Author Topic: Rigol warranty in UK?  (Read 13456 times)

Offline MrSlackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rigol warranty in UK?
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:56 pm »
After an evening playing whack-a-mole with my two Tek 465B's and giving up I'm joining the queue for a Rigol 1054Z.

Only question is: Does anyone know what the warranty coverage is like in the UK? I've had more than enough trouble with a few companies over the years and I'd rather like to get an idea of what sort of crap is involved if it dies or is bug ridden?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Rigol warranty in UK?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:07:35 am »
After an evening playing whack-a-mole with my two Tek 465B's and giving up I'm joining the queue for a Rigol 1054Z.

Only question is: Does anyone know what the warranty coverage is like in the UK? I've had more than enough trouble with a few companies over the years and I'd rather like to get an idea of what sort of crap is involved if it dies or is bug ridden?

Well, Rigol warranty is 3 years and from what I know you (there are various Rigol devices in my environment) have to go through the UK distributor if you need warranty repair who'll send the device to Rigol Germany. Waiting times can be extensive, 4 to 6 weeks seem to be pretty normal.

As to bugs, many have been fixed in firmware updates and apparently new ones have been introduced. Also, there are the inherent design flaws in the hardware:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/

But at the end of the day that's a very cheap bottom-of-the-barrel scope. You get what you pay for.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:46:24 am »
As to bugs, many have been fixed in firmware updates

Yep.

Also, there are the inherent design flaws in the hardware:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-yaigol-fixing-rigol-scope-design-problems/

None of which have been shown to make any difference on screen.

You get what you pay for.

General opinion around here (shared by Dave) is that you get a lot more than you paid for.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:49:38 am by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:13 am »
4-6 week turnaround is pretty shit. You do indeed get what you pay for.

I'm considering a different scope. Any suggestions (under £600)?

I looked at the Tek TBS1052 but the spec sheet is pretty crap. It'd do fine for what I need to do however and the turnaround is fast. I'm slowly moving into the professional space again after a 15 year hiatus so I'm after something I can trust.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:03:14 am by MrSlack »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
OTOH it might never go wrong. Build quality is good and there's no reports of them being unreliable.

A few people have reported problems right out of the box which is usually dealt with quickly (mostly bad probes or calibration problems IIRC).

There honestly isn't anything worth having between the price of a DS1054Z and something for three times the money. It's a big gap in the market. A black hole. That's what I meant by "more than what you paid for".

(OK, that's not actually true - the DS1074Z and DS1104Z are in that gap, but...)

And ... when you go over £1000 for an "A-brand" 'scope you'll be at what those manufacturers consider entry-level. You'll get less channels and less features than a DS1054Z. The warranty won't be much better either, not unless you have an authorized dealer near where you live.

So you can either pay $400 for a DS1054Z or $1200 for a two-channel 'scope from an old-school manufacturer (and hope they throw in a few software options for free).

It's up to you.  :-//

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50:33 am »
SDS1000X series.
I've had some interest and sales of these recently and they seem well liked by purchasers.

You've obviously been battling away with your trusty Teks but with them  :-BROKE I do understand how blind one feels without a scope, any scope.

Anyways you can find your nearest dealer with this link and maybe take one for a test drive:
http://www.siglenteu.com/howtobuy.aspx
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:04 am »
Not touching Siglent. I have a good friend who has had nothing but problems with their software.

What I really need:

Needs: 50MHz. Two channels. Decent warranty. Add/sub math. Triggering that isn't crap. Up to minute long sweep. X-Y.

Wants: FFT. Frequency measurement. No fan. Data logging.

Not much really.

I'm working around 7-15MHz peak so 50MHz would cover any harmonics/overshoot fine. Any HF oscillations I can trace pick up with an RF probe.

Actually sod it. The Tek TBS 1052 does the job and I can actually get one shipped today without queuing which means there are replacements on shelves as well. Plus 5 year warranty. £7.20 a month TOC over the warranty lifetime. Rigol comes out at £13 a month TOC over warranty lifetime despite being cheaper initially.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:15:29 am »
Not touching Siglent. I have a good friend who has had nothing but problems with their software.
Hmm, care to share with us which model and what problems?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:05 am »
Needs:...X-Y.

If you haven't used digitising non-CRT scopes in that mode, it may be worthwhile finding a relevant scope and seeing how it behaves in your application.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:38 am »
Have checked that. My application is simple low frequency curve tracing. Nothing complex or raster based which the DSOs suck at.

Mainly testing a large box of tunnel diodes I have for ebay deployment.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:33:54 am »
Hmm, care to share with us which model and what problems?

I'll find out for you... I think there were some triggering problems with it and it kept hanging.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 09:42:45 am »
What I really need:

Needs: 50MHz. Two channels. Decent warranty. Add/sub math. Triggering that isn't crap. Up to minute long sweep. X-Y.

Wants: FFT. Frequency measurement. No fan. Data logging.

Not much really.

Oooh! Some actual requirements to work with, that's a first around here!  :popcorn:

FFT isn't a strong point on the DS1054Z, factory fan is noisy, the "math" section has one of the three remaining firmware bugs.

One of these might fit the bill, it's slightly out of your budget though:

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/product/hmo1002-productstartpage_63493-61541.html

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-hmo-1002-economy-dso-from-rohde-schwarz-hameg/

(I'm not sure how data logging would work on it...do the research)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:51:20 am by Fungus »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 09:58:40 am »

Difficult, as for that money you only get B-brands and they all have some issues. In Europe, Siglent still wants you to go through the reseller for warranty (in the US they do service now directly) and I doubt it will be anything quicker than Rigol. Plus Siglent scopes in general are even more buggy than Rigol, but I guess you know that already  ;)

Frankly, with that budget, the DS1054z probably isn't the worst choice.

I looked at the Tek TBS1052 but the spec sheet is pretty crap. It'd do fine for what I need to do however and the turnaround is fast. I'm slowly moving into the professional space again after a 15 year hiatus so I'm after something I can trust.

Yeah, Tek is pretty shit, and that's not just the antique TBS Series. They made the best analog scopes back in the day but their digital scopes have always been sub-par. Plus their support is a far cry from what it once was. I'd avoid them like the plague.

The mentioned Hameg HMO1002 might be an option. It's a much better scope than the shitty TBS.

Since your budget is limited, have you considered the 2nd hand market? A 2nd hand Keysight DSOX2000A Series scope might well be possible with your budget, and while the specs aren't best in class they are decent and the scope is pretty reliable. Plus you can buy a Keysight "repair agreement" which is pretty much a warranty and can be bought for older kit where the original warranty has run out, and it's usually quite cheap, too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:02:22 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:44 am »
Have checked that. My application is simple low frequency curve tracing. Nothing complex or raster based which the DSOs suck at.

I hesitate to say it, but have you considered something like the Digilent Analog Dialog for that application. Why? It is small and contains a function generator, is scriptable using JavaScript, and has a conventional API. Can be used as a simple spectrum analyser and network analyser up to 10MHz. Also has a 16 channel pattern generator and logic analyser.

It wouldn't meet your other requirements, though.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:19 am »

The HMO1002 has a "component tester" mode.  :)

(Dave mentions it in the video at the 13:50 mark).

Don't know what it does, I assume it's like an old-fashioned curve tracer...do the research.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:17:51 am by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 10:16:00 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm going to take all this away and do some research and reading.

Budget methodology for reference:

Comic sans and MSpaint to annoy :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:45 am »
Budget methodology for reference:

If it does what you need then 650 quid for the R&S HMO1002 is right on the sweet spot of that curve.  ;)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:20 am »
Don't buy anything from Siglent if you are not sure you don't want to sell it on Ebay later...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 11:25:57 am »
Whoa that's a whole bag of crap. Added to "never deal with them" shitlist.

If it does what you need then 650 quid for the R&S HMO1002 is right on the sweet spot of that curve.  ;)

That's too far to the "paint the ceiling" marker ;)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
650 quid for the R&S HMO1002 is right on the sweet spot of that curve.  ;)
That's too far to the "paint the ceiling" marker ;)

I understand. Really.

If you're not in a hurry then the next DS1054Z firmware update should be out any day now (I think we're overdue for one). Let's see if they fix the math functions.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:33:29 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 12:28:17 pm »
So I spent about 3 hours with by hand over the "spend lots of money" button and didn't click it in the end. Blowing £600 means I have to shelve a couple of projects I really want to get finished this half of the year.

Today I got up with a fresh mind and a cup of strong coffee and blew 3 hours of buggering around inside my two 465B's. I managed to get one back in a usable state. Swapped U1790 and a 10x attenuator module from the parts mule and we're back in business.

I'm keeping an eye out for a gumtree/ebay bargain. Perhaps a 2465B.

I've come to the conclusion that you need at least three identical scopes all the time:

1. One you actually use.
2. One to fix the one you actually use.
3. One to steal bits from to fix the other two.

Possibly a fourth one just in case :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:05 pm »
... Blowing £600 means I have to shelve a couple of projects I really want to get finished this half of the year.
... and blew 3 hours of buggering around inside my two 465B's. I managed to get one back in a usable state.

From personal experience, balancing those two conflicting forces is.... difficult.

Possibly a fourth one just in case :)

Make the 4th one significantly different, and better in at least one respect. For me that means a Digilent Analog Discovery to complement my 485 and hp1740, for 10MHz waveform storage and signal generation/analysis.

Must find a way of profitably disposing my working 465, preferable without too much hassle.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »
I'm interested in disposing of it for you if the definition of profitable isn't too much :)

Got my eye on this next: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141948421806

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »
I'm interested in disposing of it for you if the definition of profitable isn't too much :)

Got my eye on this next: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141948421806

My definition is, of course, too low and pared to the bone and selling a part of my daughter's inheritence and...

There was a gumtree 2456 near Bath for £175 a couple of weeks ago. An ebay 485 went for £246 last month.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
I saw that 2465 near Bath. I didn't fancy the drive though with the kids. I'm in London so we'd have to stop to wee about 50 times on the way there and back and then there's the inevitable pile of crap food. £246 for a 485 isn't terrible. Nice scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf