Author Topic: Bench PS opinions wanted: Instek GPD-3303S, Siglent SPD3303X/-E  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
I am going to buy a power supply.  It will replace a series of wall-warts/breadboard supplies and a MASTEK HY3003-03 which I rarely use.   I have upgraded to 3M style breadboards which no longer take the cheap breadboard supplies, so it is time to move on.  The MASTEK is on the way out. 

Hobby use.

After one pass reading forum posts my first gut feeling was to get the SPD3303X-E.   Then I saw the GPD-3303S as an option, and that got me to think about the SPD3303X.   I know I can hack the -E into X, but if I will end doing so, I would rather pay for the X and get done with it.

Any one out there with experience with these supplies?   
Which one would you buy if it was the very last you will ever buy and cost was not very important (within limits )

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Bench PS opinions wanted: Instek GPD-3303S, Siglent SPD3303X/-E
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:00:54 pm »
I looked at both and ended up with the Keysight E36313A  :)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:19 pm »
Same, except I bought the R&S HMC8043.

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:14:34 pm »
I've got two SPD3303X-Es, both of which were very easily software modded to SPD3303Xs for the extra digit of resolution on both.

They're very versatile, well featured supplies.  I had one and wanted to replace a Korad 5A single channel unit and wanted an option for high current.... but the SPD3303X-E supports paralleling the channels for up to 6A delivered, or putting the two main channels in series to get up to 60V at 3A.  It's also relatively quiet, the fan not even coming on in low usage settings, and the boot time is quick (just a few seconds).  My main complaints with the Siglent are that the third channel has no readout (just slider switch to select voltage), though it's well regulated the readout would be great for fault finding and if it was fully adjustable, it would be more usable in other situations, then a couple quirks of the UI.  Namely:
The arrow buttons under the main encoder knob switch between entries (like voltage, current, mode, etc) and the "Fine" button changes between digits the knob adjusts.... and I think that's just backwards.  Use the arrow keys for the digit switching and then use the single button to scroll through the handful of on screen entry options.
The newest firmware has moved to display both set current/voltage and actual current/voltage, but made the live readout smaller.... showing set values is nice, but not so nice as to make the main display that much smaller imo.  Maybe less blank space around the set current/voltage would give you another few pixels to up the font on the live readings.
The power and current graphs are a nice feature, but they're barely fleshed out.  Being able to adjust the scales (zoom in on the voltage set not including zero, for example) and being able to adjust how long is actually displayed on the X axis would make it a lot more valuable as a tool and less just a gimmick.

Otherwise, though, they're easy to use and I'm happy to have them on my bench.

The following users thanked this post: Back2Volts

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:00 pm »
If you're deciding between those I'd get the siglent. The GPD input mechanism sucks. I'd take anything with direct input over it. I considered The 4ch instek but once I tried it I decided anything else would suit me better.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:58:40 pm »
I own both, but the Siglent (upgraded to 3303X) sees more use these days. Same complaints as DaJMasta, but still pleased overall with the purchase. Beware of the channel 3 overshoot issue on some of the GW Instek units. Mine does not have the problem, but many here ended up with units that did. Not sure if it was ever fixed on newer supplies.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/instek-gpd-3303s-power-supply-overshoot-opinion-wanted/

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:21:10 pm »
I looked at both and ended up with the Keysight E36313A  :)

Too dark for my decor!
Cool though!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:23:11 pm by Back2Volts »

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:24:23 pm »
Same, except I bought the R&S HMC8043.

Too wide!   It will not fit! :-DD

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »
I just ordered one SPD3303X-E from Saelig.

Thank you all for the comments

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:30 pm »
I just ordered one SPD3303X-E from Saelig.

Thank you all for the comments

Congrats.  I'm a little late to this party, but I've got a few of the Siglent SPD3303X-Es and echo DaJMasta's findings. 

Overall, I think they are a good value (especially hacked) and you've made a good choice.   :-+

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:55:10 am »
Magic faeries and 1 delivery guy just deposited a SPD3303X-E on my doorstep a few hours ago. I'm lovin it, I can see it will be my most often used supply. I have a Korad KA3305D triple output and an HP 6632B. The Korad user interface annoys the hell out of me. I knew before buying how it worked  and thought that's not too bad. The issue is that it is time-sensitive-mode based pisses me off, as I often time out.The Siglent in comparison  even with the quirk noted by DaJMasta is far better.

Early times so far with this unit and I noticed one bug/flaw. The third slide switch fixed voltage output has the same Bicolor red-green LED as the other channels to indicate if it is in current limit or constant voltage operation and it goes off rather than red when output is shorted. The other channels indicate correctly. Not enough to complain about or send back.

Edit: It turns out led was lit red but so dim that I couldn't tell in strong daylight soaked lab, in darkened lab it is just visible.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:56:28 am by chickenHeadKnob »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf