Author Topic: [Job - Nottingham UK] Hardware & Software Design Engineer - £40K  (Read 9153 times)

Offline veryevilTopic starter

• Supporter
Hey, the company I work for are currently recruiting for an electronic engineer to join the R&D department to work along side myself.

The role is product design from concept to production. It includes:

• Requirements Capture
  • Electronics Design
  • Firmware Design
  • Prototyping
  • Debugging
  • Design Approvals
  • EMC, RTTE,LVD etc...
  • Production Test

Required Skills
  • Electronics Hardware Design
  • PCB and Schematic Capture
  • EMC
  • Embedded Microcontroller design in C
  • Degree Qualified in Electronics (2:1 minimum ideally)

Desirable Skills
  • Low Power Design
  • Radio Communications
  • SMPS
  • Notified Body Approvals experience
  • Experience with Altium

The company is only small with 45 employees with an R&D team of 5 currently. The company is very profitable and has seen consistent growth in the last 5 years. Work is all based around internal products and there is currently a 4 year road map of new products to be brought to production.

If you are interested please drop me a PM and we can discuss it more.

Thanks Steven
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:52:30 pm by veryevil »

• Supporter
Re: [Job - Nottingham UK] Hardware & Software Design Engineer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »
Salary is up to £40K based on experience.

• Supporter
Re: [Job - Nottingham UK] Hardware & Software Design Engineer - £40K
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:43:26 pm »
Glad we aren't asking to much. I've seen a lot of these threads go down in flames.

You looking for a change?  ;D

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »
I have to ask, and I know it'd been ranted to death about, but does a degree qualification really matter?
I would have thought that industry experience would have been better OR a graduate?

And congratulations for not getting flamed! Seems to be a real achievement of late!  ;D

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:29:25 am »
I guess it never hurts to apply. They never ever asked me to show my diplomas during a job interview or later on. If you manage to make a good impression it seems it doesn't matter whether you have a degree or not  ;D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 01:56:59 am »
Oh, I wasn't planning on applying :) I live in the south west UK so bit far to travel lol, I just wondered the reasoning behind specifying degree level, or would it be better read as 'n' years experience OR degree level etc.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:16 am »
Shame it isn't near Leeds, it looks a nice diverse and interesting job, if a bit low on salary. Oddly enough I got 2 jobs in Nottingham in my in-box today- its rare anything outside the M62 corridor gets sent this way. From what you say, it isn't the same place though:

FPGA Design Engineer (with experience of C programming for Microcontrollers)
and
Embedded Software Design Engineer (with experience of VHDL programming for FPGA’s)

"Both roles are fully hands on research, design, development and test for electronics/embedded systems used in the company core product line whilst reporting to the Engineering Manager.

These positions have developed due to expansions and offer the chance to get involved in every aspect of the product life cycle. The is a multi-award winning company part of a USA Fortune 250 Company which offers a lot of stability. Salary sign-off is between £40,000 - £50,000 plus benefits, long-term job stability at a company that promotes career and skill development. "

It does rather indicate that <£40K probably isn't enough. As an aside, I would rather see an actual figure. "Up to" generally means "whatever we can get away with, hopefully paying a £50K grade engineer £25K".

Having a 2.2 and no track record because I have been self employed (not a contractor) for so long, experience has taught me that I just get filtered out at the first stage, no matter what my application says. I happen to be a bloody good engineer with a huge amount of experience, but hey ho, that's employment agencies for you.

However! It is great to see companies advertising directly, rather than via agencies. Hopefully you will get to see  some real talent, not just the bland sanitised suit wearers beloved of the employment agencies. I certainly hope part of the process will involve a chat with the other engineers, "we" can generally spot someone who isn't "one of us" within the first 30 seconds, often without even asking a technical question. I think one of the best interviews I ever had consisted of chatting about amateur radio for 5 minutes then cars, planes, engines and beer for an hour. We understood more about each other that way than any amount of questionnaires could elicit.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
Hi, its definitely not one of those. We don't do any FPGA work.

The interview is with the technical director (my boss) and I come in for a bit.

My boss is an electronic engineer and knows his stuff.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:28:58 am »
You pay the extra for the FPGA side of things, so £40-£50k would probably be about right for the other one, but £40k is probably the better ballpark for the advertised one.

I absolutely hate employment agencies!  They are basically sales people who are obnoxious and arrogant most of the time, you may get your odd one or two who are decent, but i've yet to meet them (on either end of their offerings).

They try and push the positions they get the most comission on and they try and push the crap that nobody else wants onto you.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 05:50:11 am »
yeah agencies do suck. They are money grabbing and persistent. I wish there was an actual directory for engineering companies to list there positions on but I havent found one.

Was hoping here I'd find people enthused about electronics like me

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »
Not had much interest on this post. It is just the location that's holding people back? not many engineers in the Midlands? Or is the the degree qualification requirement?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:48 pm »
Not had much interest on this post. It is just the location that's holding people back? not many engineers in the Midlands? Or is the the degree qualification requirement?

Well, you could always relax the requirements until you hire somebody you don't want :)

Without evidence, I would suspect that too few people are reading this forum in the hope/expectation of finding a job. The advert itself seems perfectly respectable to me.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »
I'll take a guess that there just aren't that many people with the right skillset in the right area looking for work on here.

Put the same ad on jobserve and I'll guess you'll get much more interest.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:33 pm »
Job description sounds good to me.

I don't know how many engineers are in the area though, quite a few repair places in the Midlands, but not sure if there is much design skill.

Is it something that you could subcontract out at all or is it just a case that you are looking generally for a new employee?

One thing you could do is scout around for pending closures in the area / surrounding areas see if any of those want to join you?  Bit of a longshot I know.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »
Job description looks great. Salary ... I don't know what that region costs economically, but i think it's a bit low...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »
Job description looks great. Salary ... I don't know what that region costs economically, but i think it's a bit low...

The salary is ok, £600 a month will rent a reasonable three bedroom house there

Offline old gregg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:05 pm »
could be great to have the company's name and main focus. Could allow one to see if he can fit in.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:46:06 pm by old gregg »

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
The job looks very interesting and I find myself unexpectedly looking for one (management have decided software is more profitable   |O ). Unfortunately it's the location which puts me off - I'm really interested in Southampton and the surrounding area.

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 12:17:05 pm »
The jobs are now filled for the moment. If we have any more spaces I'll put another add up.

Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 05:23:09 pm »
Degrees don't get engineers. I sit in an office full of air con engineers that can't work out and adapt to the problems of our air con system (granted not made by us) the concept of sytem and feedback is totally lacking.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf