Author Topic: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)  (Read 73208 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2024, 09:15:25 am »
Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?
There are different views on this.
But I would say that a portable scope will still be useful even if you later have a benchtop scope.

Which one would you recommend?

Under $100 with 2 channels I would recommend the DSO2512G.
Above $100 you have to consider buying a benchtop model right away if you don't really need the portability (imo).
 
The following users thanked this post: BrokenYugo, Jack359

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31973
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2024, 09:21:03 am »
I just started my studies in mechatronics and wanted to buy nice private scope. Was looking at the new Siglent Sds804x hd and the Rigol alternative but since I read that they have still a lot of bugs to iron out, I'm thinking to start with less capable and cheaper portable scope first.
Ideally around 100 USD.
Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?
Which one would you recommend?
While the 800X HD series is newish, released end of Feb this year, it is entirely based on existing products that go back some 6 years, the SDS5000X series released in 2018:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/

Since then several more model series all based on the UI, touch and mouse capable GUI but of different BW's and physical sizes where SDS800X is the smallest with a 7" display but don't let that make you underestimate its capabilities, all of which are explored in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/

These are a DSO that can will serve you admirably for some years until your needs surpass their capabilities.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: Jack359

Offline Jack359

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: dk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2024, 09:56:13 am »
Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?
There are different views on this.
But I would say that a portable scope will still be useful even if you later have a benchtop scope.

Which one would you recommend?

Under $100 with 2 channels I would recommend the DSO2512G.
Above $100 you have to consider buying a benchtop model right away if you don't really need the portability (imo).


Thank you.
Within 150 USD category is Owon HDS242S the best I can get currently ?

 I can buy it from Europe while 2512G I can find only from Chinese sellers.
 

Online voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3793
  • Country: gb
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2024, 10:05:02 am »
This HDS2102S shows up as GBP 116.81 delivered to UK inc. taxes

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005300888993.html
 
The following users thanked this post: Jack359

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2024, 10:08:27 am »
Within 150 USD category is Owon HDS242S the best I can get currently ?
This is a scopemeter (scope + DMM). It's certainly not bad, but perhaps a bit dated.
If you don't need a portable scope or a scopemeter, I would save the money for a benchtop scope.

I can buy it from Europe while 2512G I can find only from Chinese sellers.
So what?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006885654959.html
 
The following users thanked this post: Jack359

Offline Jack359

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: dk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2024, 10:21:06 am »
Within 150 USD category is Owon HDS242S the best I can get currently ?
This is a scopemeter (scope + DMM). It's certainly not bad, but perhaps a bit dated.
If you don't need a portable scope or a scopemeter, I would save the money for a benchtop scope.

I can buy it from Europe while 2512G I can find only from Chinese sellers.
So what?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006885654959.html


I have never managed to get refund from aliexpress if I had warranty issues with my purchase. Thats why I prefer local European online shops.

Is 2512G better scope than HDS242S?  I see that it has higher bandwidth and video output (for which I don't have screen so it is irrelevant)  but aside that is it better in anything else ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 10:24:58 am by Jack359 »
 

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2024, 10:43:55 am »
I just started my studies in mechatronics and wanted to buy nice private scope. Was looking at the new Siglent Sds804x hd and the Rigol alternative but since I read that they have still a lot of bugs to iron out, I'm thinking to start with less capable and cheaper portable scope first.
Ideally around 150 USD.
Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?
Which one would you recommend?
The "bugs" the SDS804X has, these cheap scopes wish they had.  Trust me.  If you have the money for an SDS804X, don't waste it on a cheapie.
Bill
----
 
The following users thanked this post: awakephd, Jack359

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2024, 10:55:24 am »
I have never managed to get refund from aliexpress if I had warranty issues with my purchase. Thats why I prefer local European online shops.

I have complained twice and received a refund twice.


Is 2512G better scope than HDS242S? ...  but aside that is it better in anything else ?

Yes, it costs half the price and does the same thing.  ;)
If you have any special requirements, you need to mention them.

These small handhelds are no substitute for a benchtop scope.
Why not just take a cheap one and save the money for something else?

I'm not saying they're useless, but I wouldn't necessarily pay $150+ for one of these, unless you need one for “in the field” work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 11:11:15 am by Aldo22 »
 

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2024, 02:24:49 pm »
I have complained twice and received a refund twice.

I also have never had an insurmountable problem dealing with AliExpress or any of their vendors.
Bill
----
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2024, 02:40:19 pm »
I'm thinking to start with less capable and cheaper portable scope first.
Ideally around 150 USD.

Nah, simply not worth it. Not only are they much worse, they have no resale value.

The bugs aren't as bad as you hear. A recent Rigol update fixed basically all of them.

(it also introduced one really bad one but they're working on that right now. The next firmware will be here by the time you get one...)

Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?

At least 100x better.

And they won't break down or be a constant "work in progress".
 

Offline RAPo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1013
  • Country: nl
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2024, 03:07:19 pm »
Agreed. Get the portable ones for field work, treat yourself to a good bench scope, and ask Santa for a portable one.

I'm thinking to start with less capable and cheaper portable scope first.
Ideally around 150 USD.

Nah, simply not worth it. Not only are they much worse, they have no resale value.

The bugs aren't as bad as you hear. A recent Rigol update fixed basically all of them.

(it also introduced one really bad one but they're working on that right now. The next firmware will be here by the time you get one...)

Am I right to guess that these ones are still better than used old analogue scope at the same price range ?

At least 100x better.

And they won't break down or be a constant "work in progress".
 

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2024, 03:29:28 pm »
However, these small, cheap protable scopes also have advantages, which should be recognized.

- It is often easier to bring the scope to the DUT than vice versa.
- They run on battery power and require little power. In addition, there are no problems with GND.
- They start up immediately. Benchtop scopes take up to a minute or longer.
- They are noiseless
- They take up little space, are lightweight and can easily be stored in a drawer.
- The financial risk of damage is lower, depending on the price.
- etc..

That's why I said it's not a mistake to buy one of these, but they are no substitute for a benchtop scope (Not even a Hantek ;) ).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 03:32:55 pm by Aldo22 »
 
The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline Jack359

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: dk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2024, 05:04:02 pm »
Quote
Yes, it costs half the price and does the same thing.  ;)
If you have any special requirements, you need to mention them.

I don't have special requirements just curious in what DSO2512G scope is better than Owon HDS242S?
Only slightly higher real bandwidth ?
I can see that the Owon has a lot better waveform generator and RMS DMM plus bigger display.





« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 05:10:48 pm by Jack359 »
 

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2024, 05:16:01 pm »
I didn't claim that it was better.
I meant that the oscilloscope is roughly equivalent but costs half as much.
If the DMM or the signal generator of the Owon is important to you, then the Owon is better.

Forget the bandwidth, there is no significant difference.
 
The following users thanked this post: Jack359

Offline Jack359

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: dk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2024, 05:30:31 pm »
I didn't claim that it was better.
I meant that the oscilloscope is roughly equivalent but costs half as much.
If the DMM or the signal generator of the Owon is important to you, then the Owon is better.

Forget the bandwidth, there is no significant difference.

I have crappy 15 bucks DMM on me so the Owon's DMM will be nice to have and surely an upgrade.
Not sure about the signal generator but why not when it is only 20 bucks extra than the model without it and looks quite good for portable one. ???
Bigger 3.2 inch screen compared to the 2.4 inch in the DSO2512G also might be nice to have.
If the scopes are comparable, it is an easy choice for me.

I looked also at the newer DSO3D12 which also has DMM, signal generator (worse one) and 3.2 inch display.
Read that it doesn't have fuse on the 10A hole plus it seems that is a lot more buggy than the other 2 for now.
So I think I'm going for the HDS242S.

 

Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2024, 05:46:05 pm »
For me, having everything in one device is not an advantage.

If it has to be cheap, I would go for the DSO2512G and this DMM:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005007385246818.html
and this AWG:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005756976271.html
This AWG has two channels and max. 20Vpp as opposed to the meager 2.5Vpp of the Owon.

But if you want everything in one device, the Owon is certainly not bad.
 
The following users thanked this post: Jack359

Offline Jack359

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: dk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2024, 06:42:46 pm »
For me, having everything in one device is not an advantage.

If it has to be cheap, I would go for the DSO2512G and this DMM:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005007385246818.html
and this AWG:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005756976271.html
This AWG has two channels and max. 20Vpp as opposed to the meager 2.5Vpp of the Owon.

But if you want everything in one device, the Owon is certainly not bad.

I feel that you are 100% right. I will order all 3. Thank you!
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2024, 06:43:59 pm »
I quite like those "toy" oscilloscopes. I've got a couple to take with me in my toolcase. It's the ones in between those and the Rigols/Siglents that bother me, ie. the Owons and Hanteks.

FWIW I have the same aversion to multimeters between $40 and $100, eg. the UT61E.

But I digress...


I was just looking for one I saw a few weeks ago on Aliexpress that I quite liked the look of, this one here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007468578377.html




But then this came up in the suggestions, it looks like a brand new model:

2 channels, signal generator, touch screen...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006895686506.html



Don't these guys ever take a break?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 06:52:41 pm by Fungus »
 

Offline Atlan

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1049
  • Country: sk
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2024, 06:48:32 pm »
Fnirsi noooooooooooo
FNIRSI 1013D Always provide a picture or video with the problem where the parameters of the oscilloscope are visible, and a picture of the diagnostic screen with the values.
Firmware is here (or not) https://github.com/Atlan4/Fnirsi1013D/tree/main/Guide%20to%20firmware
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22, csuhi17

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2024, 06:50:56 pm »
Oh, the FNIRSI comes with a cute carry case, I'm sold!

 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline globoy

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 289
  • Country: us
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2024, 07:03:03 pm »
The FNIRSI even has a FUNCATION soft button!   :-DD
 
The following users thanked this post: Aldo22


Offline Aldo22

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2729
  • Country: ch
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2024, 07:19:56 pm »
The FNIRSI even has a FUNCATION soft button!   :-DD

Yes, that is a strong argument.
I've always dreamed of a Funcation Button.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 07:22:39 pm by Aldo22 »
 
The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Fungus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18111
  • Country: 00
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2024, 08:25:49 pm »
@Fungus: We know these already:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-dsodmm-zeeweii-dso3d12-claimed-120mhz250msps/msg4924738/#msg4924738
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-handheld-touch-dso-fnirsi-2c53p-claimed-50mhz250msps/msg5438681/#msg5438681

Probably, it's not something I look for every week.

So the FNIRSI is junk. Pretty, but junk.

The Zeeweii looks much better.

My $30 'scope is a Zeeweii (DSO154Pro) and it works very well. Only single channel though.

I've been thinking about a two channel upgrade but I'm in no particular hurry. I'd prefer something really small  because there's not much room in my case (the DSO154Pro is credit card size) and those DSO2512Gs look a bit chunky to me.

A 3-in-1 like the Zeeweii DSO3D12 might mean I could leave out the multimeter, or take along a small one. I don't need much of a multimeter at Arduino club.

Edit: Just reading the manual on the Zeeweii, it actually seems decent. It also has a good diode test voltage for testing LEDs - essential feature!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 08:54:30 pm by Fungus »
 

Offline tunk

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1409
  • Country: no
Re: Portable Oscilloscopes List (cheap)
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2024, 08:41:09 pm »
I've been thinking about a two channel upgrade but I'm in no particular hurry. I'd prefer something really small  because there's not much room in my case (the DSO154Pro is credit card size) and those DSO2512Gs look a bit chunky to me.
Maybe this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-$40-2ch-pocket-scope-2mhz50msps-(august-2023)/msg5144487/
 
The following users thanked this post: Fungus


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->