Author Topic: Affordable license?  (Read 19219 times)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Affordable license?
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2023, 01:41:55 pm »
It looked to me like they were repositioning into the high-end of CAD and expecting the increased cost to give more income than that lost through cheap users. But if they've now got a starter license perhaps they just think money grows on trees.

I think it's a response to KiCad.  v7 is not that far off Altium parity for a lot of designs.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2023, 05:11:52 pm »
A new Altum license just dropped:
US$2k/year for individuals and small startups.
I wonder if they will offer a reduced subscription for small companies that already have a perpetual licence.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2023, 09:04:09 pm »
I wonder if they will offer a reduced subscription for small companies that already have a perpetual licence.

I was offered an update to the current version for around $2K and I have a perpetual licence.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2023, 09:09:05 pm »
So was I last December, just in GBP.  I declined but made them an offer over 50% less as a take it or leave it, they accepted. As a very small company it wasn’t affordable otherwise. I was happy to let it lapse but as someone paid for some work I made them the offer.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, 2N3055

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2023, 03:48:42 pm »
https://www.altium.com/altium-designer/licensing/individual
As I understand, this is a subscription only license, not perpetual. So you lose access to all your designs once you stop paying. Which is kind of ridiculous as all your time investment into libraries and learning how to walk around AD's bugs minefield goes "puff". From my own experience, it took me about a full year to completely realign my workflow for AD, that inlcudes not only learning the tool and migrating libraries, but also upgrading all sorts of little tools I've developed over time to help with my project workflow.
But the price of perpetual license is now in the stratosphere as per their website (it says "starting at 17K CAD", which is about 12.6K USD), so I guess they are trying to force new users into that subscription "you keep paying while we hold all your designs hostage" nonsense. Or maybe they want new users to haggle better with sales reps - I got my perpetual license for just 3.5K USD in June 2020, in the thick of COVID, by basically calling them up holding a credit card in hand and saying - "I will buy a license RIGHT NOW if the price is right". Something tells me they will be willing to offer deep discounts off their list price, as many small biz shops and one-man-bands simply won't be able to afford it.

The following users thanked this post: Sal Ammoniac, voltsandjolts

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2023, 09:26:41 pm »
If I retire later this year, I can offer my Altium license with the subscription at a big discount if anyone is interested. Will swap for a Tesla ;D.

You're on. Here's a picture of the Tesla. Send me your postal address and I'll ship to you.

Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2023, 11:38:43 pm »
https://www.altium.com/altium-designer/licensing/individual
As I understand, this is a subscription only license, not perpetual. So you lose access to all your designs once you stop paying.

Yep, that's what they count on. They have learned their lession with perpetual licenses. Customers buy them and them don't upgrade for 5-10 years.
That sucks for regular income and sustaining the company share price.
And there is probably no guarantee that it'll still be $2k next year...

Offline nth_degreeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2023, 10:13:45 pm »
2k is a lot more reasonable. I may bite

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2023, 11:04:44 pm »
Yep, that's what they count on. They have learned their lession with perpetual licenses. Customers buy them and them don't upgrade for 5-10 years.
That sucks for regular income and sustaining the company share price.
Well as long as they keep update sub price reasonable I think many would keep paying. I know I do, because if I would ever need to renew my lapsed license I know I can't afford that. The only reason I do have the license is because I managed to get it at a very deep discount to begin with.

And there is probably no guarantee that it'll still be $2k next year...
Considering that their update sub price for perpetual license goes up every year, I'm pretty sure it won't be that long until it goes up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:24:16 pm by asmi »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2023, 11:11:31 pm »
2k is a lot more reasonable. I may bite
Update sub for perpetual license is about the same, so in your shoes I would gather up a bit more dosh, call them up and ask if they are willing to sell a perpetual license for say 4k, once you have that, you can still choose to extend your update sub annually, but at least you won't be locked out of all your work once you stop paying, so you can think of those extra 2K as insurance policy against that. Call them towards the end of month and make it clear that you are ready to close the deal RIGHT NOW if the price is right, and that whatever price you have in mind is all you can afford, and see if they agree. I think they will if they realize that they either get something out of you, or get nothing.

The only situation when I can see usage of sub-only licensing is if someone is only doing a contract work, and no designs outside of that. Then I can see why you might want to hop-on hop-off the license and won't really suffer from lapses because your design will be in hands of your customer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:41:42 pm by asmi »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2023, 07:07:14 pm »
In the end my sales rep managed to secure a 40% discount for me for extending my support sub, so it came to 1815 CAD (+13% tax, for a total of 2050.95 CAD). It shows once again that they are willing to give deep discounts if you ask for it and convince them that it will be objectively hard for you to afford a full price.

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2023, 07:10:00 am »
Is anyone paying Altium the normal price? :D

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2023, 06:49:12 am »
Is anyone paying Altium the normal price? :D

Only the people who pay whatever is asked for a new car.

Just saw the graduate offer - 12 months and some certification course for AU$135 then renews at AU$2625 for the following year.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2023, 08:18:22 am »
They are now targetting Eagle users:
https://www.altium.com/go-altium
But using the <$250k year entry level pricing.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2023, 03:27:01 pm »
LOL. This time they only offer sub-only license. Last time they offered a perpetual license for the same migration, and the price was almost the same. But since Eagle is sub-only I guess it's a fair game. Still I wouldn't go for such an offer.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2023, 09:55:51 pm »

hah, they are saying fusion360 costs $2,100 a year because they include the $1,600 signal integrity package. If you don't include that its only $500 per year, half of what Altium is offering (not saying its worth it, just typical marketing).

"An Individual License can be renewed for another year for USD 1,985. The promotional price of USD 995 will no longer be available after your initial purchase. Offer expires June 30, 2023."
Still, not a bad deal at all, as you probably don't need to prove you have a f360 license.

And looking at fusion360 analysis, it appears different, its a PCB level visual analysis of trace impedance. I don't think Altium does this?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2023, 10:26:39 pm »

hah, they are saying fusion360 costs $2,100 a year because they include the $1,600 signal integrity package. If you don't include that its only $500 per year, half of what Altium is offering (not saying its worth it, just typical marketing).

"An Individual License can be renewed for another year for USD 1,985. The promotional price of USD 995 will no longer be available after your initial purchase. Offer expires June 30, 2023."
Still, not a bad deal at all, as you probably don't need to prove you have a f360 license.

And looking at fusion360 analysis, it appears different, its a PCB level visual analysis of trace impedance. I don't think Altium does this?
AFAIK Altium can't do impedance viewing (or crosstalk). Last year I converted an Altium layout (made by a contractor) to Allegro just to check impedances & crosstalk. And that did turn up with some problem areas that needed to be fixed in the layout.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2023, 03:07:19 pm »
AFAIK Altium can't do impedance viewing (or crosstalk). Last year I converted an Altium layout (made by a contractor) to Allegro just to check impedances & crosstalk. And that did turn up with some problem areas that needed to be fixed in the layout.
Theoretically it does, but I'm yet to figure out how to set it up and get it to do what I want it to do.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2023, 05:31:04 pm »
Sure you're not thinking of the PDN analyzer addon?

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2023, 05:32:22 pm »
No I'm talking about SI simulation.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2023, 09:20:59 pm »
No I'm talking about SI simulation.

But there is no cool visual.

https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-designer/configuring-running-signal-integrity-analysis
https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-designer/interactively-routing-controlled-impedance-pcb

They are using some Simbeor plugin, but just a basic version. The full 3D field solver starts at $3,000/yr

Skip to 25:00 or so:
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2023, 10:02:58 pm »
That is not the topic. As a side note though: I've seen some results from Altium's PDN analysis for DC and that looks pretty good.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2023, 11:55:15 pm »
I gave it a try, and to me the colours were the wrong way around (red = OK, green = not so good) with no way to change them. OK, that's not that much of a biggie, but it's distracting and every time I opened it I'm thinking, "Eh, that's not what it looks like, wish I could change it."

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2023, 12:10:00 am »

Altium already has a big market share on the enterprise level.

There are dozens of free or cheap packages out there.
The trick is finding one that not only does what you need but one you find easy to use and is relatively bug free.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2023, 12:55:48 am »
They are using some Simbeor plugin, but just a basic version. The full 3D field solver starts at $3,000/yr
That's good stuff, I happen to know folks behind this sim.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf