Author Topic: Recommendation request for a function generator  (Read 4855 times)

Offline yotamTopic starter

Recommendation request for a function generator
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:20:45 pm »
Hi,

I've recently decided to double down on my electronics hobby and bought 'The Art of Electronics' and 'Learning the Art of Electronics'.
I have enough parts to get me started for now, and I plan on buying the Rigol 1054Z scope, but what I'm missing is a function generator.
Is there anything with a similar price-value ratio of the 1054z, but in the range of <200$?

I do have a budget to buy a better one if I have to, but I prefer to avoid it, my main criterion is that I would be able to implement the labs in 'Learning the ...', and extract meaningful information from them (as opposed for example to having to guess if I got it right or not due to jitter).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:22:17 pm by yotam »

The following users thanked this post: Blaffetuur

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Recommendation request for a function generator
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:23:34 pm »
Did you look at the cheap Feeltech dual channel generators?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:32 am »
Something like this ?

If so, what are the drawbacks?

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:47:16 am »
Something like this ?

If so, what are the drawbacks?

Have a look at this thread from about Reply 139 onwards:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy3224s-24mhz-2-channel-dds-aw-function-signal-generator/125/

The power supply isn't isolated or grounded. A cheap fix is to replace the power cord.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »
I am very, very happy with my TEK AWG2021. Its GUI allows me to create waveforms without a PC, which i need a lot.

But I am not sure if it fits your needs as it is BIG. Price bracket is like 300USD.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 07:38:31 pm »
I have been eyeballing the Tektronix AWG2000 series before but they are prone to leaky capacitors and they are rather noisy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:00:36 pm »
Any suggestions for a better alternative in that price range?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 12:27:35 am »
Any suggestions for a better alternative in that price range?

New or used ?    Available only in Israel or USA via eBay.

If used and USA - check out old Wavetek units  -  good quality and made in my hometown ha ha ha

Start with Wavetek 145

Since they are good quality, there is a chance this works (in Israel )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wavetek-Function-Generator-134-untested-/231865580433?hash=item35fc43fb91:g:kzQAAOSwyjBW2XwB

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: yotam

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:36:12 pm »
I decided to order this one. Thanks!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:00 pm »
You bought that old piece of junk?  :palm: Why not buy one from Feeltech? Dual output, digitally adjustable, stable frequency, etc.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »
I decided to order this one. Thanks!

What one ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 06:05:18 pm »

What one ?

The Wavetek 134

I've no need for an AFG in the meantime.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »

What one ?

The Wavetek 134

Hope it works - let  me know.  Can you tell me what is AFG ?  auto freg gain   ??

Pay attention to the output - it says into 50 ohms.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:41 pm »
Sorry, I meant AWG (Arbitrary Waveform Generator).

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:51:11 am »

What one ?

The Wavetek 134

Uhhh.... you bought the one in that ebay link?  Bent BNC connectors on VCG and TRIG inputs, missing Variable knob on Sweep Width control, non-original knob on Sweep Time control, apparent salt-water corrosion, panel markings largely worn away, apparently no line cord.....

"removed from working environment".... I wonder what that means.

Well... good luck anyway. But be prepared to find that it needs work, such as replacement of the power supply filter capacitors, switch and control cleaning, a replacement knob for that missing one, and you may be able to straighten the BNC connectors with careful work with needle-nose pliers... maybe.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 03:58:25 am »

What one ?

The Wavetek 134

Uhhh.... you bought the one in that ebay link?  Bent BNC connectors on VCG and TRIG inputs, missing Variable knob on Sweep Width control, non-original knob on Sweep Time control, apparent salt-water corrosion, panel markings largely worn away, apparently no line cord.....

Well... good luck anyway. But be prepared to find that it needs work, such as replacement of the power supply filter capacitors, switch and control cleaning, a replacement knob for that missing one, and you may be able to straighten the BNC connectors with careful work with needle-nose pliers... maybe.

And it is in Israel

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
What one ?

The Wavetek 134

And it is in Israel
As if they have no way to receive something from China in Israel  :palm: :palm: :palm:
That Wavetek 134 you linked to is an utter piece of crap and the seller is laughing his ass off that someone actually paid $45 + shipping for it!

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:24 am »
Well... I was trying to be polite... but yes, utter piece of crap seems like a fair description.

But who knows, maybe it's working perfectly, has been recapped and cleaned by the "working environment" owner, and just has some cosmetic blemishes. Right...

Still, it's only 2MHz. 

@Yotam, we are all going to be eagerly awaiting the arrival of your instrument, and your report as to how it works out for you!
 :popcorn:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
Tek/Sony AWG2021 generator Recommendation?
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 02:07:40 am »
Cannnot think of a better subject. I Just bought two. (accidently), found them on eBay for under $200. They are averaging around$300 now.

My Experience so far with this AWG
I have soooo tried to avoid these "big old tanks" My habit is to open them up because I read and learned abut how getting something used, and the person's experience was a bunch of cockroaches came out. I have had spiders and dead bug colonies. About opening it up. It is finichy because of the braided wire around each end of the cover. It was a real b..to get it back together. It had been calibrated that expired in Sept 2017 from a reputable firm that does that stuff.
It uses a 3.5 inch floppy disk to create your own custom waveforms. I still had some. There are floppy disk to USB adaptors that can be found.
Being so old, I just went ahead and attached the drive right to the side of the unit

Why an AWG old and a tank?
1.) I was looking for something that I could check a quality of a 200MHz scope.
2.) looking at Rigol/Hantek/ etc could only find similar pricing for 40 to 60MHz AWG, for over 100MHz I was seeing over $1,000 USD and higher up to $2,00 USD, even used...
3.) I dreaded getting something so big and heavy, and a CRT era. but I downloaded the manual measured and re-created the weight.. At this point I said maybe.
4.) At the Tektronics site, I learned that it had been i production back as far as 1994, but they were still selling them right up to 2006. Not so bad. perhaps the cllincher was they still had the most recent firmware updates downloadable, and the price.

a 250MHz, Tektronix relatively recent for under $300 shipped to my door? fine..I had to completely redo the teest gear shelves to accomodate the beast!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf