Author Topic: TLA7xxx hacks (32M Depth on TLA7AA4CS enabled successful) :)  (Read 46723 times)

Offline dxl

• Regular Contributor
Re: TLA7xxx hacks (32M Depth on TLA7AA4CS enabled successful) :)
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2014, 06:34:53 pm »
What does *IDN? tell you?

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2014, 06:50:32 pm »
Data type error; Unrecognized string data - i think youre missing the quotes around the password.

OK I'll try it with quotes. Just waiting for a reboot.

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »
Tried the 7AA4 with quotes and now no error! (Without quotes was error on the 7AA4). So good.

Now the 7N4-

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:23 pm »
The 7N4 is locked up. Going to have to pull it out and reseat it. Be a few more minutes to see if the password works.

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:06 pm »
OK!

That works on the TLA7N4.

So the correct line is-

SYST:PASS:INST:PASS "PitBull5.5.001"

I had tried quotes before, but without the capital B.

Now on to the other commands.

Offline dxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »
Nice :).

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:23 pm »
Nice :).

OK!!!!

Speed has been upgraded to 200mhz. But, not memory depth.

I wonder if that is the right command for setting the memory depth, because SYST:CONF:MAX:DEPTH? query returns the 4MB but in Powerflex the maximum memory depth is 64K and can be upgraded to 4MB.

Even before any modifications SYST:CONF:MAX:DEPTH? query returns 4194304 bytes

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
I think I found it.

Testing now.

The correct command is:

SYST:CONF:DEPTH 4194304

Checking it now...

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:01 pm »
:D :D :D :D

THAT'S IT!!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

TLA7N4 upgraded to 200mhz and 4M depth

Offline dxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »
Glad to hear that this finally worked. Sorry for all the trouble with the exact commands - it's been a while since i did that on my LA.

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 09:01:45 pm »
Glad to hear that this finally worked. Sorry for all the trouble with the exact commands - it's been a while since i did that on my LA.

Thanks again!

I'm sure a few others will be happy too. Having 4mb of depth instead of 64k is quite the improvement :D

I will write it up concisely on one page a little later.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
I guess it is a bad day for Tektronix. Some of these upgrades make a US $50000 difference in price  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:29 am »
Thank eevblog.com user "dxl" for all of this. Good on him! Thank Dave too for making this a fun, friendly, place to meet and share knowledge. Good on you Dave!

This procedure was tested with Tektronix TLA Software versions 5.1, 5.6, and 5.8 on a TLA714.

Modules tested were the TLA7N4 and partially the TLA7AA4 but it is expected that module will work OK with this software hack saving the effort of having to do the hardware hack. No additional software is necessary other than what is default installed by the Tektronix TLA Application software.

Please submit any errata and I will update this post to maintain the most recent and correct procedure.

Thanks to "TiN" and "nctnico" for all their input in this thread. Good on you guys as well.

I have done this procedure, and the instrument was powered down for several hours and still retains the upgrades so it is permanent.

Follow these steps exactly to reproduce my success:

1) Starup the TLA instrument and then connect to it locally or remotely.

2) Launch the TLA Application (this is important on remote connects only) and let it connect to your remote TLA.

3) Use Start menu on Windoze and goto TekVISA folder and select "OpenChoice Talker Listener". If you are doing this remotely, IT IS IMPORTANT you quit the TLA Application once the Openchoice Talker Listener shows your remote modules.

4) Under the upper-leftside pane "Instruments" you will see your various modules listed.

5) Select the module you want to upgrade, if not sure of the slot number just pick one for now.

6) On the upper right side you will see an entry field titled "Enter Command or Script" referred from now on as COMMAND.

7) Enter in the COMMAND field *IDN?

8. Click the "Query" button below the field and note the output in the lowest frame titled "Talker Listener Readout" referred from now on as OUTPUT.

9) Look for the firmware version in OUTPUT and make a verbatim note of it referred to from now on as <VERSION>. Also verify it is the module you want to update, if not, repeat step 5 above and pick the correct one.

10) You now know which module to update and what the firmware version is. You are ready to begin the upgrade.

11) Now you will want to figure out what the Max upgrade you can make. Either you know it already, or you will want to see what maximum your module supports. This document focuses on two things, maximum State acquisition speed, and maximum memory depth.

12) To determine your maximum State speed in Mhz issue this COMMAND then click "Query" and make note of it as <SPEED>:

SYST:CONF:MAX:SPEED?

13) To determine your maximum Memory depth in bytes issue this COMMAND then click "Query" and make note of it as <DEPTH>:

SYST:CONF:MAX:DEPTH?

14) Timestamp is required. For 6/29/2014 you can use 1404025200, if not create a new unix timestamp. Refer to it as <TIME>. Using the exact time may not be important.

15) Make sure the correct module is selected under "Instruments" and enter the following commands into the COMMAND field. After each line, press the Write button under the COMMAND field. An Example of all commands will be shown after all the lines. Note: do not include the < > just the value. Use quotation marks when shown. Commands are case sensitive.

SYST:PASS:INST:PASS "PitBull<VERSION>"
Set Parameters
Code: [Select]
SYST:CONF:DEPTH <DEPTH>
SYST:CONF:SPEED <SPEED>
Save Parameters:
SYST:PASS:INST:UPD <TIME>

WORKING EXAMPLE-

Set Parameters
SYST:CONF:SPEED 200
Save Parameters:
SYST:PASS:INST:UPD 1404025200

16) After commands are entered, you can exit OpenChoice Talker Listener and run the TLA Application and note your new upgrades :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:43:00 am by KK »

The following users thanked this post: jasonbrent

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 04:47:38 am »
Cool, thumbs up for dxl:-+

I will write it up concisely on one page a little later.

I'll have article as well on my site, will test this trick with my TLA714 and 7AA4 on weekend.  :-/O

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2015, 06:09:52 pm »
Quote from: KK on June 30, 2014, 01:04:29 PM>Quote
Thank eevblog user "dxl" for all of this. Good on him!

This procedure was tested with Tektronix TLA Software versions 5.1, 5.6, and 5.8 on a TLA714.
<<deletia>>
<<deletia>>
14) Timestamp is required. For 6/29/2014 you can use 1404025200, if not create a new unix timestamp. Refer to it as <TIME>. Using the exact time may not be important.

15) Make sure the correct module is selected under "Instruments" and enter the following commands into the COMMAND field. After each line, press the Write button under the COMMAND field. An Example of all commands will be shown after all the lines. Note: do not include the < > just the value. Use quotation marks when shown. Commands are case sensitive.

SYST:PASS:INST:PASS "PitBull<VERSION>"
Set Parameters
Code:
[Select]
SYST:CONF:DEPTH <DEPTH>
SYST:CONF:SPEED <SPEED>
Save Parameters:
SYST:PASS:INST:UPD <TIME>

Working Example  - (use your values instead, ie..fw, speed, & depth), click 'Write' after each line

Set Parameters
Save Parameters:

16) After commands are entered, you can exit OpenChoice Talker Listener and run the TLA Application, System Properties, Modules and note your new upgrades :D

dxl & kk,

I ran the above commands and sure enough, my TLA7AA4 morphed from a CS to an ES in the blink of a few writes!

Thanks

Just as an FYI...my system is a TLA704 hacked to run Win2k Pro, TLA App 5.1. I used kk's provided 'time-stamp' value.

:))

bench_knob

skupe: zeebra_xray

Offline Sailor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
@ bench_knob, KK, dxl, et al,

I'll give this a go on my TLA7AA s this weekend. One of them has max speed, but small depth, the other has max depth, low speed ::). However, I have one two question(s) about the procedure; where you have

Set Parameters
and
      Save Parameters

what is the [Select] parameter? Is it a drop-down box with pre-defined values, or ...???

When you entered 1404025200 as the timestamp, did you have the true (e.g. today's) date set on the TLA, or had you changed the TLA Windows date to, or near to, 6/29/2014?

Thanks,
Sailor

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »
Just as an FYI...my system is a TLA704 hacked to run Win2k Pro, TLA App 5.1. I used kk's provided 'time-stamp' value.

Yeah, I have this thread marked for when I can find some free time to do the same with one of my TLA704's (I have two).  I wasn't even aware it was possible to use the 7AA4 modules with it, before I read it here.   :-+  Very good stuff, and thanks to all.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 07:07:03 am »
As far as I can tell these lines in the lists of commands to sent to the analyzer module were originally intended to be comments on what the following commands were doing and are not actually intended to be sent as commands to the analyzer module:

Set Parameters

Save Parameters:

So the literal list of example commands to be sent to the analyzer module would be reduced to the following, where the firmware version in the password string, the sample depth, and the speed would have to match the analyzer module as appropriate:

I had success in getting these commands to work with a TLA7N4 analyzer module, but the settings did not persist across a power cycle. I believe this might be due to a dead battery in the DS1225AD NV-SRAM in the TLA7N4. I will have to try replacing the DS1225AD NV-SRAM and see if the settings then persist across a power cycle.

One other note, I wasn't able to figure out how to get TekVISA installed on my TLA714 running Windows 2000 SP4 and V4.4 of the analyzer application so I could send the commands to the TAL7N4 module from the TAL714 analyzer mainframe. Instead I installed the TLA7N4 analyzer module in another VXI mainframe with an NI VXI-1394 controller and installed NI-VXI 3.5.2 software on a Window XP system with a 1394 controller connected to the VXI-1394 controller. Then I used the NI-VXI 3.5.2 software to send the commands to the TLA7N4 analyzer module through the VXI-1394 controller. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get that configuration to work together but gave it a try and got it working.

Offline Sailor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:58 am »
... originally intended to be comments on what the following commands were doing and are not actually intended to be sent as commands to the analyzer module:
   Ummm ???  So, no selection list, ...?

I wasn't sure if I would be able to get that configuration to work together but gave it a try and got it working.

Congratulations, It sounds like an interesting journey :-+

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »
Ummm ???  So, no selection list, ...?

Correct. That text is just commenting on what the commands are doing are not actual commands to be sent to the analyzer module.

Here are the actual commands that I used to update a TLA7N4 with Option 3S  (100MHz State, 4M Depth) to Option 7S (200MHz State, 4M Depth). Unlike the first TLA7N4 module I tried this one appears to have a working NV-SRAM chip and the option update persists across power cycles.

(write) and (read) are not included the command and response text sent to and from the analyzer module. I used a unix timestamp of 1424217600 corresponding to 02/18/2015 @ 12:00am (UTC). I don't know if that timestamp is used for anything anywhere.

(write) *IDN?
(read)  TEKTRONIX,TLA7N4,B012xxx,SCPI:94.0 FVER:4.3.14
(write) SYST:CONF:MAX:SPEED?
(read)  200
(write) SYST:CONF:MAX:DEPTH?
(read)  4194304
(write) SYST:CONF:SPEED?
(read)  100
(write) SYST:CONF:DEPTH?
(read)  4194304

(write) SYST:PASS:INST:PASS "PitBull4.3.14"
(write) SYST:CONF:DEPTH 4194304
(write) SYST:CONF:SPEED 200
(write) SYST:PASS:INST:UPD 1424217600

(read)  200
(read)  4194304

Before and after analyzer properties shown in attached images.

The following users thanked this post: minatko

Offline Sailor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:51 pm »
Thanks gslick, I look forward to trying it.

Sailor

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 04:01:28 am »
For completeness, this also appears to work the same way with TLA7Lx and TLA7Mx analyzer modules, with the exception that with firmware version 3.2.1 that password is in all uppercase, i.e. "PITBULL3.2.1". And of course the maximum sample depth value choices are smaller.

Here are the actual commands that I used to update a TLA7M3 from 100MHz State to 200MHz State.

(write) and (read) are not included the command and response text sent to and from the analyzer module. The unix timestamp of 1424217600 corresponds to 02/18/2015 @ 12:00am (UTC).

(write) *IDN?
(read)  TEKTRONIX,TLA7M3,B010xxx,SCPI:94.0 FVER:3.2.1
(write) SYST:CONF:MAX:SPEED?
(read)  200
(write) SYST:CONF:MAX:DEPTH?
(read)  524288
(read)  100
(read)  524288

(write) SYST:PASS:INST:PASS "PITBULL3.2.1"
(write) SYST:CONF:DEPTH 524288
(write) SYST:CONF:SPEED 200
(write) SYST:PASS:INST:UPD 1424217600

(read)  200
(read)  524288

Before and after analyzer properties shown in attached images.

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
    • SETV
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:08 am »
Quote from: Sailor on February 16, 2015, 10:54:37 PMQuote>
@ bench_knob, KK, dxl, et al,

I'll give this a go on my TLA7AA s this weekend. One of them has max speed, but small depth, the other has max depth, low speed ::). However, I have one two question(s) about the procedure; where you have

Set Parameters
 and
       Save Parameters

what is the [Select] parameter? Is it a drop-down box with pre-defined values, or ...???

When you entered 1404025200 as the timestamp, did you have the true (e.g. today's) date set on the TLA, or had you changed the TLA Windows date to, or near to, 6/29/2014?

Thanks,
 Sailor
Hi Sailor,

Hi there GSlick,

I just copied the commands verbatim just as dxl & kk worked things out. The process did not error out. My TLA7AA4 CS upgraded to ES and the modules remember their settings through power-cycles. In other words, I copied and entered the lines exactly; its true, intuitively one considers that there is some type of 'list' expected, but no, just enter the commands verbatim and click the WRITE button.

Set Parameters<click WRITE>
       Code: [Select]<click WRITE>
 and
       Save Parameters<click WRITE>
       Code: [Select]<click WRITE>

Re; the 'time-stamp' data, yes, I just used kk's value, and no, I did not change the analyzer's CMOS time or the OS time.  I looked around for a way to generate a 'current' Unix Time-Stamp, but couldn't figure it out, so I just tried kk's TIME-STAMP value and it worked just fine.

Let us know how things go...

Cheers,

bench_knob

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
    • SETV
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 10:36:05 am »
Quote from: Mark_O on February 17, 2015, 01:31:48 AM>Quote from: bench_knob on February 14, 2015, 05:09:52 AM
>

Yeah, I have this thread marked for when I can find some free time to do the same with one of my TLA704's (I have two).  I wasn't even aware it was possible to use the 7AA4 modules with it, before I read it here.   :-+  Very good stuff, and thanks to all.

Hi MarkO,

The TLA704 hack takes a bit of work, and there is no direct pre-worked-out strategy for some of it.  One area is the LCD issue. To run Win2k requires a memory upgrade BIOS flash operation (one TLA-704 motherboard bricked and two others worked just fine), in addition to that, there is an additional BIOS hot-patch hack required (ROM image provided by Mr. Green) to be able to run the LCD at the minimum of 800x600 resolution required by Win2k. An external monitor can be used, but frankly doing so takes lot of bench space.  The native TLA704 LCD only runs 640x480 so it must be replaced with something. I very luckily found a new 10" NEC LCD, that was mechanically a virtual a drop-in replacement (only had to cut out a slot), and I had to fabricate a new interface PCB (Eagle 5.5) and find connectors for it, all were available only as SMDs. As I did not have any reliable strategy for cooking SMD parts, I hacked together an SMD oven (that's a whole 'nother story, one that I'll share should anyone care to hear it? I have complete plans that work well, uses a PIC uControler.) 

For me, upgrading my TLA704  was a multi-year adventure. Although I do have all the linkages, it'll still require some cutting, hacking, solder'n, copying, pasting...and sweating.  But frankly it was very rewarding and it works great when run remotely via EtherNet!!  I love it now and with the 32 Mb TLA7AA4, its hot! 

:))

bench_knob

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:59 pm »
Wow, that's lot of pain to go thru.
Would make up a great article about, how to get desire come true :D
I could host and provide storage for files endlessly for stuff like this
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf