Author Topic: Practical Electronics for Inventors, 3rd  (Read 113264 times)

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Practical Electronics for Inventors, 3rd
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »
More precisely,
this is an illustration of what I  said concerning the tangent at the origine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:10:25 pm by JacquesBBB »

Offline sbugnon

« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »
Hi. Just got that book. Love it ! And many thanks for your invaluable efforts putting together errata. I maybe have an unseen one yet - although am not sure I´ve gone through all the errata. So, while visiting chapter 2, a minor error showed up on top of p.19. Fig. 2.15, legend of copper nucleus pic: it reads ´Strong force (exchange of ions)´ while it should read ´Strong force (exchange of gluons)´. Cheers.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »
Hi. Just got that book. Love it ! And many thanks for your invaluable efforts putting together errata. I maybe have an unseen one yet - although am not sure I´ve gone through all the errata. So, while visiting chapter 2, a minor error showed up on top of p.19. Fig. 2.15, legend of copper nucleus pic: it reads ´Strong force (exchange of ions)´ while it should read ´Strong force (exchange of gluons)´. Cheers.

Thanks sbugnon!

As you said, that's an unseen yet error! I'll add it to the errata when I start working on it again.

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
All the sine curve have infinite slope at k \pi, with the slope precisely
drawn as a vertical line.
In elementary (high) school, one learn that the derivative of sin(x)
is cos(x), so the derivative at 0 (and at all  k \pi) is  cos(0)=1.

I see these wrong sine curves everywhere - strangely enough too many textbooks show sine curves as some aligned half-circles or similar misshaped curves. I wonder why - it is not difficult to even hand-draw a nice and correct sine curve if you start with a diagonal line at the zero-crossings.

Nowadays it cannot be too complicated to let the layout software itself draw a perfect sine curve - if the author is unable to provide a better version...

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:54 am »
Hello Tom.

Thanks and sorry for my late reply.

Is the publisher/author friendly to the exoanded errata? I would prefer to buy a newer edition with all the fixes. I'm at zero money again so I would need to wait a few months before able to buy it again.

So the book doesn't teach the required math. Can I live without the advanced maths? I want to learn the basics, master them and learn enough background to do my own designs. I was going to study a computing programming course but finally only was able to enter at an electronics course. I don't regret at all, despite back to studies is getting very messy, I always loved to make circuits since childhood and it seemed like magic to me (I owned an electronics.kit for children too).

Best regards.

Hello.

I was going to buy an electronics book that is enough complete but easy to approach for a complete beginner that lacks mathematics background, plus focused on learning by practicing. But the errors made me scary, because I don't want to get messed with errors.

Any news in your errata finding effort? Any news from the publisher?
Hi Circuiteromalaguito,

In spite of the errors, I think this is a good reference book. However, if you have no clue about electronics, perhaps a more basic text would be more appropriate for the time being. That said, although this book will use calculus to initially explain many concepts, you can generally ignore the high math and just use the much simpler formulas derived from it for your electronics tinkering. Simpler texts may only offer the reader the basic formulas without mentioning the high math that was used to obtain them, this book gives you the chance to explore the subject to the depth you are comfortable with.

As far as the errata, the effort is temporarily in a hiatus due to some other more pressing work. However, I think most of the more egregious errors are covered in what we got so far in the unofficial errata and in socratidion's compilation. I do plan to continue working on it in the near future. So the plan is to update the unofficial errata using socratidion's compilation and any other submissions by members of this forum.

Offline Trey

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:23 pm »
I am disappointed with the qualify of PEfI, 3rd and think there are too many errors. Some are inexcusable, particularly for the 3rd edition. If you have a local library, check for electronics books -- mine has AoE 2nd edition and others. Or find a used copy of a better book.
A problem well-understood is a problem half-solved.
The most important tool in your toolbox is your brain.
KC3BSY

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2015, 04:00:37 am »
Hello Tom.

Is the publisher/author friendly to the exoanded errata? I would prefer to buy a newer edition with all the fixes. I'm at zero money again so I would need to wait a few months before able to buy it again.

So the book doesn't teach the required math. Can I live without the advanced maths? I want to learn the basics, master them and learn enough background to do my own designs. I was going to study a computing programming course but finally only was able to enter at an electronics course. I don't regret at all, despite back to studies is getting very messy, I always loved to make circuits since childhood and it seemed like magic to me (I owned an electronics.kit for children too).

Best regards.

Hi Circuiteromalaguito,

I'm not sure what the publisher/author plan to do concerning the errata discussed in this forum. However, when the 3rd edition was published, they made an effort to correct the errors reported in the errata compiled by Bucknell University. I hear rumors that a 4th edition is in the works, hopefully, at least the major errors reported here will be corrected. However, I have no official indication or confirmation that this will be the case.

There are many things you can do with just the basic formulas and without going into calculus, including designing many circuits. However, like everything else in life, the more you know ...!

If I were in you shoes, with limited funds, I would do what another member just suggested, check out the local public libraries. Try to find a book that matches your needs and expectations before investing on it. You are better equipped than anyone else to determine what's more suitable for you at this point in your career!

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2015, 06:25:44 am »
Hello.

Any news about erratas and a new fixed edition from the publisher?

Hello Tom.

Best regards.

Hi Circuiteromalaguito,

I'm not sure what the publisher/author plan to do concerning the errata discussed in this forum. However, when the 3rd edition was published, they made an effort to correct the errors reported in the errata compiled by Bucknell University. I hear rumors that a 4th edition is in the works, hopefully, at least the major errors reported here will be corrected. However, I have no official indication or confirmation that this will be the case.

There are many things you can do with just the basic formulas and without going into calculus, including designing many circuits. However, like everything else in life, the more you know ...!

If I were in you shoes, with limited funds, I would do what another member just suggested, check out the local public libraries. Try to find a book that matches your needs and expectations before investing on it. You are better equipped than anyone else to determine what's more suitable for you at this point in your career!

Local libraries for average people sucks here for technical book, but luckily I have 3rd party access to university libraries. I'll check it after I finish the course. These days in very stessed and struggling with my learning and organizational issues, I'm lost.

Thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:33:08 am by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2015, 03:42:46 pm »
Hello.

Any news about erratas and a new fixed edition from the publisher?

Local libraries for average people sucks here for technical book, but luckily I have 3rd party access to university libraries. I'll check it after I finish the course. These days in very stessed and struggling with my learning and organizational issues, I'm lost.

Thanks for your advice!

Hi,

Nothing new to report yet, but I still plan to continue with the project later on!

In the mean time, there is a new book out that you may want to consider, The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition/225/

I ordered a copy of it but haven't received it yet. So I can't tell you first hand what I think, but I know the 2nd edition was excellent!

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:05 pm »
FYI 

errata for the   2nd   edition  -->

[url=http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/physics/ph235/errata.pdf]http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/physics/ph235/errata.pdf
[/url]

seems to me to be a bit much

but ordered a 3rd edition because of the cost
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline socratidion

• Contributor
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:08 am »
Alas, I just bought a copy of Art of Electronics 2nd edition, last December. Sooner or later I will just have to cut my losses and get the 3rd edition, I suppose. Meanwhile, plenty to work on in the 2nd edition. I don't suppose the principles have changed... or have they? I can live with not knowing the most contemporary component numbers. For now.

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2015, 10:04:50 am »
Alas, I just bought a copy of Art of Electronics 2nd edition, last December. Sooner or later I will just have to cut my losses and get the 3rd edition, I suppose. Meanwhile, plenty to work on in the 2nd edition. I don't suppose the principles have changed... or have they? I can live with not knowing the most contemporary component numbers. For now.

Nothing wrong with reading the first 5 chapters of the 2nd edition. But instead of reading chapter 6 "Voltage Regulators and Power Circuits", you can download the corresponding chapter of the 3rd edition. The authors give it away as a free sample - you can find the link at the begin of my review:

http://www.wisewarthog.com/electronics/horowitz-hill-the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition.html

After you have read this, it is probably time to get the 3rd edition. In case you stick with the 2nd edition - don't fall in love too deeply with the 68000  ;)
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline baoblackcoal

« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2015, 03:24:29 pm »
This is my favorite all around :-+

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »

Nothing wrong with reading the first 5 chapters of the 2nd edition. But instead of reading chapter 6 "Voltage Regulators and Power Circuits", you can download the corresponding chapter of the 3rd edition. The authors give it away as a free sample - you can find the link at the begin of my review:

http://www.wisewarthog.com/electronics/horowitz-hill-the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition.html

After you have read this, it is probably time to get the 3rd edition. In case you stick with the 2nd edition - don't fall in love too deeply with the 68000  ;)
Why not? 68000, 6809, 6502 and Z80 are lovely CPUs.

Go retro! :D

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:46 pm »
I received my copy about a week ago, and so far what I've seen is very encouraging! Same style and approach as the 2nd edition, hard to believe it took 25 years to get here! There is also an official errata and submissions seem to be vetted by the authors! I think that's an splendid idea!

http://artofelectronics.net/errata/

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2015, 06:18:21 am »
I received my copy about a week ago, and so far what I've seen is very encouraging! Same style and approach as the 2nd edition, hard to believe it took 25 years to get here! There is also an official errata and submissions seem to be vetted by the authors! I think that's an splendid idea!

I wish Practical Electronics for inventors would have website like that and absimilar official  errata system. It think list would be huge, but can fix them on next prints.

Offline wobblycogs

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2015, 07:22:40 pm »
Is anyone still collecting errors for this book? If so I think I've spotted a couple that aren't current in the errata (and I've only got to page 10). Going by the printing numbers discussed earlier in this thread I've got print run five of the book.

Page 2 Diagram: Output Devices, Stopper should be Stepper

Page 8, Figure 2.3: Partially corrected, still reads 2 seconds in the lower note starting "Amount of charge..."

Page 10, Figure 2.5a: This one I'm not sure about. Although it doesn't say this diagram presumably depicts an alkaline cell. The "Cathode MnO2" label points to the outer can but I think it would be clearer if it pointed to what is marked as electrolyte (and the electrolyte label should probably be removed). As it is it implies the can is consumed as it was with Zinc-Carbon cells.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:54 am »
Are there news about a 4th edition? I think the errata list is big enough for it...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:27 pm »
Why do so many keep singing praises for a book that need a companion volume of errata? Just put the thing into the toilet and do a big sloppy #2 on it.

I am disappointed with the qualify of PEfI, 3rd and think there are too many errors. Some are inexcusable, particularly for the 3rd edition. If you have a local library, check for electronics books -- mine has AoE 2nd edition and others. Or find a used copy of a better book.

Having recently bought this book, before stumbling upon this thread, and I tend to agree. I don't understand the praise it's garnering. I chose it due to its high rating on Amazon, but having actually read it... I find it at times confusing, sometimes contradictory, often outdated (for example, half the time it correctly refers to 120V mains in North America, at others it refers to 117V mains, which hasn't been the nominal voltage for decades), but most of all, I don't really quite understand why some topics are started in one place, then finished in another. When I read it cover-to-cover, several times I found myself puzzled at encountering a topic again, with different information than in the first mention.

Is it full of useful information? Yes, no doubt. But the technical writer in me (I did that for a few years) thinks it needs a LOT of editing to become a truly good book.

I also think this book is just begging for a better binding than paperback. It's kinda crazy that this is paperback, yet the local electronics distributor (Distrelec) sends a free catalog that is hardcover, 2600 pages in full color!

Now, off to compare the errata to my copy. (7 8 9 0 QVS/QVS 10 9 8 7 6 5 for those who were wondering.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:44:27 pm by tooki »

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2015, 09:04:19 am »
Why do so many keep singing praises for a book that need a companion volume of errata? Just put the thing into the toilet and do a big sloppy #2 on it.

Having recently bought this book, before stumbling upon this thread, and I tend to agree. I don't understand the praise it's garnering. I chose it due to its high rating on Amazon, but having actually read it... I find it at times confusing, sometimes contradictory, often outdated (for example, half the time it correctly refers to 120V mains in North America, at others it refers to 117V mains, which hasn't been the nominal voltage for decades), but most of all, I don't really quite understand why some topics are started in one place, then finished in another. When I read it cover-to-cover, several times I found myself puzzled at encountering a topic again, with different information than in the first mention.

Is it full of useful information? Yes, no doubt. But the technical writer in me (I did that for a few years) thinks it needs a LOT of editing to become a truly good book.

I also think this book is just begging for a better binding than paperback. It's kinda crazy that this is paperback, yet the local electronics distributor (Distrelec) sends a free catalog that is hardcover, 2600 pages in full color!

Now, off to compare the errata to my copy. (7 8 9 0 QVS/QVS 10 9 8 7 6 5 for those who were wondering.)

Do you suggest an equivalent alternative?

Even the mythical AoE 3e still keeps receiving erratas. Fortunately, they are getting them documented officially:

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »
This post is too long.  But I just checked my new (got it last week) PEFI 3rd against this errata:

http://www.mhprofessional.com/downloads/products/0071771336/0071771336_scherzmonk_errata.pdf

I checked 5 corrections and they were corrected in my book, ie they are ok.

So the publisher is correcting the mistakes as the book is being printed.  ^-^  ie new 3rd edition books will have fewer errors than older 3rd edition books

Very impressive book for the money. 

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:09 am »
Do you suggest an equivalent alternative?
I'm looking!!!

For what it's worth, as an example of a book I think is much better written (but doesn't have similar scope) is "Understanding Solid-State Electronics, 3rd ed." written by Texas Instruments and sold by Radio Shack, of all places, long ago.

That said, if none of us can find a great book, maybe this is an opportunity for someone! I do not have the solid electronics background to do this, but I'm a great technical writer/editor if someone wants to collaborate! ;)

Even the mythical AoE 3e still keeps receiving erratas. Fortunately, they are getting them documented officially:
I've just ordered a copy of that, we shall see how it is!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:31 am »
I checked 5 corrections and they were corrected in my book, ie they are ok.

So the publisher is correcting the mistakes as the book is being printed.  ^-^  ie new 3rd edition books will have fewer errors than older 3rd edition books

Indeed, my copy also seems to contain those fixes. Can you list the printing number (the series of numbers from the copyright page, see above) so we can compare?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »

(7 8 9 0 QVS/QVS 10 9 8 7 6 5 )

If you are talking about this number

this is above the ISBN

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   RHR   20 19 18 17 16 15

also there is this number:

MHID    0-07-177133-6

Could the counting code be  QVS  to  RHR  (whatever that is)

hope this helps

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf