Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560806 times)

AVGresponding, 6h8c, factory and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29075 on: April 10, 2019, 11:16:58 pm »
Yep.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29076 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:28 pm »
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.  :-DD

VTVM lead kit finally arrived from the US  :-+. And of course being the impatient bugger I am, I spent lunch time assembling them and calibrating the VTVM. All working absolutely perfectly. All ranges spot on cal. This is actually a really really nice instrument. New probes are authentic "insta-death" style which is very cool. DC probe might get some shrink around the tip a bit so I don't accidentally zap myself on anything HV

Next step is cosmetic restoration. Need to work out how to get rid of that "10" right slap bang in the middle of it. Looks like it was big ass letraset + varnish. Will work that one out later.

That's a nice one, bd. The probes are pretty scary. One slip...

If the "10" is hard to remove, I'd probably just leave it. Seems to have been done pretty well. Not partially missing or applied crooked.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29077 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:40 pm »
As I have noted that some co-addicts are into HP8660-worship, I wanted to tell that there are 2 auctions on Ebay.de, one of which is the allegedly rare test plugin and the other a 110MHz RF section.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-11707A-Test-Plugin-fur-HP-8660C-Synthesized-Signal-Generator-extrem-selten/283443195687

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-86601A-RF-Section-0-01-110-MHz-2/283443197992

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29078 on: April 10, 2019, 11:38:51 pm »
Firely is religion in this house. In fact I'm sitting here with a firefly T-shirt on  :o

Edit: as much of a selfie as I'll ever do. T-shirt neatly fits in with the other comments made :D

Cool. I watch the whole series again about once a year. Hallmark released a Serenity ornament last year. Of course, had to get that.

Woah, the prices from these third party ornament shops is crazy. It's even more crazy on Amazon. I should've bought extras. :-DD
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:41:16 pm by bitseeker »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29079 on: April 10, 2019, 11:43:00 pm »
Another power meter joins the collection. 432A, but most importantly, this one came with a 478A thermistor mount. I also got the special old style line cord for the 431B, which enjoyed a successful power up with no dramatics.

Nice catch! How much did that set you back?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29080 on: April 10, 2019, 11:46:00 pm »
Firely is religion in this house. In fact I'm sitting here with a firefly T-shirt on  :o

Edit: as much of a selfie as I'll ever do. T-shirt neatly fits in with the other comments made :D

Cool. I watch the whole series again about once a year. Hallmark released a Serenity ornament last year. Of course, had to get that.

Woah, the prices from these third party ornament shops is crazy. It's even more crazy on Amazon. I should've bought extras. :-DD

Stop complaining and get printing ;) https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=SERENITY&dwh=785cae7f88e941c
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29081 on: April 10, 2019, 11:50:26 pm »
Hehe! Really nice paint job on that 3D logo. :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29082 on: April 10, 2019, 11:51:35 pm »
Jeez... I wonder what the licensed resin one I got from DragonCon in 2005 is worth... it was commissioned for the event.

mnem
Yeah, like I'd ever let it out of my sight... or my Farscape communicator.  :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29083 on: April 10, 2019, 11:52:40 pm »
Pics! :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29084 on: April 11, 2019, 12:04:25 am »
Yep.  :-+
Last time I saw a table that was Jim's it was covered with discrete parts while repairing a scope for his friend.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29085 on: April 11, 2019, 12:50:08 am »
Another power meter joins the collection. 432A, but most importantly, this one came with a 478A thermistor mount. I also got the special old style line cord for the 431B, which enjoyed a successful power up with no dramatics.

$300, which is substantially less than good thermistor mounts seem to sell for by themselves. It does work! Probably needs cal though, as the (unbroken) HP cal sticker on the thermistor is dated due in 1998.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:10:26 am by 0culus »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29086 on: April 11, 2019, 01:28:45 am »
So I got bored with cleaning up and sorting screws from their multiple repositories into some sort of order. Dad's, Mine and others... |O

Inside the Racal SA535 Frequency Counter. Interesting it runs a Crystal Oven @ 1MHz. Looks like I will need to do a board by board clean as it has most of it's 50+ years of dust inside. Each of the bulbs is 12V @ 100mA might explain why the vintage Transistors tended to fail, there is a display timer on the front panel to help I guess. Each of the decade blocks carries 2 spare bulbs and they all appear to be good so I have a dozen spare.

Link to the Manual http://eww.ko4bb.com/manuals/121.219.19.120/Racal_SA.535_Universal_Counter_Timer_OM139.8.65.500_Issue_3.pdf

EDIT: added photos of front and back for POI completeness.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:52:00 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29087 on: April 11, 2019, 01:56:48 am »
Man, really old germanium stuff !  :o

Found a pdf with some specs that you might be able to use for X reference:
https://www.datasheet.live/index.php?title=Special:PdfViewer&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpdf.datasheet.live%2Fd10c1555%2Fdatasheet.directory%2FOC71.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29088 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:04 am »

When I find it... that stuff's all with my Farscape Memorabilia. I know it's in there somewhere... but haven't unearthed it yet. :o

And I just discovered that my dryer circuit breaker has died... with a dead gecko under the breaker next to it.  :-[

mnem
Good thing I'm not with Geico.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29089 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:03 am »

$300, which is substantially less than good thermistor mounts seem to sell for by themselves. It does work! Probably needs cal though, as the (unbroken) HP cal sticker on the thermistor is dated due in 1998.

That's not bad. The lowest I saw for a working 478A was close to $400.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29090 on: April 11, 2019, 03:28:30 am »
Inside the Racal SA535.

Cool! Added to the POI.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29091 on: April 11, 2019, 03:31:54 am »
So I got bored with cleaning up and sorting screws from their multiple repositories into some sort of order. Dad's, Mine and others... |O

Inside the Racal SA535. Interesting it runs a Crystal Oven @ 1MHz. Looks like I will need to do a board by board clean as it has most of it's 50+ years of dust inside. Each of the bulbs is 12V @ 100mA might explain why the vintage Transistors tended to fail, there is a display timer on the front panel to help I guess. Each of the decade blocks carries 2 spare bulbs and they all appear to be good so I have a dozen spare.

Are those tin whiskers in the second photograph?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29092 on: April 11, 2019, 03:32:13 am »

When I find it... that stuff's all with my Farscape Memorabilia. I know it's in there somewhere... but haven't unearthed it yet. :o

For a future random topic of the day diversion. ;)

And I just discovered that my dryer circuit breaker has died... with a dead gecko under the breaker next to it.  :-[

That's what happens when an auto insurance lizard thinks he's an electrician.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29093 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37:44 am »

Inside the Racal SA535. Interesting it runs a Crystal Oven @ 1MHz. Looks like I will need to do a board by board clean as it has most of it's 50+ years of dust inside. Each of the bulbs is 12V @ 100mA might explain why the vintage Transistors tended to fail, there is a display timer on the front panel to help I guess. Each of the decade blocks carries 2 spare bulbs and they all appear to be good so I have a dozen spare.

Unsure, I have put the top back on until I have the time to do a proper strip/clean and restoration. Could be just lint and dust bunnies but I will take a look under the magnifying gear when I do.  :-//

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29094 on: April 11, 2019, 05:04:27 am »

That's not bad. The lowest I saw for a working 478A was close to $400.

Yeah, they are expensive because they are still used to calibrate more modern open loop style RF power meters. Keysight actually still works on the 478A thermistor mounts, and lists it for sale from third party distributors. My plan is to do just that; get a more modern open loop meter and use this to calibrate it after sending it to get freshly calibrated (whether I pop for NIST traceable or not...probably not for hobby use).

I did some testing tonight after reading the manuals for the 432A and the 478A. The 478A still has all the cal seals intact, and according to the label, had a NIST traceable cal done on 11/18/97, which came due 11/18/98. The good news? The power meter and my 8566A appear to agree almost exactly. The bad news is my 8664A probably needs calibration, as it is showing about 0.4 dBm off. This particular 478A is a -H88 option which means it's a 1 GHz rather than a 10 GHz mount. But that's ok with me as my intended use case is calibrating the 50 MHz cal signal on an open loop meter. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29095 on: April 11, 2019, 05:39:07 am »
Does it still have its calibration factor information? I noticed in the photos, you had the meter always at 100%.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29096 on: April 11, 2019, 05:40:00 am »
Yes, that was the closest I could get to the 99.1% cal factor it is labeled for @ 100 MHz. [edit] I'm an idiot, I should have had it on the dot in the middle.  :palm: [edit edit] So with the cal factor knob on the 99 detent I now get -9.5 dBm for the 8664A set at -10 dBm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:58:09 am by 0culus »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29097 on: April 11, 2019, 07:26:56 am »
A very nice 453 has appeared on eBay UK.  Buyer collects. 180 mile round trip for me. Worth it. I will fight anyone to the death on that one, if I don't spend all my moolah at Kempton

The vendor has literally saved me from killing myself on many occasions :) 

He can also be found on TekScopes, and is also skilled at repairing some items that won't fit in a house.

Summary: I would expect it to be a good purchase.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29098 on: April 11, 2019, 07:51:28 am »

Unsure, I have put the top back on until I have the time to do a proper strip/clean and restoration. Could be just lint and dust bunnies but I will take a look under the magnifying gear when I do.  :-//

In my limited experience, those aren't tin whiskers.

Individual tin whiskers tend to be straight, but many of them can look like fuzzy dust, e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/36125222306/in/album-72157684032987114/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29099 on: April 11, 2019, 08:00:22 am »
A very nice 453 has appeared on eBay UK.  Buyer collects. 180 mile round trip for me. Worth it. I will fight anyone to the death on that one, if I don't spend all my moolah at Kempton

The vendor has literally saved me from killing myself on many occasions :) 

He can also be found on TekScopes, and is also skilled at repairing some items that won't fit in a house.

Summary: I would expect it to be a good purchase.

Excellent. Good to know. You never know if a wally has been in something (my last 453 was basically fubar inside when I got it).

In my limited experience, those aren't tin whiskers.

Individual tin whiskers tend to be straight, but many of them can look like fuzzy dust, e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/36125222306/in/album-72157684032987114/

Here's some actual tin whiskers I experienced. They were inside the reference oscillator in the 7L12 I had last year. They were brushed off carefully and then the boards hoovered out with a mini-vac. The whiskers were launching themselves off the sides of the RF shielding into the board. They hadn't caused a short (yet) but you can see where that was heading!

(picture left large on this one)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf