Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367244 times)

Offline smachado

Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2021, 03:11:01 am »
Thanks! PowerON+ENTER worked... My bad for not RTFM'ing well enough...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:03:55 am by smachado »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #726 on: May 27, 2021, 02:34:29 am »
Finally I assembled my RD6006P...

220uf 80V 68pcs Low Impedance Amplifier PSU Rectifier Filter Board kit

standby power 5V

Added 5V TVS...
I made a serious mistake and applied 12V instead of 5V to the standby power, so this TVS died (short circuit) and saved everything else.

And here you can see how I connected a custom LED (red LED under the ON/OFF button).
And also a power switch control signal.

Power switch YYG-2
Plastic box 70*45*29mm

--- And some screenshots of my firmware ---

Digits Style = 7-Seg v2

Digits Style = 30x60

Digits Style = 24x48

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:32:45 pm by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: sotos, ledtester, ghoes, trazor, AaronR, Messdevices

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #727 on: May 30, 2021, 04:37:21 pm »
New BETA versions (p)
And new alpha (a) version for RD6006P

The following users thanked this post: sonic, diogoc, alxtr1bal, ghoes, duckduck, dmitrkov, ptluis, Messdevices, beliar_666

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #728 on: May 30, 2021, 05:21:29 pm »
Thanks a lot, installed, no issues found. I prefer the 32x60 font over the old 32x64 font. Easier to read.
But not sure if that is all that changed since I last checked.
@unisoft, do you have any release notes? Also looked on https://monitor.net.ru/forum/threads/651114, but haven't seen it.

Offline jshonw

• Contributor
« Reply #729 on: June 04, 2021, 07:37:26 am »

What are the specs of the toroidal transformer you used and where did you get it?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #730 on: June 04, 2021, 01:38:48 pm »
Nice bank of caps, but that bridge rectifier should be upgraded to avoid surge failure and a possible magic smoke show. Not much room in there, this format will work..
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/VS-E4TU2006FP-N3?qs=F5EMLAvA7IBnWwdA%252B6h%252B4g%3D%3D

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #731 on: June 04, 2021, 02:59:56 pm »
What are the specs of the toroidal transformer you used and where did you get it?
I order it on taobao (there are all specs)
But it was AC 51V output (what is too much!!)
So I had to rewind 10 turns of wire, I ended up with AC 45V
The secondary winding is wound in 2 wires in parallel (real copper, diameter 1.2mm)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:32:16 pm by UniSoft »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #732 on: June 04, 2021, 03:28:25 pm »
Nice bank of caps, but that bridge rectifier should be upgraded to avoid surge failure and a possible magic smoke show. Not much room in there, this format will work..
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/VS-E4TU2006FP-N3?qs=F5EMLAvA7IBnWwdA%252B6h%252B4g%3D%3D
How it can helps?
Do you mean use that diodes in rectifier bridge?
Here used GBJ2510 - 1000V 25A
Vf - Forward Voltage:   1.05 V
Max Surge Current:   350 A

The following users thanked this post: AaronR

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #733 on: June 05, 2021, 12:54:30 am »
My bad (looked like a typical PC PSU type @ 6 to 10 amps). My stock of 25 amp units have aluminum packages. If it can take 100a amp surge at 60C for 2 half cycles, that would be a worst-case scenario that I'd feel OK about.

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #734 on: June 05, 2021, 04:02:43 am »
The only time the bridge is going to draw substantial current is when the unit is turned on from a cold start with discharged caps.
It's not running anywhere 60c on turn-on even so the thing is plenty good enough 350 amps surge.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:06:11 am by AaronR »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #735 on: June 05, 2021, 04:37:55 pm »
The specs for that part seem OK (hope it's not fake..), but its surge spec says de-rate 20% with a capacitive load (that's 280 A for 8.3 ms at 25C temp). It takes 15 ms for 15,000uF to charge from a 1 ohm DC source, so the surge will be longer with 8.3 to 10 ms DC half cycles (depending on 50 or 60Hz). Be sure it's not a fake, since caps do not like AC.  ;)

Just an old guys point of view: the worst case I can imagine is 1 hour heavy use in a warm area and then cycle power.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:15:06 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #736 on: June 05, 2021, 08:02:37 pm »
I've been building this stuff with solid state regulators feeding cap banks since the mid 70's so I've been doing it for a few days anyway.
He's going to have no problem.

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6018 DC power supply
« Reply #737 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:10 pm »
I received my RD6018 power supply as a complete kit incl. the Riden (NVVV) S800-65 (12.3A) SMPS internal power supply (PCB dated midst of June 2020) + dedicated case a few days ago as sold by Banggood (kit) for the RD6018. The kit contained this "standard-"SMPS
https://de.banggood.com/RIDEN-RD6018-RD6018W-S-800-65V-Switching-Power-Supply-AC-or-DC-Power-Transformer-Has-Sufficient-Power-90-132VAC-or-180-264VAC-to-DC65V-p-1750643.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto

After delivery I opened up my SMPS for doing that (Youtube) documented "hack" (video part 3) to have it run at almost "full power" for longer periods of time without stated problems (destructing itself). NOTE: This "hack" consists of replacing the one installed MUR3060PT with two of the same kind in parallel, because the Avalanche dual diode's junction temperatures got supposedly very high (> 150°C (?) derating above 120°C, actually to high) during his tests (review) and finally had been killed by this (died) after about an hour. He tested this with another (second) part of same type but got the identical result. Because of this he then substituted two of those dual diodes for the one supplied, because the PCB and the corresponding heat sink had already the needed provisions for this (2 in parallel, actually max. 4 in parallel) without any further problems as stated. Although there are 4 mountings positions available, he chose just 2 because of the capacitance of the fast switching diodes (150 pF ? each part) might become a problem at the given switching frequency (Youtube video "Riden RD6012 Part3" by Jerry Walker).

I found the solder quality on my Riden SMPS to be rather poor, one leg of a resistor hadn't even been soldered to the PCB (must have been overlooked during assembly), which I fixed too. I therefore doubt that all units (100%) have been tested according to this. My newer SMPS version has slightly less power (12.4 => 12.3A) and seems to be a slightly modified version of the original 70V (now 65V) one. The capacitors used are - supposedly - from a Huawei company (Chang, standard LP series) and are specified for 2.000h (at 85°C) and mixed 85°C and 105°C. I doubt if they are current types, because I couldn't find the exact type during my search in the Chang product portfolio (http://www.huaweiec.cn/Uploads/LP.pdf). The SMPS unit as a whole at least is of rather "questionable" (mediocre) quality concerning the parts choice and quality (especially the brand choice, temperature specs and expected lifetime of electrolytes used) as the "weak link" plus the cabling enclosed with the original S800 casing.

Most Chinese SMPS are quite noisy too, although mine seems to cut off the fan at low power / standby now as stated already elsewhere, older versions of this power supply don't seem to do this. Hottest part seem to be the heatsink with the "ultra fast" switching diodes close to the front of the unit, but the existing temperature sensor doesn't seem to be close enough to these elements although ist had been bent into that direction already. The air flow of the built-in fan seems to be somewhat hampered by the design of the air outlet(s), which I modified too.

Unfortunately there are only a few high voltage + high amperage SMPS units on the market, which fit the casing. To my knowledge these are (almost ?) all of Chinese origin. Dave Jones, if I remember correctly, got another (Meanwell) SMPS, because the one he ordered was cancelled. Unfortunately the Meanwell SMPS does "only" 48V for his 1000Watt unit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:28:19 am by burkm »

The following users thanked this post: ghoes

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6018 DC power supply
« Reply #738 on: June 15, 2021, 05:08:25 pm »
There is one significant difference I forgot to mention: One of the engineers of the company, which designed the RD6018, commented the video, that the SMPS casing should always be installed (left on), because it directs the air flow according to the design specs. Leaving it off plus changing the rear design of the SMPS, as Jerry Walker did in his video, might lead to increased temperatures due to disturbances of this air flow design.

What makes me almost laugh is, that all the SMSP power supplies shown in those YouTube videos show a very clean looking assembly job from the inside of the switch mode power supply, whilst mine looks rather "ordinary" and somewhat "messy" assembled as done almost in a "hurry"... (typically "cheap" Chinese).
Only difference: I bought it of the shelves on Banggood like every other ordinary customer probably would do...

PS.: I cleaned up the populated part side of my SMPS PCB now so it doesn't look as "messy" as before anymore. Took me some effort and time, because some parts like the 10W wire wound ceramic output resistor seem to have been added as an afterthought, the silicon (?) material (glue ?) for the large inductor got in in its way etc. ...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:28:57 pm by burkm »

Offline dirtcooker

• Contributor
« Reply #739 on: June 16, 2021, 03:38:31 pm »
I purchased an RD6018W + S800 + S-1000-68 from Riden's official store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001488070904.html The first day I tested the power supply  all was working well, except I didn't like the 400mv p-p noise coming from the S-1000-68.
While using the power supply on the second day, I heard a loud pop, and there was smoke coming from the S-1000-68. I removed the cover, and one of the filter capacitors was burnt. The nippon chemicon KMM 1500uf 250v appears to be fake. It measures 30x45mm, but should be 35x50mm, according to their datasheet https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/420/United-Chemi-Con-346701.pdf
The two capacitors are mounted with little spacing between them, so there is not room on the board to mount the proper replacement capacitor. The circuit board has messy hand-soldering on it as well.
I removed the capacitor, and it is OK, but measures only 1000 uF D=0.03. So it is fake. It looks like a trace on the pc board arced to the case of the capacitor (see pic)
I ordered a 54v 18A common slot power supply to replace it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000537302969.html
It is probably used, but my experience with the DPS-1200FB 12v variant is that they are very high quality. Switching noise from that was less than 20mv p-p even at 30A, and that was without putting a film capacitor across the output.
Update: To their credit, Riden offered to send me another unit, or refund my money. They told me that they do not manufacture the S-1000-68, and that "it is not problem to work with our products, for this price , it is already good for this PSU."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 02:43:07 pm by dirtcooker »

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #740 on: June 17, 2021, 08:32:45 am »
I removed the capacitor, and it is OK, but measures only 1000 uF D=0.03. So it is fake.
Unbelievable that the Chinese market doesn't do anything to grow up
to an reliable partner. Looks like they have for every good brand, an fake product.

Unbelievable also we keep buying from them.

Bought a year ago an PX100 electronic load, was also an fake unit,
so the Chinese also clone the Chinese products.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #741 on: June 22, 2021, 05:49:25 pm »
If anyone wants to help, then I started writing my own software. This is what we have now. The functionality is still minimal, but it will expand.
Yes, at the moment I am interested in the opinion of users.
1. Are the UI controls too large?
2. What about the position of UI controls?
For each indicator, you can set custom colors through the context menu (separately for each skin).
In the settings panels, the numbers can be changed both from the keyboard and the mouse wheel. Buttons also appear at the top or bottom of the number, when you hover the cursor.
Maybe someone else has any ideas, suggestions, advice?

Note! required the latest firmware 'p'
Do not use function to write logo! (nothing really happens, just a logo will be a little bit corrupted (contains artifacts), due to bug in firmware, will be fixed in next firmware).
Option "Do not Lock the keypad" will not work as well, it will be added in the next firmware.
https://mega.nz/file/MCpxhAoI#ptYnxzgQn0PcTfYmkzX38phEF1lkY_uRZjCrMXfaPyE

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #742 on: June 23, 2021, 05:04:23 pm »
I replaced the banana jacks on my RD6018 by SKS Hirschmann SAB 2630 S1,9 Au, to better match my general equipment of cables with mostly shrouded plugs. I had to enlarge the holes a bit, and extended the soldering pin of the SAB2630 using 2,5mm² solid copper wire. So far the solution seems robust enough for me and works well.

These are rated for 24A, but I rarely go to the limits of the supply anyways.

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000, AaronR

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #743 on: June 23, 2021, 08:47:04 pm »

Question 1: Yes, for not great laptop screens settings for OCP and UVP not fully shown. Height of program window is not regular. Output Wh is under on/off button which is to big in my opinion. When everything is smaller it looks less "screaming"
Question 2: No problem. Custom colors to set, for who wants to have them sychro with the colors on the RDxx display. Very nice option.

Nice to have control software BTW.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:22:30 pm by Pukker »

The following users thanked this post: ghoes, AaronR

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #744 on: June 23, 2021, 10:26:52 pm »
If anyone wants to help, then I started writing my own software. This is what we have now. The functionality is still minimal, but it will expand.
For each indicator, you can set custom colors through the context menu (separately for each skin).
In the settings panels, the numbers can be changed both from the keyboard and the mouse wheel. Buttons also appear at the top or bottom of the number, when you hover the cursor.

First of all, thank you for your work on the firmware (I have a new RD6006P with your firmware on it) and this new program. The mouse-wheel value-setting is very very cool.

- I would say that yes, maybe the main V & I display fonts are too big, but then again, I understand that someone may be looking at them from the other side of the room.

- Please make the increment/decrement buttons on the sides of the V & I displays a bit bigger.

- The only serious suggestion I have is how the output-enable button/display works. It says "OFF" when the output is on, and "ON" when the output is off. Very confusing. How about just a virtual pushbutton switch that "lights up" (changes color) when selected? Or maybe a slider like on Apples iOS devices? I realize that you are just copying the Riden software to start with.

Thanks again.

Offline AaronR

• Contributor
« Reply #745 on: June 23, 2021, 11:17:48 pm »
RDFlasher stopped working for me, when I select the com port and click connect it says select serial port and nothing else, I select the same port using the riden control software and it connects on usb with no problem. I used the flasher in the past with no issues it's v1.0 if that matters. if there's a newer one can someone post a link? Thank You.

Offline jeremyd2019

« Reply #746 on: June 23, 2021, 11:19:22 pm »

What language/toolkit?  Could it be cross-platform (Linux?  Raspberry Pi?)  Could it be open source?  Wanting something I could run on a Raspberry Pi is why I started on my own software (using wxPython).  Unfortunately I haven't had much time or interest to spend fleshing it out.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #747 on: June 23, 2021, 11:39:26 pm »
RDFlasher stopped working for me, when I select the com port and click connect it says select serial port and nothing else, I select the same port using the riden control software and it connects on usb with no problem. I used the flasher in the past with no issues it's v1.0 if that matters. if there's a newer one can someone post a link? Thank You.
Firmware files not found...
It should be in directory FIRMWARES, in the same folder with exe

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #748 on: June 24, 2021, 12:12:37 am »
What language/toolkit?
Delphi

Could it be cross-platform (Linux?  Raspberry Pi?)
Windows only

Could it be open source?
No

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #749 on: June 24, 2021, 12:21:45 am »
the output-enable button/display works. It says "OFF" when the output is on, and "ON" when the output is off. Very confusing.
Usually caption of the button says what the button will do when you click it.
But anyway it doesn't matter now, there I planned (and already implemented) language files (format ini),
so all strings will be defined there. Anyone will be able to redefine any string.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf