Author Topic: The EEVblog is Hiring  (Read 46790 times)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: The EEVblog is Hiring
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:00 am »
The more I read replies here and think about it, my question is about what this potential employee would actually be doing.  I don't mean to sound like too much of a dickhead here, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a lot of real hardcore "engineering" going on in the EEVBlog lab.  Lots of teardowns, review/buy/sell gear, and some tutorial type stuff, but that falls pretty soundly in the middle of info-tainment.  Which is fine.  It's paying the bills, has attracted a pretty good size audience, and allows Dave to spend a bunch of time with his family.  Lots of people would love to be in that situation.  I'm not questioning Dave's engineering abilities.  He's obviously been in the industry long enough that his experience speaks for itself.  But at this point now as far as day to day hardcore designing and debugging circuit level type engineering?  Are there a boat load of secret projects no one knows about?

So what would an EEVBlog employee be doing?  It sounds like mostly info-tainment production level helper monkey type stuff.  Apart from access to a pretty well stocked lab equipment wise, I'm not sure how appealing this job really is to someone who wants to make a career of circuit level electronics design.  You only really learn this stuff by doing it every day, and there doesn't appear to be a lot of that going on in the EEVBlog lab now.  While having a senior engineer around while you are learning design is a really important part of speeding up the process, Dave has said that isn't what this job is about and doesn't want to spend all his time teaching his employee.  Which is also fine, but I'm just not seeing the "Dream Job" people are talking about.  A chill work environment with a cool boss and access to some nice gear?  Sure.  But as it looks now it's probably not going to give the design experience needed to launch a career as a hardcore design engineer.

Now maybe Dave has big plans to offload enough info-tainment stuff that he can get back into some more serious design work and make some designs which, based on his audience and uCurrent sales, people would probably buy like crazy.  That would be cool for him, for us as the audience, and for some potential employee who could ride along and learn stuff.  If that's the case then ya, killer.  Go for it.  But if we are talking about a career path entry level position like a recent EE grad or a student or something, you will be much better served working in a company that does day to day design work on products, no matter what the pay.

I could of course be way off base, but since we haven't heard about any EEVBlog road map with tons of new designs coming up, I can only assume it will be more reviews/teardowns/opening mail/rants/interviews/tutorials/info-tainment.  In other words, the stuff that's paying the bills so Dave doesn't have to work for the man himself.

n45048

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 10:16:00 am »
I believe what Dave is after is a minion.

Only kidding ;-) All the best to anyone who has applied!

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:46 am »
banana for scale?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2014, 11:39:52 am »

I thought is was for a 'Tool Time Girl'

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2014, 12:06:49 pm »

Dave already has that, and is happily married to her. He is no Al Bundy though.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »

Am I missing something, or did you mean "Al Borland?"   I'm probably missing something.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:53 pm »
Wrong show, try "Married with Children". Though he lacks both the ditzy daughter and the dog. He might have the neighbours though, and he definitely is not a shoe salesman.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2014, 03:18:40 pm »
Wrong show, try "Married with Children". Though he lacks both the ditzy daughter and the dog. He might have the neighbours though, and he definitely is not a shoe salesman.

I'm familiar with it, there's just a picture of Al Borland there, then you bring up Al Bundy.  I don't think Dave would drive a Dodge.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2014, 03:25:08 pm »
At least he is not ALF, though he does not do cats ( probably would like the musical though), and does drive a Toyota, where everything keeps falling off.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:09 pm »
Incidental to this is a chat with Steve Gibson about hiring.

http://twit.tv/show/padres-corner/19

Listen at about 45 minutes in for the interesting experience of Steve and hiring. Interesting to listen to the whole show though, with both Padre Ballacer and Steve in a god talk about life.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2015, 05:24:59 pm »

Al Bundy is now married to Gloria.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf