Author Topic: Angry at Free Energy YouTubers...  (Read 93841 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Angry at Free Energy YouTubers...
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:06 am »
I was looking for something and came across a YouTube channel with nearly 44 THOUSAND subscribers with videos like this:

|O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O
And then the comments... Some of the videos have more than a million views...

Welcome to the Internet!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:24 am »
disbelieving without proof is just as much as believing without proof... and if one is to say "i dont have any religion", he doesnt understand what "religion" is, that simple. so what do you have to say? i need a "capacitator" i disbelieve with proof! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56MiB4CFWY&feature=youtu.be

I don't fully understand what you mean.

You never will.
Mechatrommer is our resident fruitloop.
His tagline link says it all.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:15 am »

"Be excellent to each other. That means no personal attacks."

David L. Jones, EEVBLOG forum rules.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 05:01:40 am »
Many of the comments are clearly from slightly less than rational people, but what significance do you see in a million views? You are now one of the million viewers. Lots of sane well educated people are among the million viewers. Its like the problems caused on a motorway when there's a crash on the other side. Everyone just has to take a look at the wreckage.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2015, 05:08:04 am »
I think it was Carl Sagan who said something in the line of "extraordinary claims require equally extraordinary demonstrations".
The quote is "extraordinary claims require equally extraordinary evidence". Penn and Teller can give you an extraordinary demonstration, but that's not evidence.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:22 am »

Hardly personal attack.
Fruitloopery:The use of scientific language inappropriately and without comprehension in order to increase believability of a concept.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 05:13:04 am »

The burden of proof is with the person making the claim. Furthermore, what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Science is not a belief system, nor an opinion, nor a matter of taste or preference. It is our most committed and successful way of understanding the real world and its wonderful inner workings beyond the limitations of our senses, prejudices and tendencies to self delusion.

Yes, this. A thousand times this.

It's fine to believe or have faith in a non-physical world, or even to believe there are properties of the physical world that we have not yet learned how to measure or detect, but do not mix this up with science. It is not.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:14:51 am by mtdoc »

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 05:13:50 am »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 05:17:13 am »
Many of the comments are clearly from slightly less than rational people, but what significance do you see in a million views? You are now one of the million viewers. Lots of sane well educated people are among the million viewers. Its like the problems caused on a motorway when there's a crash on the other side. Everyone just has to take a look at the wreckage.
I should have clarified. it is the combination of views and thumbs-ups that concerns me the most.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 05:20:47 am »
Don't worry, they'll all continue to pay for electricity and phones and computers and gadgets and all the working innovations the "real science" people create :)

It is frustrating to see this because I feel like there is a "wave" of pseudoscience masquerading as real science.
G. K. Chesterton famously said that "When people lose their belief in God, it is not true that they believe in nothing, but rather that they believe in anything.". That's not really true for all of us, but it seems to be a trend in largely atheistic Europe. Pseudoscience seems to be popping up all over the place, especially in medicine.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 05:26:31 am »

It's a demonstrably true statement, and kind of a term of endearment in a way, he grows on you.
There is a long history on the forum of people who can't understand arguments that Mechatrommer makes!
Quite fruitloopery.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:18 am »
I should have clarified. it is the combination of views and thumbs-ups that concerns me the most.

And that is just the tip of it.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 05:32:42 am »
G. K. Chesterton famously said that "When people lose their belief in God, it is not true that they believe in nothing, but rather that they believe in anything.". That's not really true for all of us, but it seems to be a trend in largely atheistic Europe. Pseudoscience seems to be popping up all over the place, especially in medicine.

What a silly quote - he should have said  "When people lose their belief in God, it is not true that they believe in nothing, but rather they free themselves to believe in anything that is equally as fanciful".

Snake oil has nothing to do with loss of religion... desperate people are easy picking for quackery and voodoo.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 05:37:11 am »
What a silly quote - he should have said  "When people lose their belief in God, it is not true that they believe in nothing, but rather they free themselves to believe in anything that is equally as fanciful".

Snake oil has nothing to do with loss of religion... desperate people are easy picking for quackery and voodoo.
Its not a silly quote at all. His observation was that a belief in one religion keeps people's minds focused on what that religion says is true and false. When that's taken away many minds wander to a whole slew of fanciful ideas. Often mutually contradictory ones.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 05:37:49 am »
I look at this from time to time just to make sure there is some sanity out there.

https://www.metabunk.org/

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 05:48:49 am »
Well I have free energy and I watch utube sometimes I did not get my free energy idea from there, I got it from the county fair. 8 years ago.
3 kw of solar power, I hit my pay back this year. sooooo free energy!
If we did not use Mr. Tesla's grand inventions I would not have free energy. so draw your own conclusion.
bill
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:57:56 am by bills »
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 05:54:36 am »
Well I have free energy and I watch utube sometimes I did not get my free energy idea from there, I got it from the county fair. 8 years ago.
3 kw of solar power, I hit my pay back this year. sooooo free energy!
bill

Your stealin' that power from the sun dang it.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:46 am »
Yes!
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 05:59:00 am »
I don't have faith in science, I don't believe in science. I accept that it is the best system our species has come up with to advance our understanding of the real world. I accept evidence which describe facts. I accept nothing without proper evidence.
respectfully, it is you that playing with word i think. by definition....
Faith is defined as belief, confidence or trust in a person, object, religion, idea or view despite the absence of proof.
i call that (and maybe we accepted it as) "blind faith" to be precise, and thats stupid... maybe we have misunderstanding here as english is not my first language, but i dont know what to describe what i'm trying to say, maybe its called "motivation", motivation is what drives us. or maybe a saying "i accepted that.." can be the same meaning as "i believe that as a truth of thing" - just because "i've seen it" or "experienced the proof or truth" of it.

and there is no point of being offended no matter how people attack you. i/we should accept it as they just dont know it yet.... we feel sorry and we care, thats why we keep helping each other... regardless of what will come back at you ;) and frankly laymen speaking, i dont really understand what "fruitloop" is. hurt my brain try to translate it programmatically. you should read some aristotle or descartes book/writing, will hurt your brain i bet, i dont blame it, thats how we got educated to interact with our tangible surrounding world.

saying "i dont believe its true" and saying "i believe its not true" can be 2 different syntaxes of the same semantics, so does "i accepted" or "i do not accepted" i think... fwiw.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:05:18 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:39 am »
I would take being called a fruitloop a complement in this context ( meaning thinking out side the box)
bill

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2015, 06:11:26 am »
deleted.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »
If we accept only what we have sufficient evidence for,  then is fine. If we "belive" anything without sufficient evidene then we are doing ourselves a disservice.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2015, 12:24:45 pm »

Most have faith in money, which is as good as any other religion. If you have a look at the financial systems you'll understand. The gold standard is long gone. Pseudoscience isn't anything new. Today it's free energy and demonising vaccines, yesterday it was esoterism and the day before it was necromancy. I think pseudoscience is halfway between religion and science, i.e. when getting the idea that there's no god, but still needing someone or something to blame for pain or giving comfort while not yet fully accepting the 'cold' science.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »
Science is not a belief system, nor an opinion, nor a matter of taste or preference. It is our most committed and successful way of understanding the real world and its wonderful inner workings beyond the limitations of our senses, prejudices and tendencies to self delusion.

So you say that your view of reality is the correct one. That's a first.  ;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf