Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 234891 times)

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2017, 02:01:48 pm »
Ah yes, I see them now, thanks. Hope it helps.

Chris
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Ultrawipf

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
Hey arcnor,
Awesome that we have activity again and i can confirm the code is ugly ;)
I have not done very much with it apart from looking for more information, adding new shortcuts for trigger position, start/stop and single trigger.

You are exactly the one we need to take this software apart further and find out more about the protocols  :-+

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2017, 09:16:56 am »
Hey Ultrawipf, thanks!

You are exactly the one we need to take this software apart further and find out more about the protocols  :-+

What do you mean by "find out more about the protocols"? I thought the protocol was already known? Or is the "OWON Oscilloscope PC Guidance Manual" not complete? http://bikealive.nl/tl_files/EmbeddedSystems/Test_Measurement/owon/OWON%20Oscilloscope%20PC%20Guidance%20Manual.pdf in case you haven't seen that before, but I thought I read about this document on this thread, although I might be wrong (I did a *lot* of reading before buying this thing, and now my memory is blurry :D)

In any case, I think it will be better at some point to have some sort of common repository if there is a general interest on this, although the legality of it is what I'm worried about...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48:45 am »
Or is the "OWON Oscilloscope PC Guidance Manual"

Hey, that's a new one on me - I'd only found the SCPI Protocol manual.

Edit: Or at least, didn't realize it related to the VDS models - I thought it was just for the USB interface in their desktop models. The VDSxxxx models aren't listed in the SPBWxx string (section 3.1.1 Model).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:54:11 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2017, 11:11:52 am »
You might be right, the VDS1022 is not mentioned on that doc. However, I'll be very surprised if they changed it much. The "STARTMEMDEPTH" command (among others) is also on the code, although commented. In any case, it should not be complicated to find out how the protocol works, I'll try to document it after I receive mine.

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:51 pm »
So, for today I've managed to find where the rendering takes place, and I've tried to improve it a bit, as I find it extremely ugly, although I feel like I'm missing something and there is a reason for it to look like this.

I've added an example of how it looked before (very "chunky") and how it looks "cleaned" (ignore the problems with the grid, I'm doing some tests with it).

From what I've seen, the software is using 4 vertical samples per horizontal value, but I fail to see why... Also, at least with this example, there seems to be a vertical resolution of only 64 values (6 bits).

Is this how this normally looks, or maybe I have something wrong somewhere?

Offline Ultrawipf

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »
Oh. that document is new to me. But it seems to only mention the standalone scopes and not the vds series and they seem to use a different control software.
I found almost no info about the vds but there is a lot known about the sds/pds/hds so i assumed there are bigger differences.

The 4 values per horizontal point might be related to zooming in while paused without having a separate buffer. Maybe i look into the code again later but i find it pretty hard to find anything specific in that bunch of files.

Offline pjhsv

« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2017, 06:10:26 am »
Hi All,

Bought this scope based on the how to set up a lab cheaply video blog, and from this forum. I have it working on my PC, but I can't seem to get it working on my mac. For context, I have an IT background, and intermediate Linux, but Mac is basically beginner/end-user.

The app fires up, but I can't seem to get the device detected. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
Hi pjhsv,

I'm assuming that, if you are trying to run it on a MAC, you are doing it based on CatWisker's posts and github repository:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/msg1096866/?topicseen#msg1096866

If so, then you might want to PM him directly.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline pjhsv

« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2017, 09:26:49 am »
Yes, that is the post. And yes, I've PM'd him directly. Thanks :)

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:17 pm »
So finally, I've received my VDS1022. And I'm surprised I did, because they sent it without any packaging, just the bare (and flimsy) box it comes in.

Anyway, as for the software, I did some fixes to my code and managed to make it work on OSX. Boring I know, somebody else already did this. However, my version should even work on Linux, including ARM devices (like a Raspberry for example, although I don't have any to test this on). It's also stopping to work after a while, and I'm not sure yet if it's because my code or because I have it connected through 2 hubs.

In any case, I have some questions:
1. When I connected it to another computer, it uploaded some FPGA firmware. I don't remember that happening on the first computer I connected this to. Does anybody know if theirs also got updated when they connected it? I can check the code, but it's a mess :)
2. When doing the self calibration, the device itself made some scaring clicks. Is that normal at all? It sounded like some sort of relay switching, although as I said I'm no analog electronics person.
3. The device seems noisy, although this is probably expected, but it will help me if somebody can post an screenshot of the calibrating pattern with the provided probes, to see that my thing is not completely broken :D (it's also not the isolated version, but I read a few pages back that this should not affect noise by a lot? No idea, of course)

Anyway, that's all for now, thank you in advance!

Offline Ultrawipf

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:58 pm »
1. I am pretty sure it does not store the fpga firmware in it and always has to load it after starting up. The led blinks red if it was not initialized and after the software was started once and uploaded the firmware it goes into normal operation.
2. Relay clicking is normal when calibrating and changing voltage levels.
3. After calibration without anything connected to the probe it does not seem to be very noisy apart from the usual 50hz ambient noise on the very sensitive settings.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
Yes, what Ultrawipf said - it's my understanding too that it downloads the FPGA code every time you connect and start it up. Yes it does have relays (AC/DC coupling and range) in the front-ends which do click a bit during cal.

You'll get lots of noise on the lowest settings with the probes open - there's lot's more floating in the air than just 50Hz (more these days with SMPSs and other stuff everywhere). It should quieten down if you sort the ground clip to the tip - but not completely, it still forms a wire loop.

I posted traces of what I get with the inputs shorted (50R BNC terminators) directly on the scope on the first page of this thread (replies #2 and 3). You won't get quite as  quiet with the probes attached and tips grounded to the earth clips.

The 1kHz probe compensation output should give you nice clean waveforms. The first thing you should do is compensate the probes to match the input capacitance of the scope - nice square traces (no overshoot or rounding).  Post some images if you have problems.

I hope your new version does work with linux too, that should please a few folks.  :-+
Best Regards, Chris

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
Has anybody made any progress on linux? I have spent hours playing with libusbJava and other things I don't understand without any progress. Any combination fails to detect the scope with some error or another. Perhaps the most interesting(?) one is "ch.ntb.usb.USBException: LibusbJava.usb_set_configuration: could not set config 1: Broken pipe". That sounds like something maybe something can work.

Another thing. I usually cannot zoom from single triggering. If I single capture something changing the time base doesn't zoom or anything. Except sometimes. Stopping from "run" and changing time base works as expected. Every time.

It is hopeless to find out which version of the program one is running. I think my version is 1.3.0 (that is what the launcher jar file says), or 1.0.27 (what the install win exe says). Haven't found any "about" in the program itself.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »
A client of mine has the Owon VDS1022 version (so non-isolated).
He was wondering if he could just buy a third party USB isolator adapter to make this thing isolated.
Do you guys know if that would work (with the software and all)?

I personally don't really see no reason why it wouldn't.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2017, 02:31:01 pm »
- There's no difference in software between the isolated and non-isolated versions so no problem there.

- The Isolated version uses the same ADUM3160 usb full speed 12Mbps (not 480Mbps high speed) isolator IC that is used in the off-the-shelf isolators, so no problem there either. It runs quite happily at USB Full speed.

- The only potential problem is if the Isolator can't source enough power to drive the VDS1022 on the isolated side. It needs to be able to meet the USB 500mA power spec.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:33:17 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:07 pm »
- There's no difference in software between the isolated and non-isolated versions so no problem there.

- The Isolated version uses the same ADUM3160 usb full speed 12Mbps (not 480Mbps high speed) isolator IC that is used in the off-the-shelf isolators, so no problem there either. It runs quite happily at USB Full speed.

- The only potential problem is if the Isolator can't source enough power to drive the VDS1022 on the isolated side. It needs to be able to meet the USB 500mA power spec.
So I guess an isolator simply based on the ADUM3160 will do the job just perfectly fine?  ;) ^-^

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »
Yes, ADUM3160 / ADUM4160. All you need to worry about is the size of the DC-DC converter in the isolator. The one inside the VDS1022I is rated at 2W.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline CatWhisker

• Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
Anyway, as for the software, I did some fixes to my code and managed to make it work on OSX. Boring I know, somebody else already did this. However, my version should even work on Linux, including ARM devices (like a Raspberry for example, although I don't have any to test this on). It's also stopping to work after a while, and I'm not sure yet if it's because my code or because I have it connected through 2 hubs.

Cool! Post up the 'know how' then  :-+

Offline CatWhisker

• Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2017, 11:05:23 am »
Yes, that is the post. And yes, I've PM'd him directly. Thanks :)

Hey PJ,

I'll reply here as it might be useful for others too.

What version of OS X are you using? I'm on 10.11.6. I'm yet to try newer.

If you attach the scope after executing the app, does the app respond in any way?

CW.

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »
Hello All,

This is my first post and I greatly thank Gyro and the others for this thread.

I bought my VDS1022 due to the information put forth here and really appreciate the help cutting through the jungle of USB DSO's.
I found the isolated version very interesting, but I only have measurements on simple battery operated circuits.
I am very happy with my oscilloscope. It does what I need it for very well.

The criteria that were important to me:

1.) I could use it out in the field with no AC access

2.) Low hardware requirements for the host computer
(This was one of the main reasons. Most of the work is done
by the Hardware/Software in the oscilloscope itself as was detailed
in this thread - and in a way I could understand it  :D)

3.) Round 20 Mhz bandwidth
4.) Good price

Memory depth is good enough for my applications.

Since I don't want to lug a huge notebook around with me,
I tested the Owon software on my old netbook Acer Aspire before buying.
It has a 1.66 GHz Atom N450 CPU with 1 GB Ram.
It worked just fine without a hiccup.

I did try picoscope software on this netbook.
It stalls and hiccups with it. So a no-go for me in this case.

The software on the CD is version 1.0.24 from 10.11.2016
I have downloaded and am using the latest version from Owons website which is 1.0.27

Thank You all again!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All the best, Nullarbor

The following users thanked this post: KeBeNe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Nullarbor, and thanks [Edit: for the detailed feedback].  Glad it worked out well for you - it's always nice to know when a teardown actually helps someone. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:06:23 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline AmadeusMozart

« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »
@Gyro : Many thanks for taking the time to post your view on the Owon VDS1022i. :clap: Based upon that I've ordered the non-USB isolated model, the VDS1022.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »
Welcome Herr Mozart (thought you were long dead!). Do report back once you get a chance to try it out.  :)
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: AmadeusMozart

Offline wwh

« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2017, 05:17:21 am »
Hi everyone,

I founded this guy upgrade his scope to Isolated @20$ cost.

http://www.dalbert.net/?p=314

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf