Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769629 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8250 on: June 09, 2017, 11:06:20 pm »
Just t  be very clear here:

You have an E4 camera with 1.2L HARDWARE and 2.11 FIRMWARE

You are using the firmware 2.11 hack aren't you ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880

Your comment about 1.2L, not 1.22 makes me think you may be using the Firmware 1.22 hack ? This would be wrong for your 2.11 camera.

Just checking as I do not hack these later models and have forgotten the names of the tools files used.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8251 on: June 14, 2017, 10:11:44 pm »
Hi All,

I tried to look around here but i can't find it. If a E4 has part number 63901-0101 is that associated with a particular HW version? Or does the new model have the same part number?

Thanks!

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #8252 on: June 22, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
Hi All,

I tried to look around here but i can't find it. If a E4 has part number 63901-0101 is that associated with a particular HW version? Or does the new model have the same part number?

Thanks!

63901-0101 is older E4's MPN;

63906-0604 is new E4 Wifi's MPN;

63901-0101 is also new E4 without Wifi's MPN;

BTW, the new E4 without Wifi's (63901-0101) S/N is 9 digits, non the older modle is 8 digits.

The following users thanked this post: onesixright

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8253 on: June 22, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
Hello: I am fighting a little bit with the Flir e4. Version 1.2L.

when I try to perform the ftool decryption, decryption fails on "tail part 2". I am not sure if I understand the c# code correctly, but I think that means an early step with a mismatch. I ftp,ed the file with the windows command line and also with core ftp lite (filezilla n/a for windows xp) - same problem so i don't think it is a potentially corrupted conf.crc file, but really the ftool itself that produces the error.

Can you advise if there is an updated ftools to be used for camera version E4 1.2L (not 1.22) sw 2.11.0

I believe ftool was for early FW versions and had not been used for maybe 3 years or so. You should work this thread backwards until you find the latest post that applies to your version of FW.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline energychanges

« Reply #8254 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:04 pm »
Hi everybody,

can anyone help me to increase the resolution with my FW 3.5.0?

Thanks a lot

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8255 on: June 29, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »
Not hackable, yet. I'm in the same boat with you.

Offline wudecao

« Reply #8256 on: July 17, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »
My E4 is FW 2.3.0 and hacked. I want to upgrade FW 2.11.0 and hack.

What steps do I need to do?

As my backup files has lost, I can't revert the 2.3.0 hacking.

Can I upgrade 2.11.0 directly and hack it under 2.3.0 hacked condition.

(The link of 2.3.0 downgrade File has expired, someboby could send a copy to me :'()

Offline george577

« Reply #8257 on: July 20, 2017, 05:55:53 am »
Good afternoon, help please, bought a camera at auction, but it does not work, the image is in the form of chaotic color strips. Firmware 2.11.0. Outwardly new, there are no traces of blows and damages.
I ask for your help. thanks in advance

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8258 on: July 20, 2017, 06:10:47 am »
That looks pretty severe!

You could try reloading the firmware?

Offline george577

« Reply #8259 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:59 am »
The firmware was 2.11, I upgraded 2.11 again
I'm afraid that this is an hardware problem, such an image from an infrared sensor and from a video camera too.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:46:12 am by george577 »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8260 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:46 am »
Hmmm, if it's from both, then there could be a dodgy connection somewhere. Would you willing to open it up? If you watch the video you can see how it disassembles. You can then check all connections.

Offline george577

« Reply #8261 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:20 am »
According to the video disassembly there are 2 connections - the infrared camera and the usual camera, they are on different ends of the board and are not connected with each other.
Images from both cameras are missing.
But the calibration periodically clicks, which means that the signal to the board arrives.
I reviewed a lot of forums yesterday, I saw this from one person, but he did not find a solution to the problem.
I thought you might have met such a thing.
The seller sent the camera as fully working. I opened the pictures in the camera and saw that the problem had already appeared with the seller.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8262 on: July 20, 2017, 10:54:12 am »
Return the camera. That is not going to be an easy fix and may not even be a viable repair. FLIR will charge a fixed $400 for repair if the microbolometer is not the defective part. The bill is more if it is. Warranty may be available I'd proof of purchase is available to you. If it goes back to FLIR you will receive a 2017 man board in he has spared unit. That is currently not upgradeable in any way.

Personally, unless the camera cost less than $200,  I would send it back and obtain a refund. Why $200 ? ..... that is the scrap value as a parts donor

Fraser

Offline george577

« Reply #8263 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:31 am »
I paid 750$+70 shiping

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8264 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:01 pm »
Return the camera. For that money it should be in perfect working order.

If it was an eBay sale, open a case and request a refund. Do no more to the camera as that risks accusations of you causing the problem. This is not a simple 'loose connection' (it rarely is) as it effects both visible and IR cameras.

Fraser

Offline george577

« Reply #8265 on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:26 pm »
Thank you, I probably will, I'm sorry I spent so much time and money

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #8266 on: July 26, 2017, 03:26:01 pm »
The firmware was 2.11, I upgraded 2.11 again
I'm afraid that this is an hardware problem, such an image from an infrared sensor and from a video camera too.
What is your hardware version?

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #8267 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:59 am »

in case its needed: flir_ex_pn639_v2.3.0_update_pack.zip

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=31230308277018046712

Offline netengineer

« Reply #8268 on: August 08, 2017, 11:40:05 pm »
I've been watching this thread for a while, but now it's time to jump in. I have access to acquire the following E4 unit lightly used at a good price:

1.1L (model)
1.22.0 (software)
63901-0101 (part number)

As a professional technologist, I tend to prefer having the most recent hardware. As a fiscally reasonable human being, I prefer to invest the least amount that will guarantee my success to an E8 software port. What is the consensus on the 1.1L/v1.22.0 unit? If not that, what would be the perfect hardware/software version to acquire to have the best technology on a unit with the least risk of bricking?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:06:17 am by netengineer »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8269 on: August 09, 2017, 12:43:46 am »
EDIT :

'Netengineer' asked whether a specified E4 could be upgrade to E8 spec and in 'fancy speak' basically stated he wanted the latest technology at the lowest possible cost to him (who doesn't !)

He further stated that he intends to use the thermal camera, an FLIR E4 or other, to search for caves and for precious metals in creeks.

For some reason this perfectly reasonable proposal has been removed from his post which makes make response seem pretty abstract in its content.

My response to the original question is below.

Original response......

That E4 can be upgraded.

Whether it will do what you are expecting of it is a different matter

Are you confident that thermal imaging will reveal caves and precious metals in your scenario ? It is not a technology that I have used for such so cannot offer comment on its effectiveness.

I can state that a thermal camera cannot produce useful thermal data through great depths of rock or even shallow water. Remember, the camera can only show you temperature differential. If different materials are present but at the same surface temperature, only the different surface emissivities will allow you to discriminate between them. Place such items under water and you will only see the waters surface temperature and not what lies beneath.

If a large slab of rock contains a hollow area that is relatively near to the surface, the suns heat may well reveal a difference in the rocks thermal density at that point and the void may be discernible if the weather conditions and time if day are favourable. If the rock is covered with soil or plants, these will reduce the effect to a point that it likely cannot be seen.

The Ex range are budget cameras with a fixed focus relatively wide angle lens. It is not the best series of cameras for looking at distant objects, especially if they are small.

A more professional camera range would be the Exx series as these are equipped with a manual focus lens that may be changed to enable the use of wide angle and telephoto lenses. Neither the camera, nor the lenses are cheap though. You need to be very confident in your theory for detecting caves and metals via thermography before buying such a camera, even at used prices.

I suggest you test your theory by seeding an area with metal in a manner similar to that which you expect to find when searching for real, and rent a FLIR camera to see how it performs. You could even try it against known cave systems.

I suspect you will be disappointed with the results.

I would be approaching your challenge using different technology, namely, Geophysical sub surface Radar and an advanced spectrum analysis type metal detector. I have used both and they work well provided you are trained in both use and interpreting the results correctly.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:27:14 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: netengineer

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8270 on: August 09, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
Double post ?

You have removed detail of what you are intending to use the thermal camera for. Did you not like me commenting on the feasibility of cave and precious metal (in water) detection using this technology ?

I think I answered your question on the E4. That version of the E4, running that firmware is easily upgradeable.

There is no software 'port' to upgrade the resolution and add E8 menu's to an E4. These upgrades are just selected in the configuration files. Extra menu features were grafted into the Ex build from Exx build to create the E8+ Custom version that most of us use.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:16:48 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: netengineer

Offline netengineer

« Reply #8271 on: August 09, 2017, 02:49:32 pm »
Fraser,

I greatly appreciated your discussion around the usage and feasibility of the cave and precious metal usage. I probably should have started with just the tech question about what is the preferred hw/sw model for someone wanting to to the e8 upgrade, but also wants the most modern/capable hardware version. I'm 99% certain that I'm acquiring an e4 model, as I know a lot of people within my hobby have used that exact model with great success. I'm also not opposed to acquiring additional FLIR models should they be far superior for my needs.

My apologies for the confusion in the updated post. No disrespect intended. I just have someone with only 1 e4 unit (hw 1.1L, sw 1.22.0) that will likely be sold soon, so I'm quickly trying to ascertain if the community would recommend acquiring a HW 1.1L / SW 1.22.0 unit or hold out for a better model.

Once that is determined, I'm looking very much forward to testing and exploring your other ideas and recommendations around prospecting and exploration of nature for my hobby's purpose. Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8272 on: August 09, 2017, 03:03:57 pm »
Where the E4 is concerned, there is no advantage to the later hardware version and the firmware gets more challenging to upgrade with each release

Be aware that after the initial easy upgrade was made public, FLIR were focussed on placing obstacles in the path of users attempting such, not on improving the firmware. The original firmware 1.19 is both stable and very effective. Later firmware versions did not improve imaging performance as there was nothing to improve.

The very latest E4 camera release known as the 2017 models are not, at this time, upgradeable due to better countermeasures in the firmware.

With the E4, earlier versions likely command a better price due to the ease with which they can be upgraded and modified.

As stated, the Exx series are more capable, but they cost more on the secondary market as a result. They use the same core firmware as the Ex series but the microbolometer and lens are superior performers.

Fraser

Offline SolderSucker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8273 on: August 21, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »
I understand that there may be problems when trying to enable the enhanced menu on a Flir E4 that has had the firmware downgraded from 2.8 to 2.3 (and modded for the high resolution) - is that still the case?

I've done a lot of reading on the matter and can't find anything definitive.

Thanks

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8274 on: August 22, 2017, 06:58:08 pm »
hello
my new camera E4 (no wifi)
 is Fw 3.5.0 (2017 mars)
connect to RNDIS donwgrade to 2.3.O
and apply hack and menu
is very good work
Downgrade FW 3.5.0 to 2.3.0 is possible!!!
confirmed  :-+

Any proof on that?
Posting the exact same text on several places doesnt add any credibility to what i will consider to be BS untill proven otherwise.
Theres no fun in writing up BS in hope others break expensive hardware trying it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf