Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z with no signal in the probe compensation output  (Read 1620 times)

Offline JulianFMTopic starter

Hello

I'm here to ask if any one has had the problem I mention in the subject of this post:
I have an 3 year old Rigol DS1054Z that does not output any signal from the probe compensation output.
Where do I start looking for the failure? I'm a little scared of tearing down the oscilloscope.

Hope you can help me.
Thank you all.

Offline Mechamilk

Re: Rigol DS1054Z with no signal in the probe compensation output
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:21:51 am »
Hello,
same problem here. Did you found a solution?

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:36 pm »
The thread opener has unfortunately no longer reported.

Has the eyelet been subjected to mechanical loads?
Since the eyelet is soldered directly to the mainboard (similar to the Walkman / Phones headphone jack if the connector got lateral forces),
the solder joint could be loosened.

You could wiggle to test carefully while the probe is connected to the eyelet and see if the signal is occasionally clean.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline Mechamilk

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:20:07 pm »
The eyelet is not loose, no signal if i try to wiggle it.
The oscilloscope is less than a year old so i dont want to open it to check. I contacted the Rigol support for that issue and i'm waiting an answer.

Any other idea of what happened? Is there a menu section to check if its working?

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 03:21:55 pm »
Oh... Sorry, I forgot about this post... Yeah I didn't find any solution.
I will crack the thing open in the near future and reverse engineere the probe compensation output by myself because I couldn't find any schematic diagram.
I didn't apply any forces to the conector but, because I'm lazy, I used it as signal source for some opamp project. I didn't think that could fry the internal chip that drives the output but after that it never worked again.

Sorry again for abandon this entry but no one responded in a long time so I forgot about it...

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:29:41 pm »
So... I opened the osciloscope apart and measure a solid short circuit between the probe compensation output and ground.
Following the traces the only thing that could be the problem was one SOT-23 conected to ground, because between the post and the output of the output driver there was some resistors and other components that were in good shape.

The SOT-23 is marked 1UW and aparently it is a PESD5V0U2BT Ultra low capacitance bidirectional double ESD protection diode, so I desolder the component and measured it to found that half of the component was in short circuit (Diodes between pins 2-3 shorted, diodes between pins 1-3 aparently OK).

I tested the osciloscope half disasambled and the probe compensation output was live again.

I don't have a replacemet for the PESD5V0U2BT so for the time beeing the osciloscope is goint to work without it.
I will only use the probe compensation output for it's intended use.
Lesson learned.

Edit:
* Attached some pics I got from Dave's teardown to mark the component.
* Attached the PESD5V0U2BT datasheet.
* Minor gramatical corrections.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:17:26 pm by JulianFM »

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf