Author Topic: RS Components new crappy webiste  (Read 9178 times)

Offline pcmadTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
RS Components new crappy webiste
« on: July 20, 2021, 02:37:01 am »
the  new website is crap

why is there a trend to  make  website look and feel like a consumer /retal feel and not for trade where we just want a simple website where we can do what we need to do order and have done with

pop ups

stupid animation

missing features

no custom items per page

the mass select for param filters gone i now have to click and WAIT 5 seconds to select values for voltage values etc

when selecting a param filters  item (left hand column) the page automatically scrolls up its soo annoying

website look and feel like for mobile phone only the desktop experience was not considered

does and one else have issues the there crappy new website

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, geekyoyd

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RS Components new crappy webiste
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 04:14:51 am »
Me three - it's yuk

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:29 am »
Another case of web designers gone wild. :palm:
website look and feel like for mobile phone only the desktop experience was not considered
I can't imagine many people would order electronic components from their mobile phones... :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:05:06 am »
Yeah it is utter turd.
Wrote to them. They don't care...

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 07:32:09 am »
How do I change language?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 07:57:33 am »
Not an improvement. The 'smooth scrolling' also sucks because now you have to wait longer for it to stop before you can read /select something from the list. Who comes up with this idiotic stuff?  :palm:  Next thing you know you get emails from them asking to rate your purchase (like Farnell is doing). 'Yes, these resistors are fine. They look tiny though in 0402 size and I don't like the color of the reel'.  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Refrigerator, tooki, gnavigator1007, geekyoyd

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:16:02 am »
God it's awful!!
Just tried going through the motions of selecting Mosfet parameters, every time you select one it goes off & refreshes the screen, SO SLOW.......
Reckon there IT people are barely out of nappies  :D

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:38 am »
God it's awful!!
Just tried going through the motions of selecting Mosfet parameters, every time you select one it goes off & refreshes the screen, SO SLOW.......
Reckon there IT people are barely out of nappies  :D

I thought I'd take a look at the same section. Look what it says at the top:
MOSFETs, also known as MOSFET transistors, stands for ’Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors’. MOSFETs are transistor devices which are controlled by a capacitor.

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki, fourtytwo42

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:29:44 am »
Yes, it's really bad. There's loads of white space and limiting the number of results per page to just 25, with no option to change it, is retarded. :palm:

The old website was batter. All they should have done was added the ability to only display results for stocked items. It's really annoying when the half of the search results are on stupidly long lead times. |O

It's a shame no one who posts here works for RS Components. They should get one of their sales people to sign up to forums like this, not to spam, but to keep up with what people think.

There is a feedback form on their website. I suggest eveyone gives it a severe trolling. :box:

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:07:17 am »
Just looked, it's pretty bad. I mean the old one was fairly poor but this is worse.

There's loads of white space and limiting the number of results per page to just 25, with no option to change it, is retarded. :palm:
Agreed  :(

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 12:34:18 pm »
Video amplifiers ICs are integrated circuits designed to process video signals. Amplifiers often referred to as amps, are semiconductor devices found in electronics circuits. They are designed to increase the power of electronic signals. Amplifiers essentially take the input signal and increase either the output voltage, current or power.

:-DD

Best Regards, Chris

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 01:06:34 pm »
Yep, I agree. It's utter crap. The old one wasn't great but workable - I could at least select multiple values in the search filters easily which is really all I cared about. I hadn't needed any components for a few weeks but when I went on the RS website to buy some today it wound me up so much that I just went to Mouser and found the components using their better search tools. I've preferred RS for years for various reasons but screw 'em, I ended up buying from Mouser as well.

It'd be nice if someone also vetted the filter options on these websites so you don't have, for example:
1 kΩ
1 k Ω
1k Ω
1kΩ
1000 Ω
1000Ω
etc

I appreciate that that's a massive task... Perhaps not, you've only got to edit the duplicates... Meh.

I think the only way that the RS website can now be made worse is if they go the full distance and remove the useful filters we're left with and only leave us with sort by price and "popularity". Wouldn't surprise me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:10:20 pm by mc172 »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 01:07:29 pm »
The RS website has always been various forms of terrible, always lagging years behind the competition.
It has slowly improved over the years in areas like parametric search, but literaly over a decade later than Farnell it still doesn't show stock in search results listing.

Can't say I've noticed much recently as it's usually the last place I look .
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 01:09:22 pm »

It's a shame no one who posts here works for RS Components. They should get one of their sales people to sign up to forums like this, not to spam, but to keep up with what people think.

wouldn't do any good. Over the years I must have spoken to over a dozen RS people to explain exactly what the issues are but nothing ever gets fixed
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 01:42:11 pm »
That means either their main source of revenue comes from elsewhere, or their web designers are too engrossed with how their redesign is so much better to care.

If it's the second case, taking your business elsewhere may give them a hint.

Online jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:02 pm »
The RS site keeps unlinking my company ID from my login, so I go to order and can't put it on the trade account and shipping is added.  I've had to re-link it half a dozen times in the last few months.  I did call them at one point, they were going to look into it but never called back.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 04:22:45 pm »
That means either their main source of revenue comes from elsewhere...
It could be that most of the high volume sales are from electronics manufacturers using the BOM upload tools.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 04:53:02 pm »
Another case of web designers gone wild. :palm:
I can't imagine many people would order electronic components from their mobile phones... :wtf:

It’s simple: they have their phone in their hand and need to order components. One not being able to imagine why another would do something another way, is irrelevant.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 08:53:20 pm »
See some silly light overlay and a spinner that flashes after every search.

Another one without the overlay:

The pages seem to load quick so they are not needed but cause me visual annoyance.

Code: [Select]
uk.rs-online.com##.Box-sc-1a4tiu7-0.Flex-ftxd62-0.terminal-node-containerstyled__AddToBasketSpinnerContainer-igw735-2.kZlMqQ
uk.rs-online.com##.Box-sc-1a4tiu7-0.Flex-ftxd62-0.terminal-node-containerstyled__TerminalNodeLoader-igw735-1.bNEDuX
uk.rs-online.com##.react-loading
##.react-loading
uk.rs-online.com##.Box-sc-1a4tiu7-0.kgbukH.loader

Actually just comparing with them hidden and I find they seem to slow down the page load but might just be an illusion.

There seems to be an issue in hiding the search suggestions which appears to be javascript enforced and it is not that alone there are many other types of suggestions appearing:

Code: [Select]
uk.rs-online.com##.Box-sc-1a4tiu7-0.PredictiveResults__PredictiveResultsContainer-vya3gm-1.eHMEPO
uk.rs-online.com##.Box-sc-1a4tiu7-0.SearchBar__RecentlySearchedContainer-okj0vs-4.iAlJxb
uk.rs-online.com###js-predictive-search
uk.rs-online.com##.predictive-search
uk.rs-online.com###js-search-history-list
uk.rs-online.com###js-search-hint
uk.rs-online.com##.search-hint
uk.rs-online.com##.search-history-title

I hide them and they hide but after page reload it seems to reappear and in different browsers

I don't like suggestions when I type they appear or swing out like that, get in the way of other stuff and distract me.

Ah all of a sudden seems to be working now on this occasion hiding the search suggestions, search history list, search hint, recently searched container, and predictive search.

I think I had this happen intermittently before to do with my blocklist maybe I should check it for rule mistypes.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 09:24:42 pm »
How do I change language?

Go back to school and learn a new one!  :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 09:35:13 pm »
Two things that really annoy me.

1) Now you can't select the number of items per page (you could on the old site), so you are forced to page back and forth if you want to pick a part from more than a very few (or the filters make it impossible to narrow down to less than several pages worth because of (2)).

2) They STILL haven't fixed their database. You have to guess the 2, 3, sometimes 7 ways, that they have entered some characteristic that should be ONE entry. If you are going to piss about with the thing surely you should fix the broken before then going on to make the new shitty shiny?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 12:19:52 am »
Sheesh.

I have used the RS parametric search before and, yeah, it had its issues, but I could usually find something for the job at hand.  Haven't looked for anything on RS for a while, but just now tried finding some capacitors.  Bloody painful and  next to useless.

They've slipped right down my list of suppliers to the point where Aliexpress is starting to look good.

.... You have to guess the 2, 3, sometimes 7 ways, that they have entered some characteristic that should be ONE entry. If you are going to piss about with the thing surely you should fix the broken before then going on to make the new shitty shiny?
That's an old complaint I've had as well.  A classic GIGO scenario that doesn't help the people who want to spend money.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:21:40 am by Brumby »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 05:37:12 am »
"RS Components new crappy webiste "

What is a "webiste"?  ;D

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 08:45:52 am »
"RS Components new crappy webiste "

What is a "webiste"?  ;D
Yes the OP cocked up. It should be webshite.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Refrigerator, m98

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:25 am »
RS components invoices are of the shite.

The website has manufacturers part numbers and a description. The invoice only states RS order codes and a descriptions which doesn't match the description on the website. It would be practical if they put the part numbers on the invoice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf