Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14779972 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70600 on: September 28, 2020, 03:14:27 pm »
Pitty i was not in GuestLab in Dave's MailBag last week....
But now my channel showed up on his screen, in the center, by change in his last video :-)

around 2 minutes  :) :)

Congrats Tony!

Lets hope Dave gives you props directly sometime soon... you deserve it. Your enthusiasm and proliferant content-creation really are one of the more interesting new additions to the TEA thread, which is one of eevBlog's busiest.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70601 on: September 28, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
There's no bad German beer in general.   :popcorn:   If in doubt it is always just and only the last beer that's bad..   >:D   :-DD
Hier. Geht aufs Haus.      ;D
Do you work in a brewery then?
No. I don't like beer at all. "Geht aufs Haus" means simply: "Here, have one for free." :)
Arh, Google translates that to "Here. It is for free." hence my question. Good as google is, a slight variation can have a massive difference in the true meaning.
The google translation is correct in a more general sense. In this case it is just meant for this single bottle, because it is very unlikely, that URI wants to have another one.   >:D   :-DD

*blerk*

It's all still horse pee. They're just detailing the species and color of equine the pee came from...  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:31:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #70602 on: September 28, 2020, 03:31:36 pm »
Pitty i was not in GuestLab in Dave's MailBag last week....
But now my channel showed up on his screen, in the center, by change in his last video :-)

around 2 minutes  :) :)

Congrats Tony!

Lets hope Dave gives you props directly sometime soon... you deserve it. Your enthusiasm and proliferant content-creation really are one of the more interesting new additions to the TEA thread, which is one of eevBlog's busiest.  :-+

mnem

Thanks mnem  :-+ :-+
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70603 on: September 28, 2020, 03:32:02 pm »
Well while you guys are sitting around the table getting drunk on cheap beer and discussing the merits of old TE vs new TE I've actually been working on (old) TE. Finally was able to get back on the Type 310A. Been a very long time since I've seen cardboard encased Cornell Dubilier axial electrolytics. This guy has about 5 of them scattered about. These sort of cheapo caps are usually seen on consumer gear. I'm surprised to see them here. But not for long. They are all going in the trash.

Once all the electrolytics have been excised then turn my attention to the Sprague paper tubulars. About a dozen of those POS.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, factory, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70604 on: September 28, 2020, 03:45:50 pm »
 :-+

MAXIM #9. Capacitors are Murphy's footsoldiers.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70605 on: September 28, 2020, 03:47:22 pm »
try Störtebeker beer (out of Stralsund). It is said to be of very high quality.
I am no suitable judge in that matter as the doc said that I am not allowed to drink beer, wine, champagne.
He did ok rum, vodka, tequila, wiski, tho.

Störtebeker makes a reasonable non-alcoholic one. Haven't tried their ordinary one.

The best non-alcoholic German beer I've had was a low alcohol Erdinger Weißbier. Perhaps wheat beers lend themselves better to making non-alcoholic beers than barley ones.

These are quite palatable: https://franziskaner-weissbier.de/unsere-biere/alkoholfrei

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70606 on: September 28, 2020, 03:55:06 pm »
Arh, yes, I've across quite a few of these cardboard encased Cornell Dubilier axial electrolytics in old amplifiers and radios back in the day, IIRC, it was one of those bastards that exploded all over my parents newly installed polystyrene tiled ceiling. Gosh those tiles were bloody dangerous, but of course, back then, we didn't know what we know now did we :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70607 on: September 28, 2020, 04:03:57 pm »
Arh, yes, I've across quite a few of these cardboard encased Cornell Dubilier axial electrolytics in old amplifiers and radios back in the day, IIRC, it was one of those bastards that exploded all over my parents newly installed polystyrene tiled ceiling. Gosh those tiles were bloody dangerous, but of course, back then, we didn't know what we know now did we :palm:

That's unusual. Those cardboard CD caps in my experience don't often go short, they just go "dry" and basically open. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70608 on: September 28, 2020, 04:14:45 pm »
I had one explode as well. They are usually pretty good but that one just hated to exist any longer.

Today I invented a new duovigesimal base encoding to encode unix time stamps into something humans can accurately communicate over the phone using phonetic alphabet with no digit vs character ambiguities or confusion.

As I write this, it is 1601309628 or RCSSXYG o'clock.

Edit: there's a very nice HP 651B oscillator on UK ebay for a reasonable amount of cash at the moment. I am tempted but I am also not tempted  :-DD

Edit 2: and the 34401A has gone down to £320 now  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:20:50 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70609 on: September 28, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »
try Störtebeker beer (out of Stralsund). It is said to be of very high quality.
I am no suitable judge in that matter as the doc said that I am not allowed to drink beer, wine, champagne.
He did ok rum, vodka, tequila, wiski, tho.

Störtebeker makes a reasonable non-alcoholic one. Haven't tried their ordinary one.

The best non-alcoholic German beer I've had was a low alcohol Erdinger Weißbier.

I second that.   :-+
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #70610 on: September 28, 2020, 04:59:23 pm »

It knows you're watching it
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70611 on: September 28, 2020, 05:01:39 pm »
I had one explode as well. They are usually pretty good but that one just hated to exist any longer.

Today I invented a new duovigesimal base encoding to encode unix time stamps into something humans can accurately communicate over the phone using phonetic alphabet with no digit vs character ambiguities or confusion.

Edit: there's a very nice HP 651B oscillator on UK ebay for a reasonable amount of cash at the moment. I am tempted but I am also not tempted  :-DD

With all it's feet and the titling bail no less! I too am tempted but as it doesn't add any capability to what I already have I'm gonna pass too.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70612 on: September 28, 2020, 05:02:38 pm »

C'mon go get it. -for a short period of time.   >:D
You'll probably be able to sell it for £400 after you got sick of it.   >:D   :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #70613 on: September 28, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »
Paypal wants me to input my address (again). My address is
number, road
town
Bristol
postcode
but Bristol is not an option in the "counties" selection box.

Any suggestions?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70614 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:03 pm »
number, road
town
Bristol
postcode

Any suggestions?

Get a whole town hating them on Twitter! Only way to get anything fixed nowadays, embarrass the hell out of the company. Once upon a time a quiet "you've made an embarrassing mistake" privately to the company would have been enough...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70615 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:09 pm »

Yeh, I think mine blew up because I had connected it in reverse, I was just a young lad back then, taking my first steps in electronics and learning the hard lessons  :palm:

Hmm, just maybe with that 34401A. I might have been right about it being stolen property, hence no power leads or meter probes?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70616 on: September 28, 2020, 05:41:06 pm »
number, road
town
Bristol
postcode

Any suggestions?

Get a whole town hating them on Twitter! Only way to get anything fixed nowadays, embarrass the hell out of the company. Once upon a time a quiet "you've made an embarrassing mistake" privately to the company would have been enough...

Erm, well last time I looked I don't believe Bristol is a county, its a city AFAIK.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70617 on: September 28, 2020, 05:48:11 pm »
Quote from: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bristol
Bristol (/ˈbrɪstəl/ (About this soundlisten)) is a major city and county[4] in South West England with a population of 463,400.[5] The wider district has the 10th-largest population in England.[6] The urban area population of 724,000 is the 8th-largest in the UK.[2] The city lies between Gloucestershire to the north and Somerset to the south. South Wales lies across the Severn estuary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol

mnem
nice pants.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70618 on: September 28, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
Dang bought another HP supply  :-DD.

It's 115V but is 230v compatible.

The following users thanked this post: factory, mansaxel, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70619 on: September 28, 2020, 05:58:43 pm »
Quote from: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bristol
Bristol (/ˈbrɪstəl/ (About this soundlisten)) is a major city and county[4] in South West England with a population of 463,400.[5] The wider district has the 10th-largest population in England.[6] The urban area population of 724,000 is the 8th-largest in the UK.[2] The city lies between Gloucestershire to the north and Somerset to the south. South Wales lies across the Severn estuary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol
Er, yeah, I just found that out, Bristol, Bristol seems just as silly to me as New York, New York. It used to be part of Avon and then for some stupid reason, possibly to provide some sort of rigging of votes for electoral advantage, they did away with the county of Avon and split it up.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #70620 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:22 pm »

34401As are rising in price if anything, you explicitly said Ferengi mode is off and you've been on the prowl for one for years now. There's no excuses to not get it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70621 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:27 pm »
Dang bought another HP supply  :-DD.

It's 115V but is 230v compatible.
:wtf:You need a crowbar to adjust the trimmer  ;) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70622 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:49 pm »
 :-DD

Overvoltage crowbar in this case, a rarely installed option in the HP supplies  :-+

Looks like a fairly late one based on the badge and terminals.

34401As are rising in price if anything, you explicitly said Ferengi mode is off and you've been on the prowl for one for years now. There's no excuses to not get it.

Yeah it's killing me but I genuinely don't need it. Need to get used to running off trash hardware if I want to retire  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70623 on: September 28, 2020, 06:10:51 pm »
number, road
town
Bristol
postcode

Any suggestions?

Is Avon in there? Much like Middlesex I still have to use it regularly even though it doesn't exist now.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #70624 on: September 28, 2020, 06:18:11 pm »
Yeah it's killing me but I genuinely don't need it. Need to get used to running off trash hardware if I want to retire  :-DD
Prices are going up so you're not spending money, you're saving for your retirement. You get to play with a 34401A and make some sweet dough when you grow tired of it. It's more sensible than leaving your cash to rot in a bank account. I'll bet that's not even 6.5 digits either.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf