know you got a right to say
    Me I don't care anyway
      ;D

Bussmann 44/100 starts the plot at 300s above 1A on their chart
    https://datasheet.octopart.com/DMM-B-44/100-Cooper-Bussmann-datasheet-85426.pdf
    Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
    « Reply #344 on: February 23, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »

Another thing to consider - how many cycles of (over)current can the fuse handle. Even if it didn’t blow on the first cycle - let it cool down and then try again.

To me if an Amp input is rated 600mA I would expect it to handle 600mA almost indefinitely and for a considerable amout of cycles. What'is the point of printing Max 0.6A on the meter if that doesn’t really tell you for how long or how many times it can handle that.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Jacon

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #345 on: February 23, 2021, 04:13:23 pm »

That's been addressed in an earlier post.
    Bussmann doesn't make a 600mA fuse for multimeters and thus Fluke and Keysight limit their range to 400mA, with some allowance above for a stated limited time.

The Fluke 87 V has a a range of 400mA only, with a specified limit of 400mA continuous and overload 600mA for 18 hours.
    The Fluke 179 has a range of 400mA only, with a specified limit of 600 mA overload for 2 minutes maximum, 10 minutes rest.

The Brymen 786 should have a limited mA range of 400mA, not 600mA, to avoid heat damage to the meter.

Keysight: Current can be measured at 440 mA continuously, and > 440 mA to 600 mA for 20 hours maximum.
    To avoid blowing the multimeter’s 440 mA fuse, use the terminal only if you are sure the current is less than 440 mA.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:58:22 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #346 on: February 23, 2021, 06:30:57 pm »
    Enjoyed the video on the black art of fuses.   

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
    • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
    « Reply #347 on: February 23, 2021, 06:49:52 pm »

Only with the bloody poms, Canadians and Singaporeans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_where_the_bloody_hell_are_you%3F

As far as we poms go, it's only really the knitted cardie brigade that gets upset by swearing these days.

I listen to a lot of BBC Radio 4 and it's quite common to hear much stronger language than that in the 6:30 pm comedy slot.

I guess MK14 hasn't heard Dave telling the camera to focus yet, that one always makes me chuckle... and he should definitely avoid AvE's channel. He's Canadian btw...

On topic, it would seem to make sense as Wytnucls suggests for Brymen to rate the meter for 400mA continuous and 600mA peak.
    nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
    Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
    « Reply #348 on: February 23, 2021, 07:02:19 pm »
    BM786 Arrived today, bit of a quirk on the Ohms Auto Range and Diode Check.. Flickers around kohms and Mohms then settles on 1Mohms with or without leads attached, after a while finally goes to OL after quite a while. Low Ohms (Continuity check, and Diode check both beep randomly).

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #349 on: February 23, 2021, 07:06:11 pm »
    BM786 Arrived today, bit of a quirk on the Ohms Auto Range and Diode Check.. Flickers around kohms and Mohms then settles on 1Mohms with or without leads attached, after a while finally goes to OL after quite a while. Low Ohms (Continuity check, and Diode check both beep randomly).

That doesn't seem right.  I wonder what "quite a while" means.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
    Smf