General > Jobs

Can a Hobby Become a Business?

<< < (4/8) > >>

josuah:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on November 16, 2022, 07:35:52 pm ---Work is not play.

--- End quote ---

This reminds me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_work_and_no_play_makes_Jack_a_dull_boy

Kujo:
Hi,

Bit late to this one but speaking from personal experience if you are going to have a crack at it go 100%.

I kept letting my paid job stop me being able to really build the brand and so my electronics hobby never got beyond hobby.

Can be done for sure but commit.

Kujo

nigelwright7557:
I used to build amplifier as as hobby.
I decided to sell a few on ebay and it did ok.
Then the Chinese cheapo suppliers hit ebay and it all went wrong.
So  I stopped.

I got into PCB design software and sold a few copies then some kind gentlemen started pretty much giving his away on ebay and that ended that.

I decided to get away from pure software projects and got into model railway software and electronics.
Did ok but too many other people doing it to make much money.

I am semi retired no0w and continue with the model railway stuff but only part time.

The good thing about being employed is the regular income which is above or equal to minimum wage.
Working for myself I make nothing one day then maybe a little the next which is often well under minimum wage per hour.

Working for myself doesnt mean I am my own boss as the customers become my boss making demands.
Working for someone else I found I had to tolerate other workers, some of whom had hidden agenda's

Smokey:

--- Quote from: karpouzi9 on February 07, 2023, 09:32:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: Smokey on November 15, 2022, 04:06:25 am ---If turning your hobbies into a business is something you think sounds attractive, then something you should seriously consider doing is ...

... start approaching your hobbies as if they were already businesses. 

Always design as if you are going to make 10,000+ of the thing. (ie, only use parts you can actually buy in distribution, DFM, cost your BOM, etc).

Worst case is it takes a little longer to finish.  Making more than 1 of something in production is a shock that ruins many would be companies who failed to plan for that.  (just look at kickstarter for this carnage)

--- End quote ---

This is a terrible way to make art, if anyone was wondering.

--- End quote ---

art?  ....  what?!?

I'm not sure if you know where you are, but this is an electrical engineering forum.  I'm fairly confident the OP wasn't talking about trying to sell sculptures made of soldered together resistors in the form of little army men or something..

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: josuah on November 18, 2022, 03:38:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on November 16, 2022, 07:35:52 pm ---Work is not play.

--- End quote ---

This reminds me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_work_and_no_play_makes_Jack_a_dull_boy

--- End quote ---

All work on "Noh play" made Zeami Motokiyo a dull boy! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version