Author Topic: FLIR T440bx hacking - custom application for Ex/Exx/Txxx cameras, UltraMax  (Read 28472 times)

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Great work. I hope the project continues. The best offer for a Txx series I ever found was a T420 for 5000€ + tax. And I can't justify. But I was wondering.
Could you mess with exposure time? That would make astronomy possible.
You wrote about using grid party rendering and superresolution. Would that be similar to the ThermalCamera+ app or something else?

Offline Spirit532Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
No, these sensors don't have any low level control - all that is done in the FPGA.
I'm not sure what grid party rendering is, but superresolution is increasing the actual radiometric resolution by 4x(so 320x240 turns into 640x480) by means of supersampling and then deconvolution. I haven't implemented that yet, as I'm not that good with code.

As for the offer - this hack works on all Ex/Exx cameras as well, including the E4-8.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Awesome job! Thanks for the effort. So the UltraMax (assuming this is what you're meaning when you say superresolution) is working or not working? I will try this out tomorrow on my E40.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
At the moment, the hack is only capable of outputting a burst of 16 images to the specified folder. There is no post-processing software that would allow you to create final superresolution images yet.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Gotcha. I wonder if there's a way to see how the Tools+ software is doing it for the cameras that are capable and tricking it into working for the others.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
I explained that a bit in my article - take a closer look.
The images my hack takes are directly compatible with the UltraMax JPEGs (even)higher end cameras generate, but the formats are different.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Got it. Looks promising, and there is a way to do super-resolution with Photoshop with those 16 images.

On another note, I just finished attempting to do the hack, and it isn't working for me on my "E60+ upgraded" E40. Holding the "Back/Menu"  button and pressing the down arrow and releasing results in...nothing at all. I was wondering about the applaunch.dat append though - should that be "# Start hack.launcher" like you have it in the sample? or "# Start Hack.exe" like would seem to be correct?

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Hmm. Decided to try the other method with presets but there's a problem there as well. Your install instructions say for the second method to add the $preset_estimate_max_load folder into /FlashFS/system/profile.d folder. There isn't one on my cam. Presets aren't even normally there in my camera menu unless I enable them in the UI config file - and then the menu entry is just empty. I did try enabling the presets option in the config file and re-running the CRC01 for the correct CRC but the "Back/Menu" plus down arrow combo still does nothing. I am running the 2.23.14 firmware.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:31:05 am by eKretz »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Ah, that's right, my bad. It should be "hack", not launcher. Fixed. The "# Start hack." is a comment.
I've uploaded the fix to the site as well.

As for $preset_estimate_max_load - please read the instructions carefully, or watch the video again.
You have to replace an existing preset in the case that adding a preset doesn't work. Also, if your camera is CRC01, you should be able to use applaunch, since it isn't signed.

To check whether the hack is running, you can connect to the camera via telnet and run "ps". "hack.exe" should be in the process list.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:41:59 am by Spirit532 »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
In the case of $preset... you misunderstand - there IS no profile.d in my camera.

In the case of the "hack" vs. "launcher" issue - I just tried fixing that and although it changed things, still not working.  The camera went through normal boot-up except a black screen appeared rather than (or maybe right after) the normal blue one with Flir welcome to infrared blah blah. The progress bar did its thing and the normal infrared camera screen came up and is displaying image and temp etc. .However, the regular menu buttons aren't working at all. I can't bring up any menu. Also tried the "Back/Menu" plus down arrow and when I do that the screen just goes blank of all text and temp info. If I then hit the back button again, the spot, temp and temp scale come back but still can't open the menu. Only way out is a hard power down with 10 second power button press. Just reverted to original applaunch.dat and eveything is working fine again,but of course no hack.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:11:58 am by eKretz »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
In that case, try placing this launcher.exe next to hack.exe and replacing "hack" with "launcher" in applaunch.dat
https://i.spirit.re/cPvpz.zip

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
AARGH! Still not there, but closer. OK, now I'm getting the normal boot screen all the way through to the camera coming on. The menu buttons are now working correctly. I can now open the hack menu with the "Menu/Back" button + down arrow combo. I can scroll and select options with OK button. I can back out of the menu with the "Back/Menu" button. But, When I get back out of the menu with the Super-resolution function enabled, pushing the "Up" arrow does nothing. No activity light on the memory card and no images saved to the ImageSequences folder. I even tried holding the "Menu/Back" button and pressing the "Up" arrow, and that goes "Beep, Beep" but no memory card activity light and no images in the ImageSequences folder. I also noticed at least one of the options isn't there, like the "FLIR Logo" checkbox - not sure if that's intentional though.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
You have to hold the back button while activating the functions. Otherwise it interferes with other menus.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Like I said, tried that too. Still no dice. All I get is a couple of beeps and no photos in the ImageSequences folder. And I double-checked that the slashes were the correct way and that the filename matches. Here's the contents of the hack.ini - is all of this correct? What's with the FLIR logo option missing in the hack menu? That only for certain models?

[hackOptions]
disable_nuc = false
record_sequence = false
flir_logo = true
max_jpeg_quality = true
record_stack = false
save_path = \StorageCard\DCIM\ImageSequences
programmable_msx = true
defaultZoomLevel = 1
[buttonDefinitions]
joybutton = 13
backbutton = 112
joyup = 38
joydown = 40
joyleft = 37
joyright = 39

Also, I noticed that sometimes when I go into the hack menu, it disappears except for the bottom white line with the URL. If I then push the up or down arrow keys, each option that is highlighted as I scroll through will come back and stay there, but the header never comes back.  The "Back/Menu" + Right/Left arrow combo does work for the zoom option, but MSX alignment just seems to zoom the visual/digital camera when in PIP mode (My cam is the older version without MSX except for in FLIR Tools).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:22:44 am by eKretz »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
That's odd - both "record_stack" and "record_sequence" are set to false, but beeps are happening. Are you sure it's enabled? Try turning off and on again, see if that outputs a .seq. You want to record a sequence(superrres).
The FLIR logo option should be there on all models - I'll check once I have a bit more time.
As for the menu disappearing - the visuals should disappear before the menu opens, because that causes interference. It should still function, just a rendering glitch.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
That's just the default .ini. Just wanted to make sure there were no errors there. The camera only beeps when the option for superresolution is toggled on - I tried it both ways. Getting beeps but no pictures with the option toggled on; no beeps and no pictures with the option toggled off. I have also tried power cycling multiple times with no result. One time the power button stopped working and had to do a hard power down, then everything was back to normal on restart. The option for the FLIR logo has never been in the menu on any of the varied attempts.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
It could be that it isn't liking the path. Try putting it somewhere not on the SD card, but on camera flash.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Good idea, will try that next. My battery is just about toast so I'll try changing the save directory to flash later after it recharges and report back.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
OK, nope that doesn't work. I tried adding the ImageSequences folder in a couple different places and no dice. Tried in flash and the new folder seems to get instantly erased on reboot - even tried several different folders. Tried changing the save directory to the default "Dir A" folder on the storage card, no deal there either. No matter which way I tried, always the same result - two beeps and no photo sequence saved. Not sure why the new folder isn't persistent in flash memory.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:31:18 pm by eKretz »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
There are file system protections, so it can be normal - however, photos not saving to the SD card is really odd, because in all of my tests they worked.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Out of curiosity, did you try all the versions of E40? From what I understand there were a few different hardware versions. Also, could firmware version make a difference?

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
No, I wasn't able to get every version of every camera :P
It's odd though. You should have write privileges. Try storing directly into DCIM, a folder that already exists. Also try with trailing backslash and without.

Offline Nicosrap

Re: FLIR T440bx hacking - custom application for Ex/Exx/Txxx cameras, UltraMax
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2018, 07:31:47 pm »
http://subirimagen.me/uploads/20181004142641.25

Dear as I can update or install new firmware.
I'm from Chile, try to log in via FTP but the password goes wrong

Offline chili_red

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2018, 03:20:49 pm »
I recently acquired a B300, 45306-1600X1, SW version 9.4.5, Camera revision 01.
Any possibility your hack will work in that?

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 10:43:06 pm »
Any possibility your hack will work in that?

Nothing is stopping you from trying, it's non-destructive - but be aware that you need a reliable backup in case you get stuck on boot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf