Author Topic: Stackable plugs on test leads  (Read 600 times)

Offline CymaphoreTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Stackable plugs on test leads
« on: June 22, 2021, 09:16:12 am »
Hi,

I want to share with you a very small modification done to some of my test leads. That modification had a high impact on my debugging and developement experience in the field, especially in and around vehicles.

Attached you see some test leads, where I replaced the default shrouded plugs by Stäubli (MC) SLS425-SE/M stackable shrouded plugs. I picked them explicitly because they have a screw terminal and good strain releave. Originally I have done this at the workplace on a couple of old fluke probes with damaged plug to make a repair with improvement. But it quickly turned out how usefull this modification is (but mostly for probes with 4mm banana-style tips).

Please keep in mind that this modification potentially can de-rate the safety of the test leads, based on the rating of the connector used and the open 4mm hole of the stackable plug.

All in all this allows me to have a DMM sit at some central point while at the same time I can just plug in to the potential it monitores without much effort, effectively elliminating a lot of the usual cable mess.

Maybe someone here has similar ideas about test cables in field usage and how to combat the rats nest.

Best regards,
Martin

The following users thanked this post: tooki, duckduck

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: Stackable plugs on test leads
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 06:54:59 pm »
Nice idea!

That could be very useful for common connections across multiple instruments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf