Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556744 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80700 on: January 25, 2021, 04:43:28 pm »
Join us, they said. There'll be talk of T&M gear they said. Just some guys ('n gals) hanging around discussing gear presservation and repair, they said.  :palm:

I wanted to have some on topic TEA content today. I was all ready for it. I powered up the Siglent SDM3055 and the Fluke 8505A last night so they would be warmed up and stable in anticipation of checking out the Leeds and Northrup resistance box that USPS said would be delivered today but even getting a package from 40 miles away is beyond their ability.  :palm:
Here you go buddy... all Amazon Prime, so probably actually get it sometime this month:

https://www.amazon.com/Transistor-Components-Capacitance-Inductance-Multimeter/dp/B07MBFF748/

https://www.amazon.com/5000-Handheld-LCR-Meter-accessories/dp/B00S298KJO

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Assortment-Capacitors-Transistors-Potentiometers/dp/B06XGH7T9L/

https://www.amazon.com/Tweezers-Capacitor-Multimeter-Frequency-Generator/dp/B08HJ2NRMG/

https://www.amazon.com/BenchtopTester-Capacitance-Resistance-Inductance-40Hz-100kHz/dp/B07XHJ92CL/

There's the ESR02 I've been proselytizing with only ~$5 Amazon markup, and a new contender for cheap LCR Tweezers; these appear to also have some signal gen functionality. And of course, that DE-5000 for $125 with PRIME delivery makes it pretty much a no-brainer if you don't already have one. Plus 1870 pieces of cheap-ass Chinese components and a cheap-ass component tester for $70; good for quick tinkery or to use in place of decent components when you're planning to try something stoopit. The MCR-5100 is a bit on the expensive side, but only ~$100 more than similar ones I've seen on AliEx, only without the benefit of PRIME delivery and warranty protection.

mnem
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:53:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80701 on: January 25, 2021, 04:54:30 pm »
So the dodgy car part ebay seller cancelled my order. I reported them to ebay. Ebay don't make it easy to report sellers these days and of course I can't leave negative feedback. I also reported them to their local Trading Standards office as they are obviously breaking multiple cars but there is no authorised ELV ATF  aka car breaker anywhere near their address. Also the cars were pictured on grass or a dirt yard which is a big no-no these days. For those not in the know it's technically illegal to break even your own car for parts in the UK these days.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80702 on: January 25, 2021, 04:58:01 pm »
...@factory my condolences.

I don't know if you intended it to be, but thats quite funny  :-DD

If she hadn't said it, I would have. ;) I wound up having to offer sincere congratulations instead.  :-DD

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #80703 on: January 25, 2021, 05:01:00 pm »
Maybe better luck in the morning then, good to see that you're keeping your spirit up. I always fancied nurses and other such professional types who wore uniforms, not so much for their uniforms but what according to what was the topic back then, what they wore under those uniforms  ;) ;D

I like too, though that's probably quite a politically incorrect thing to say nowadays.

Oh, and who left that Racal counter lying around on the forum? Someone's liable to pick it up!   :rant:

Yes. Yes I did, and it's your fault.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80704 on: January 25, 2021, 05:03:03 pm »
you might try the HD Radio Network Blues Stream or Perihelion Classic Rock, Cincinatti.

Pretty decent music, no ads. Those are my 2 favs.

Listening the jazz channel since two hours and I love it. Unfortunately my company proxy is cutting it off.... so no no during work.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80705 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:05 pm »
Maybe better luck in the morning then, good to see that you're keeping your spirit up. I always fancied nurses and other such professional types who wore uniforms, not so much for their uniforms but what according to what was the topic back then, what they wore under those uniforms  ;) ;D

I like too, though that's probably quite a politically incorrect thing to say nowadays.

Oh, and who left that Racal counter lying around on the forum? Someone's liable to pick it up!   :rant:

Yes. Yes I did, and it's your fault.

Surprisingly other than pictures I've never seen my Lady Cop in her uniform.  ;D

Not that it much matters anyway.  >:D >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #80706 on: January 25, 2021, 06:01:49 pm »
Well fuck. In hospital. Bowel obstruction. Not sure if it’s serious or not. Rate this day 0/10 do not recommend :--

I pray that you get off better than I did.  I had to have a naso-gastric tube put in to pump out the liquid sh!t in my system during which I had to grab the bed rails to stop throttleing the ER nurse.  No food or drink for almost 5 days and a little over 2 liters of liquid sh!t was pumped out through that damn tube over almost 5 days.  On the 5th day, I had to have an ultrasound where they had to have me drink a compound to trace movement or find the obstruction in the bowel.  The blessing for me was the side effect of the compound-diarrhea.  Unfortunately, it hit while Mrs. GreyWoolfe was helping me take a shower as I had tubes in me that couldn't get wet.  Had to finish on the toilet and back in for a 2nd shower.  Thankfully, this was a common occurrence back in the day when she worked for a home health care company so she was rather nonplussed about it but I was mortified.   That little interlude thankfully cleared my bowels and I was able to go home on the 6th day. After the diarrhea incident, they actually decided that I could drink again and they even fed me dinner that night.  The most expensive beverage in the world did not taste better than the first sip of apple juice after all the time without nothing.

I now take a tablespoon of fiber everyday and 2 Ex-lax tablets everyday and try to drink plenty of fluids.  This does a far better job at combatting my chronic constipation, which caused the bowel obstruction, than the expensive medication that the gastroenterologist prescribed.

Ugh that’s horrible. Wasn’t that bad. Half way. They did an abdominal X-ray to look for lumps and then an ultrasound. Eventually they stuffed the nasal gastric tube down there and pumped something in to dissolve the blockage which came out about three hours afterwards via the correct orifice rather unceremoniously  :'(.

I certainly sympathise. I can deal with broken limbs quite happily but bowel problems are the worst.

Just ate a yoghurt. They’re going to see how I respond to that. Then a meal. Probably home tomorrow   :phew::phew:

Nothing went down the tube, everything was intravenous.  They just pumped me out.  I have broken a few bones, had a few surgeries and lots of scars from various things.  This was the 2nd worse experience.  The first was the pain when my gall bladder went tits up.  Mrs GreyWoolfe had hers removed and she said the pain was worse than childbirth.  I thought she was exaggerating.  I know now she wasn't
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80707 on: January 25, 2021, 06:24:24 pm »
you might try the HD Radio Network Blues Stream or Perihelion Classic Rock, Cincinatti.

Listening the jazz channel since two hours and I love it. Unfortunately my company proxy is cutting it off.... so no no during work.

I run the company proxy. I fail to see the problem ;-) BTW, we also have every sat channel receivable with a 4 meter antenna.

My favourite jazz channel is the Danish public service radio jazz channel DR P8 Jazz. Very groovy, a lot of latin intermingled, but also the best place to listen to organ jazz, with performers like "Brother" Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, and Jimmy Smith.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80708 on: January 25, 2021, 06:28:24 pm »
   https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Calculator-Multi-purpose-Electronic-Electronics/dp/B076SBY7DG/

Here's something for the calculator wars... plus a fun little bit of busy work kit-building. Hard to go wrong for $16 PRIME delivery. Except, of course, you'll need to find something else to make the minimum order...  >:D

mnem
*looking for deals on components-ily*

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80709 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
6237B update:

Shipping initiated; the first leg is UPS Ground to Erlanger.

Edit: I of course went into the jazz organ rabbit hole, currently listening to "Big Booty Bounce" by Jimmy McGriff.  All I need now is a 6-lane urban motorway in Philly, and a two-tone brown gas-guzzler with a suspension soft like the nightmare version of TE packaging.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:40:25 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80710 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:57 pm »
Join us, they said. There'll be talk of T&M gear they said. Just some guys ('n gals) hanging around discussing gear presservation and repair, they said.  :palm:

I wanted to have some on topic TEA content today. I was all ready for it. I powered up the Siglent SDM3055 and the Fluke 8505A last night so they would be warmed up and stable in anticipation of checking out the Leeds and Northrup resistance box that USPS said would be delivered today but even getting a package from 40 miles away is beyond their ability.  :palm:

It appears to be the northern NJ/southern NY area post offices that seem completely hosed up.  I mentioned a while back that I'd ordered something from the northern NJ area a few weeks ago.  The P.O. had it on January 7th.  I received it on the 19th.  12 days to travel about 120 miles as the crow flies (granted there was one holiday in that period, but still....).  The morning the carrier dropped off the HP 5590A that I'd ordered Thursday of last week.  It came approximately the same distance, but from the opposite direction, originating west of Boston MA.  Apparently it avoided the USPS black hole in NJ.

Preliminary pic:

-Pat
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:52:28 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80711 on: January 25, 2021, 07:03:18 pm »
6237B update:

Edit: I of course went into the jazz organ rabbit hole, currently listening to "Big Booty Bounce" by Jimmy McGriff.  All I need now is a 6-lane urban motorway in Philly, and a two-tone brown gas-guzzler with a suspension soft like the nightmare version of TE packaging.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF/s-l1600.jpg[/img]]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Gwynn-Prix-1-Off-Concept-car-Unique-piece-of-American-History-swap-px/284159532520?hash=item42293a5de8:g:lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80712 on: January 25, 2021, 07:04:09 pm »
6237B update:

You forgot the most important part.   :P :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80713 on: January 25, 2021, 07:05:22 pm »
This one makes me angry. Who thought this mod was a good idea?!?!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184634587029

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80714 on: January 25, 2021, 07:09:12 pm »

It appears to be the northern NJ/southern NY area post offices that seem completely hosed up.  I mentioned a while back that I'd ordered something from the northern NJ area a few weeks ago.  The P.O. had it on January 7th.  I received it on the 19th.  12 days to travel about 120 miles as the crow flies (granted there was one holiday in that period, but still....).  The morning the carrier dropped off the HP 5590A that I'd ordered Thursday of last week.  It came approximately the same distance, but from the opposite direction, originating west of Boston MA.  Apparently it avoided the USPS black hole in NJ.

Preliminary pic:   

-Pat

Not exactly an isolated issue. All but one regional sorting hub in Texas has been devastated by damage from the hurricane and never restored even close to original capacity; the one that was untouched at Dallas/Ft Worth has been a well-known Keystone Kops level clusterfuck of mis-sorting, revisionist tracking and outright lost parcels for nearly 2 decades.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80715 on: January 25, 2021, 07:10:23 pm »

That's a real hack (in the negative sense) job, even I would blush to make something that crude.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #80716 on: January 25, 2021, 07:11:34 pm »

Company proxy aka interesting playground for all kinds of http/https tunneling tricks ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80717 on: January 25, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »

I went looking for some 1W metal film resistors... which of course turned into a bit of retail therapy.  :P  So now I'll have a few things to keep me busy while I thaw out from the day spent emptying the last of that effing storage unit. :-//

mnem

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80718 on: January 25, 2021, 08:18:27 pm »
6237B update:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF/s-l1600.jpg[/img]]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Gwynn-Prix-1-Off-Concept-car-Unique-piece-of-American-History-swap-px/284159532520?hash=item42293a5de8:g:lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF

:wtf:  :o   I've been a Pontiac guy since I was a kid, but always thought the GP from that era was a rather ugly car.  That thing is an order of magnitude or three WORSE as far as I'm concerned!  <imagine puking emoji here>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, AVGresponding

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #80719 on: January 25, 2021, 08:21:42 pm »
@bd glad to hear that things are coming to pass👍, be careful with long term use of senna compounds - the gut can get 'addicted'. Sorbitol, lactulose or movicol ($) thought to be better. Haribo here we come. 👍

I too have just got out of hospital - fell off my mountain bike (bloody kangaroo jumped out in front - in a National Park) unfortunately I think I broke one of his legs - he couldn't hop away - my riding buddy rang the Ranger😞.
I stopped myself using my right elbow and knee (saves the brake pads 😜) . I have seen my kneecap directly for the first time. Went to theatre for a scrub out of both wounds, on antibiotics for 3 weeks, just moping around home now and getting grumpier than usual.
Edit - have lots of photos 😜, the surgeon did a bloody good job, silk purse from a sow's ear, 👍
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:23:20 pm by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80720 on: January 25, 2021, 08:28:23 pm »
@bd glad to hear that things are coming to pass👍, be careful with long term use of senna compounds - the gut can get 'addicted'. Sorbitol, lactulose or movicol ($) thought to be better. Haribo here we come. 👍

I too have just got out of hospital - fell off my mountain bike (bloody kangaroo jumped out in front - in a National Park) unfortunately I think I broke one of his legs - he couldn't hop away - my riding buddy rang the Ranger😞.
I stopped myself using my right elbow and knee (saves the brake pads 😜) . I have seen my kneecap directly for the first time. Went to theatre for a scrub out of both wounds, on antibiotics for 3 weeks, just moping around home now and getting grumpier than usual.
Edit - have lots of photos 😜, the surgeon did a bloody good job, silk purse from a sow's ear, 👍
Ouch !

Your signature now seems very appropriate !  :-DD
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #80721 on: January 25, 2021, 08:52:42 pm »

Can't say I ever hit a kangaroo during a mountain bike ride.  Ouch!

The worst I even hit was a frog or a snake and on just one occasion a bat.  The bat was on a night right and smacked right against the helmet, so no damage to me, just a  :wtf: moment.
Actually, the most painful mountain bike incident was not snapping a handlebar (just roll with it...), but getting unbalanced and gently falling into a cactus in Colorado .... ouch ouch ouch  :--

Hope you recover quickly!

@bd, hope you get back home quickly as planned!

Offline dxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80722 on: January 25, 2021, 08:56:46 pm »
Dammit. Sold my hp70k system a year ago because i don't have time for it anymore. Today i couldn't resist taking this baby home for 750EUR. Still have no time left for it, guess i need some TEA treatment...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80723 on: January 25, 2021, 08:57:28 pm »

Yes. Yes I did, and it's your fault.[/b]
[/color]

Glad I could assist it saving it from those evil horologist butchers.  :-+

David

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #80724 on: January 25, 2021, 09:06:05 pm »

That's a real hack (in the negative sense) job, even I would blush to make something that crude.

Lol!

Also: I hate those with a passion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf