Author Topic: Rigol 1054Z is it still hackable in 2021?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline kgavionicsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol 1054Z is it still hackable in 2021?
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »
Hello
3 years ago, I bought a rigol 1054z, and I was able to hack it to have the full features, but later I sold it out !
Today, I ordered  a new rigol 1054z, and I'm wondering if the unit can be still  hacked?
Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:08:05 pm by kgavionics »

The following users thanked this post: kingsolmn

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol 1054Z hackable in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:09:57 pm »
It already comes with all the options released, the only one you should do is the 100 Mhz

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics, Fungus, kingsolmn

Offline kgavionicsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:38 pm »
Thank you, I'll try it out when I receive the oscilloscope!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 11:22:35 am »
BTW, it will still be hackable in 2022 and beyond...

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics, kingsolmn

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:13 pm »
I guess if they would sell a single one without making it easy for hacking, it's like a tradition by now  :-DD
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 02:26:02 pm »
I guess if they would sell a single one without making it easy for hacking, it's like a tradition by now  :-DD

Yeeessss :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics

Offline tttonyyy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 02:30:23 pm »
You've got to wonder what proportion of users actually hack their 'scopes to unlock features.  I bet that most of them remain as stock.

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics, kingsolmn

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 02:40:10 pm »

Or they could issue a special "Collector's Edition" that disables "hacking" just so that people justify buying a 2nd one...  ;D

The following users thanked this post: kgavionics, VSV_electron

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »
You've got to wonder what proportion of users actually hack their 'scopes to unlock features.  I bet that most of them remain as stock.

I wouldn't bet against you on that. I guess most users are comfortable with the idea that they could hack their scope if/when they actually need the additional bandwidth (or features) but that most don't bother, at least initially. Speaking from personal experience, I haven't bothered hacking any of my Rigol gear yet, simply because I haven't needed any of the additional capabilities for anything specific yet.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 03:18:21 pm »

Or they could issue a special "Collector's Edition" that disables "hacking" just so that people justify buying a 2nd one...  ;D

I think TE manufacturers completely mis-understand their market. They keep adding features, more decoders, more bandwidth, lower noise, etc... when all they need to do to keep most TE users happy is come out with an identical model, but in a different colored case, every couple of years.  TE users are like Pokemon players - "gotta collect 'em all."  I can just see it now

"Hey, do you have the Rigol DS1054Z in the yellow case yet?"

"Nah bro, but I did get one of those pink Siglent SDS1104X-E's though!" 

"Cool, man, I gotta get one of those!"

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 11:59:49 pm »

I wouldn't bet against you on that. I guess most users are comfortable with the idea that they could hack their scope if/when they actually need the additional bandwidth (or features) but that most don't bother, at least initially. Speaking from personal experience, I haven't bothered hacking any of my Rigol gear yet, simply because I haven't needed any of the additional capabilities for anything specific yet.

I did not hack it for full three years, the warranty period. Once the warranty expired, I connected 100MHz sine wave to CH1, and with that in the background I entered the key for 100MHz bandwidth. It gave me great satisfaction seeing the wave form jumping up in real time with the bandwidth increase.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 12:07:37 am »

I did not hack it for full three years, the warranty period. Once the warranty expired, I connected 100MHz sine wave to CH1, and with that in the background I entered the key for 100MHz bandwidth. It gave me great satisfaction seeing the wave form jumping up in real time with the bandwidth increase.
Yes, also did that with my SDS5054X>SDS5104X, SDG6022X>SDG6052X, SPD3303X-E>SPD3303X, SSG3021X>SSG3032X.  :D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 06:20:09 am »

You can remove the hack and do it again.  Switch between the two. :)

Offline kingsolmn

• Contributor
  • 220, 221 - whats the difference?!
    • TeamRampage Services
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 01:38:47 am »
It already comes with all the options released, the only one you should do is the 100 Mhz

Thank you for confirming what I was starting to realize! I was having an unbelievably hard time finding any specifics about the options!

Anyway, just to confirm the 100Mhz option is the only one listed as available for the 1000 series on the website. Yes?

Thank you!
I run a small IT/Electronics repair shop out of my garage. The electronics part came about because my son was getting old enough to use a soldering station by himself and does some pretty interesting things (and he has plenty of ideas!) and e-waste recycling for parts (except for the eBay stuff).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf