Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562929 times)

SingleBitError, DC1MC, Vince and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16475 on: September 18, 2018, 04:39:17 am »
That's a biggie! Bet that hurt the wallet a bit even when it was dead.

TBH that's probably worth shipping back to keysight to be fixed.

I might reveal how hard it hit my wallet if I'll have been able to get it fixed. -It'll appear a bargain under that condition.
If I can't de-brick it I won't..   :popcorn:

Haven't figured out what the repair cost are keysight offers (?) for the DSO-X 3034A.  :-//
It's still being sold today unlike all my other HPAK Test Equipment.   :blah:

TEA struck me again!

I just bought a broken Agilent DSO-X 3034A including original probes.   :palm:
[..]
I was about to ask if you'd gotten it with all the MSO options enabled... guess you'll know once you get it and see if you can recover from the chip.  |O

Said frankly -I don't expect that. It comes with the original probes  (which is great BTW and worth the money) but not with the logic probe pod.
If it was pimped up to something better than the DSO-X 3034A I would have expected the seller to use that to sell it for a higher price. If it is -I'll be happy -no questions about it.

Good luck, my friend.

mnem
But you're not thinking about that stupid RC-what-the-fukkever now, are you?!?  :-DD

Thanks!   ;)

You're talking about that great little 4260A LCR Bridge?    :-DD
Moved the instrument feet to my 6114A Precision Power Supply already. Served its main purpose.  :popcorn:
Fiddled around a bit and did some performance testing without really finding out if there's an issue or not. Not done with it yet -still sits right next to me on the bench as I'm writing these lines.
But it will rush to the end of my repair queue when the DSO-X 3034A will arrive, definitely.   >:D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:36:44 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16476 on: September 18, 2018, 05:39:55 am »

mnem
Did I say that out loud?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16477 on: September 18, 2018, 05:57:38 am »
The MSO option is an easy fix.

Getting the MSO probe cable is not. They cost a pretty penny even used on ebay while being rare as hens teeth.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16478 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:48 am »
Dont have the room for this one at the moment, but there's a TM504 here for £35 inc delivery: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323451950864

Also seller has lots of reasonably priced TM and 7000 series plugins including sampler etc.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16479 on: September 18, 2018, 07:31:32 am »
Who says they are lying? It says it was delivered ... just not exactly where:-DD

Actually, it specifically states it was delivered in my mailbox. My VERY EMPTY mailbox. Conveniently well after business hours for the Customer Service line, which typically takes 30-60 minutes to get through to an actual person. I can literally drive to my post office in person and rattle the postmaster's cage in person faster than I can get anyone on the phone.

And as I just said; this isn't the first time. I've had items supposedly delivered like this, then called Customer Service the following day, who contacted the carrier and came back to me saying that said carrier had my package on their truck for delivery THAT day. TWICE. In short, the delivery notification was UTTER fabrication to make it look like they're doing their job.

If it was misdelivered, there's pretty much ZERO chance I'll get it; I've had THAT happen here too. Hope whomever got my box of flight controllers and brushless motors has a great time with them.

"Oh, we're sorry; your route was handled by a temp yesterday. They must have put it in the wrong box." 
"Okay... how do I file a claim?" 
"Does your package have insurance?"
How would I know? I never RECEIVED it!"
"Well if it doesn't have..."
"You have the tracking number right in front of you. Look it up."
"I'm sorry sir, you'll have to have a trace done on the package..."
"A what?!? You KNOW it was mis-delivered; you just told me so. It doesn't MATTER if I have insurance. The Post Office has been grossly negligent here."
"I'm sorry sir..."
"Yes, yes you are... in every horrible meaning of that phrase..." *Storms out and calls the 800 number*

mnem
Now where'd I put the remote to my suborbital crowbar launcher...
Oh dear and so it begins. Could it be in a neighbours postbox? I regularly get post for others even a couple of streets away, if it says number 18, there's a good chance that I'll get it all. [emoji44]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16480 on: September 18, 2018, 07:50:16 am »
I regularly get post for others even a couple of streets away, if it says number 18, there's a good chance that I'll get it all. [emoji44]

I live at 59 X Cross Rd, and frequently get deliveries for 59 X Close. The worst mis-delivery was full-height scaffolding; I returned when it was 3/4 installed :)

Despite being 80 years old, X Close is not on many satnavs and is incorrectly marked on google maps! It is correct on OpenStreetMaps, because I corrected it :)

I've 3D printed a brass sign "Not X Close", and stuck it next to my doorbell.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:53:49 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16481 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:27 am »
The human race solutionising in a nutshell. Everything too spread out. Let’s put the mail box on the property boundary and hope this will be covered by the “stealing post is illegal” thing. Hire a dumbass or slacker to do the deliveries because they are cheap. Then spent more money on customer services because they are even cheaper and possible to outsource.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16482 on: September 18, 2018, 07:58:36 am »
The human race solutionising in a nutshell. Everything too spread out. Let’s put the mail box on the property boundary and hope this will be covered by the “stealing post is illegal” thing. Hire a dumbass or slacker to do the deliveries because they are cheap. Then spent more money on customer services because they are even cheaper and possible to outsource.

... and then replace by AI chatbots. Seriously.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16483 on: September 18, 2018, 08:02:59 am »
Things would be so much better if there was not the constant need to produce profits for shareholders. Certain things should never be privatised [emoji53]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16484 on: September 18, 2018, 10:42:01 am »
You can't easily sue nationalised industries though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16485 on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:01 am »
I used to work in the public transport sector and honestly things were far better before deregulation, fares, more buses/trains, they were cleaner, better maintained, better time keepers more routes even in the country
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16487 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:41 am »
Haha, that was before I entered the arena and I never said that it was perfect. One major improvement was everything was done by British Rail rather than how it is now with loads of train operators all running track owned and maintained by yet another company and when things go wrong all blame it each other.  :-DD 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16488 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:53 am »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16489 on: September 18, 2018, 11:56:51 am »

Actually, it specifically states it was delivered in my mailbox. My VERY EMPTY mailbox.

mnementh, I'm shocked, shocked that a man of your obvious attention to detail has such an insecure mailbox.  :-//

All anyone has to do is reach into it and steal any mail that you get delivered (or any mail you choose to get picked up). If I had a box like that 50% of my mail would go missing. I have a secure postal vault box where the mail goes in and it don't come out unless someone has the key to the bottom.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16490 on: September 18, 2018, 12:16:52 pm »
I used to work in the public transport sector and honestly things were far better before deregulation, fares, more buses/trains, they were cleaner, better maintained, better time keepers more routes even in the country

Folks here bitch and moan about the level of service and conditions on our local commuter railroad owned and operated by the government called the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority). They forget how horrible service was when it was the privately owned New York Central RR, Pennsylvania RR, and New Haven RR. All three railroads were failing and they merged into one called Penn Central and it still failed. The government had no choice but to take it over and inherited a pile of junk. It has taken many years to rebuild and I think they have done a decent job. For example: my local station has been completely rebuilt and it even included a multi-story parking garage. The NY Central was still running electric locomotives they originally purchased back about 1910 well into the 1960's. And after that they took decrepit diesel locomotives and made them “dual use” and 3rd rail capable. Those lasted until the early 1990's when the MTA purchased all new.

Attached is a pix of the Poughkeepsie station in 1950 and how it looks today.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16491 on: September 18, 2018, 12:28:00 pm »

Actually, it specifically states it was delivered in my mailbox. My VERY EMPTY mailbox.

mnementh, I'm shocked, shocked that a man of your obvious attention to detail has such an insecure mailbox.  :-//

All anyone has to do is reach into it and steal any mail that you get delivered (or any mail you choose to get picked up). If I had a box like that 50% of my mail would go missing. I have a secure postal vault box where the mail goes in and it don't come out unless someone has the key to the bottom.

Wow, what kind of neighborHOOD do you live in?  :-DD I have the same insecure mailbox as mnementh. Never an issue with missing/stolen mail.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16492 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »

Wow, what kind of neighborHOOD do you live in?  :-DD I have the same insecure mailbox as mnementh. Never an issue with missing/stolen mail.

At least they deliver it to the right address here.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16493 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »

Folks here bitch and moan about the level of service and conditions on our local commuter railroad owned and operated by the government called the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority). They forget how horrible service was when it was the privately owned New York Central RR, Pennsylvania RR, and New Haven RR. All three railroads were failing and they merged into one called Penn Central and it still failed. The government had no choice but to take it over and inherited a pile of junk. It has taken many years to rebuild and I think they have done a decent job. For example: my local station has been completely rebuilt and it even included a multi-story parking garage. The NY Central was still running electric locomotives they originally purchased back about 1910 well into the 1960's. And after that they took decrepit diesel locomotives and made them “dual use” and 3rd rail capable. Those lasted until the early 1990's when the MTA purchased all new.

Attached is a pix of the Poughkeepsie station in 1950 and how it looks today.
A shining example of state run v private run. Transport is vital to us all and a well managed and maintained system greatly benefits the entire economy as a whole and not just shareholders amen.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16494 on: September 18, 2018, 12:41:30 pm »

Not always, I've had stuff delivered to me for someone else and I've also people knocking on my door with items that delivered to them, many streets away.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16495 on: September 18, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
A shining example of state run v private run. Transport is vital to us all and a well managed and maintained system greatly benefits the entire economy as a whole and not just shareholders amen.

Just like TfL :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16496 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:04 pm »

Just like TfL :)
Yep, I know how much you love your oyster card. [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16497 on: September 18, 2018, 02:01:17 pm »
I don't own one. Hardly anyone does now. You use your contactless cart or apple pay.

Public transport here is amazing TBH. I can be in the city in 30 minutes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16498 on: September 18, 2018, 02:11:43 pm »
Not always, I've had stuff delivered to me for someone else and I've also people knocking on my door with items that delivered to them, many streets away.
While I suppose it is possible, the likelihood of these parcels being stolen is small; particularly in an 8 minute window. And I have multiple prior incidents with this PO, wherein they've been caught in just this lie before.

The semi-privatization of the USPS has resulted in idiotic cutbacks in all the staff; I've seen our carrier delivering mail after 7PM. This tells me they simply have too many stops on her route; or, in plain words, just not enough carriers stationed at my PO. I get pissed off, but fact remains these people are constantly abused at and by their work; then on top of it working 12 hour days. I can't say I'm surprised to see them run out of "give a shit" at the end of a week of THAT. There's a reason we have a meme known as "Going Postal"; it isn't pretty.

The ones who severely piss me off are the 9 to 5ers behind the counter... they tend to be pretty much clueless and often get angry with a customer who actually knows what they're doing.
  |O

[ :rant: mode ]

I fucking WISH. Used to happen where I grew up, in civilized northern country. Since I've moved to Texas, NEVER. Not fucking ONCE. There's a fundamental difference in attitude... the difference between being part of a community and just being.

Down here they pay lip service to "Community and Family", but it's a goddamned sham from the ground up. They only care that they APPEAR to give a shit; by being outraged at the right things, nodding their heads when they're supposed to during the sermons, and giving the appropriate amount when they pass the offering plate. They listen to all the bible lessons, but it goes in one ear and out the other; none of them follow the Teachings of Christ; they follow the Politics of the Pulpit. Which, in case you haven't noticed, are pretty much the OPPOSITE of christian values. :palm: Then they go out into the world and sell their neighbors and their children's future down the river for a carton of cigarettes and a tank of cheap gas in their Cadillac douche-scalades and Lincoln Mini-bators.   

Having actual CONSIDERATION for another human being? Imagine that. They believe in the "dog eat dog" system... not only do they accept that the world is like that, they've bought into the idea that this is how it should be. When you've gone that far down Desolation Row, you don't even BOTHER to try and change it, and you don't bother to fight the decay. Then it's just a short hop to being the president of a petrochemical division or selling your soul for a McMansion in the middle of a toxic waste dump and becoming the holder of the secrets for a huge oil refinery.

Here's a couple examples of the fundamental difference in attitude:

Where I grew up, you knock on the door of a bathroom and wait a few seconds for a response before entering. EVERYBODY KNEW THIS from the age they could say "please". It is considered common courtesy, as is the expectation that if someone knocks, you'll respond that it's "Occupied". Down here, you are EXPECTED to lock the door, EVEN IF THE LOCKS DON'T WORK, and if someone walks in on you it's YOUR fault for not locking. Answering if someone DOES knock? Imagine that.

Down here they expect that if you cook and somebody else eats it, that person is responsible for the dirty pots & pans. EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T ASK THEM TO COOK.   ::)

I was raised that you're not doing somebody a favor by leaving them a sink full of dirty pots & pans; you're getting to have the fun of cooking and leaving the work part for someone else to do. If you really mean to cook for someone, part of that gift is cleaning up the mess.

[/ :rant: mode ]

I think I need to go make some coffee now.

mnem
“I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:15:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16499 on: September 18, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »

The most secure is like most of us brits have, mail gets pushed through the flap in the front door and drops to the door mat inside, We don't have to go out in the wind, rain and snow etc to get our mail  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf