Author Topic: Is this job a hardware design job?  (Read 5809 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is this job a hardware design job?
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:58 pm »
Please see the following job ad....

*****************************************---*************************************8
Context
The company is responsible for designing and producing high-tech machines and machine modules. We are expanding our business, therefore we are looking for an Electronics Integrator.
Role/Responsibilities
In our high-tech machine development projects, you will be responsible for making electrical schematics, generating product documentation in EPLAN tooling and maintaining our component library, together with other engineers. Besides that, you play a central role in the eventual integration of prototypes and production models. You are the first point of contact for questions regarding integration, production, (field) service and technical support. In the projects, you work together with electronic architect, designers, suppliers, but also colleagues from other disciplines such as mechanics and mechatronics. Part of your daily work is to develop test strategies, test performance specifications (TPS), test plans and execute them with all the necessary tools, test set-up or equipment. Afterwards, you make the Test Analyses Reports (TAR) and discuss them with stakeholders, and set up proposals for redesign if needed. Furthermore you are responsible for:
Review Electronic design, specification and requirements of electronic modules and systems,
Maintaining installed base lines,
Documenting test analysis results,
Develop, improve and ensure way of working/ procedures.
Hands-on work including troubleshooting
You are/You have/You can
Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering
At least 3 years of experience within the electronic field (motion and machine control, amplifiers, EMC, serviceability) of control systems and components for high-end equipment and/or products, in multidisciplinary development teams
Experience with EPLAN P8 software is a pre.
Proven hands-on experience
Team player, analytical, pragmatic, creative and pro-active
Good communication skills and proficient in English and preferably in Dutch.
Ambition for a broad personal development in the technology field (Electronics but also mechanics, etc.) and the personal field. (Team leader, communicator, etc.)
Good in time management and setting priorities
*********************************************-----******************************************

.....I cant tell whether this is a hardware design job or a project manager job?
Do you know?

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Is this job a hardware design job?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 05:52:33 am »
It appears to be both hardware and liaison and some technical writing thrown in.

A sort of jack of all trades, guy Friday.  I think they are dreaming; very few people can do all of that.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:23:51 am »
Sounds high level, may not be much design work.  Enough work work for an engineer to do it, but all those reports and documentations may not keep a normal one sane.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 07:20:26 pm »
In any case, it appears to be a high stress job requiring many talents and probably unpaid overtime.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 07:22:46 pm »
A sort of jack of all trades, guy Friday.  I think they are dreaming; very few people can do all of that.
That's OK. They only need one.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 07:32:31 pm »
A lot of this depends on your attitude.

Is someone who designs and fabricates a thermal test chamber, specifying heaters and chillers, control circuitry and chamber insulation prior to buying components to those specs, assembles it, writes and integrates software and then verifies through test that the system meets needs doing hardware design?

Similar questions for those generating complex automated test equipment or CNC machines?

Is someone who lays out a variety of integrated circuits on a pwb along with appropriate glue logic doing hardware design?

Is someone who conceives, designs, does simulation on, generates masks and test patterns for an IC and then sends that off to a fab house for manufacture doing hardware design?

Is someone who listens to customer requests and selects subassemblies and integrates them to meet a customer need doing hardware design?

I have known people who perform to all of these job descriptions who felt strongly that they were doing hardware design.  And have also known people who left jobs like that so that they could go and do real design, whatever those people meant by that.

This job qualifies as hardware design in my opinion, but the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 07:52:18 pm »
Is someone who lays out a variety of integrated circuits on a pwb along with appropriate glue logic doing hardware design?
..thanks..i believe this depends on whether or not they designed the schem with all that glue logic and ICs....if they did, then they did design it  IMHO....if they did not, then they did not design it IMHO. Although i suppose you could call them a PCB layout designer.

For me, if there is some creativity and choice of options based on technical facts, then its design i believe....

I read the job spec of the top post , and thought that this might well be a pure  "clipboard pusher" job...someone who just goes up to designers every day or so and asks..."have you finished the such and such yet"....ie not design work at all.....pure box ticking.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 10:20:08 pm »
..thanks..i believe this depends on whether or not they designed the schem with all that glue logic and ICs....if they did, then they did design it  IMHO....if they did not, then they did not design it IMHO. Although i suppose you could call them a PCB layout designer.

For me, if there is some creativity and choice of options based on technical facts, then its design i believe....

I read the job spec of the top post , and thought that this might well be a pure  "clipboard pusher" job...someone who just goes up to designers every day or so and asks..."have you finished the such and such yet"....ie not design work at all.....pure box ticking.

You could be right.  But it would also describe the TE designers in a large organization who often have more design freedom than those designing product.  The only way to truly tell is to take the job, though an interview should tell a lot more than the posting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf