Author Topic: PCMCIA Development Tools  (Read 3022 times)

Offline e_60Topic starter

• Contributor
PCMCIA Development Tools
« on: February 18, 2021, 04:49:15 am »
Anybody a past designer/developer of 16-Bit PCMCIA Cards?

I have been collecting little card testers, books etc but this stuff is so rare.    Especially the software for stuff that comes without discs.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: PCMCIA Development Tools
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:35:45 am »
Why are you doing that ?

Online srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:46 am »
Anybody a past designer/developer of 16-Bit PCMCIA Cards?

I have been collecting little card testers, books etc but this stuff is so rare.    Especially the software for stuff that comes without discs.
About 25 years ago I designed a custom PCMCIA card containing a speech synthesiser to allow blind people to use a laptop computer.

A difficult design challenge back in those days as we didn't have access to the super-miniature components that are so readily available these days. I only had 0805 or 1206 sizes SMD passive components available to use and I even had to squeeze a DIP package inside the card as one IC was not available in an SMD package.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Treehouseman

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:04:17 pm »
About 25 years ago I designed a custom PCMCIA card containing a speech synthesiser to allow blind people to use a laptop computer.

A difficult design challenge back in those days as we didn't have access to the super-miniature components that are so readily available these days. I only had 0805 or 1206 sizes SMD passive components available to use and I even had to squeeze a DIP package inside the card as one IC was not available in an SMD package.

Did this happen to be your card? Your description almost exactly fits this which I picked up off ebay a few years ago.

Online srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 07:53:56 pm »
Did this happen to be your card? Your description almost exactly fits this which I picked up off ebay a few years ago.
No, but is it quite similar.

My card also used a Xilinx FPGA (XC3030 as I recall) with a parallel EEPROM for the FPGA configuration memory. I also used a cut-out in the PCB to accommodate the DIP packaged IC.

Online dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 03:48:22 am »
I'm developing an interface for PCMCIA cards that operate in memory mode. I need to better undestand CIS memory space. Do you have any info to share about it?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 04:09:45 am »
I don't know, but I've seen scanlime doing some vintage debugging with some card, she must have some resources.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf