Author Topic: Do employers have a right to discriminate against color-blindness?  (Read 43663 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Do employers have a right to discriminate against color-blindness?
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:59 am »
That's also not how evolution works. Evolution is driven by individuals who are successful at breeding, that has little to do with their overall benefit to society or qualities as an individual. Sociopaths in particular tend to be capable of being very charming and can be quite successful at breeding. They may not make great parents but that doesn't matter from an evolutionary standpoint.
Breeding is more than just getting females pregnant. There have to be actual offspring, born and raised safe and healthy, so they can eventually breed. Being good parents is generally pretty important from an evolutionary standpoint, although there are numerous species which sidestep this in various ways - e.g. cuckoos getting some other nurturing suckers to do the hard work.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:31 am »
Breeding is more than just getting females pregnant. There have to be actual offspring, born and raised safe and healthy, so they can eventually breed. Being good parents is generally pretty important from an evolutionary standpoint, although there are numerous species which sidestep this in various ways - e.g. cuckoos getting some other nurturing suckers to do the hard work.

Visit some low income areas in the midwest and southern US and that may change your mind. Areas with the highest teen pregnancy rates in the nation, people who are grandparents in their 30s, it really doesn't seem to take a whole lot of effort to raise offspring to potential breeding age.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 01:03:27 am »
There are also people who have NPD who are sort of borderline and who mean well, sort of.

But the problem is, they will always be at sort of a six year old's emotional level and they don't know right from wrong.

Unfortunately all of our political figures seem to have this illness.

With almost no exceptions.

I'm not sure if one can conclusively say that these things create the disorder when it's entirely possible that it works the other way around and is genetic. Sociopaths tend to be the ones who make it into positions of power and influence which often leads to wealth. If it's genetic then their kids are more likely to have the condition as well. There are plenty of people neglected as children who did not become sociopaths.

Its not genetic, the ability to empathize with others has something to do with early childhood environment.

Even if Mommy or Daddy is really busy and stressed, if their parent is there for them in some certain way people grow up okay.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 01:04:26 am »
James, I'm sorry but blueskull is right. In the final analysis, nothing in the world is going to keep somebody employed if their employer doesn't want them there.

Everybody has to stand on their own merits. Sure, jobs are going away, so that means that millions of people are not going to have jobs in a few years and the sooner we face that reality the better.

They wont have health insurance either.  They may not have anywhere to live, either because their homes will be snapped up by investors who wont even live in them.

This is why education is so important.

Of course that's true, but it's certainly not sensible to go around outright saying that you plan to ignore the law. The fact that employers do these things doesn't make it right, nor does it mean employees who feel they were discriminated against can't or won't sue. Companies are very careful about these things, in some cases it makes it difficult to fire someone who really ought to go.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2018, 01:05:12 am »

Visit some low income areas in the midwest and southern US and that may change your mind. Areas with the highest teen pregnancy rates in the nation, people who are grandparents in their 30s, it really doesn't seem to take a whole lot of effort to raise offspring to potential breeding age.
Modern societies have largely isolated themselves from evolutionary issues. Idiocracy isn't a crass comedy movie. Its a solid prediction.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:16 am »
Those of us non-sociopaths can only hope that China eventually develops to the point where people do not go there to set up shop because they can exploit the local population to become wealthy on the backs of others.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:01 am »
The fact that people have no prospects puts people in the horrible position of having nothing to offer to others except for sex. The less we invest in society the fewer people will ever be able to afford the stability that leads to marriage and the higher the percentage of children born out of wedlock will be. Also, the fact is, that in many countries, its not such a big thing. The US seems to be the very worst country in the developed world to grow up with a single mother. Rights for nonmarital children are actually worse than they were in the 80s and 90s.

They are trying to eliminate public education. Not just public higher education, public education. All of it. Then we'll be in a fine kettle of fish.

Don't blame the victims of this mess. Whats happening is a concentration of wealth unlike any the world has ever seen. If we keep going at the rate we are, there isnt going to be any middle class in the US in just a few years. Just lots and lots of poor people and a fairly small number relatively speaking of wealthy people.

The poor and especially the former middle class are going to be in desperate financial straights.

This isn't some tropical country where people can live in a paper shack.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2018, 01:18:43 am »
Those of us non-sociopaths can only hope that China eventually develops to the point where people do not go there to set up shop because they can exploit the local population to become wealthy on the backs of others.

Some will come here.. for a while. Once wages fall a bit more.

But the fact is, it wont last. Because automation will impact the whole world. Also, the competition for the remaining jobs will become a lot more intense for Americans.

Because the imminent dissolving of barriers to corporations, under the multilateral trading system, allowing companies to use their cheapest employees anywhere they operate, even as temps,  is designed so that wages in countries like the US will fall, not so that wages in places like China would rise.

Also, falling demand. AI will mean mass unemployment. But the services liberalization which means big changes - will hit us much sooner and much harder than automation. Because those jobs will be the bread and butter jobs that communities depend on.

This will really pull the rug out from under millions of people.

No matter how cheap they will work for, their rights are going to be framed as the reason they cant get that job. Its really a skillful strategy to divide the nation and the world without being obvious about it.
Why should somebody pay some worker - say an engineer, $60,000 a year in the US, when they can get one for $4000 a year from some MNC, say, a subcontractor.

Thats the future.  Yes, wages will rise in China for the best skilled, but the most skilled seem to be doing their best to go to places like Western Europe or Canada or Australia or even the US,  if they can. Where the pay is higher, at least for now, and there is a work life balance. But eventually, the wages here will not be any better, while the cost of living will be much higher, so many people from foreign countries will go back. Leaving us in a hell of a big mess.

Can we beat China on wages? How low can we go? It wont matter, we wont have the education.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:55:56 am by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2018, 01:33:29 am »
This is totally understandable given the rapidity of change and recent history.

It wasnt that long ago that China was mostly a backwards nation. I think there is likely no other country on Earth that has changed as rapidly.

China has actually invested a lot more in its poor areas than has India. Sad to say. India only passed a law mandating that there be public primary education in 2013, and they still haven't funded it! 

And nobody even calls them out on it.   Idiots..

The problem is, the era of large scale work in industry is largely over. And really there is nothing to take its place unless we suddenly wise up and realize, its going to be a mess which we wont have any solution for.

We need to become willing to invest a lot more in people than we are.   

James, I know you dont always agree with the things I say, but I'm telling you the truth, we who care about our country and our planet need to stop arguing about trivial things and get down to work on what we want our future to be.   We also have to stop taking advantage of one another.

The whole world is going to be an ugly place because of all this greed. If the current trends continue, I give us 50-50 odds to survive this century.

It's a cultural thing. We were educated from kindergarten that the "better" students get more attention from teachers, and the "worse" students get tossed and ignored.
Taiwan has realized general democracy in early 2000s, and social hierarchy and level discrimination is still very severe even till this day.
Same can be said for Japan and Korea, though they have adopted western value half century ago. Workplace bullying and social level discrimination are still norm there.
Competitive and exclusion is just eastern Asian culture.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:40:29 am by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2018, 01:46:48 am »
If it wasnt for the US we wouldnt have GATS which has really been a key problem, by forcing the privatization of the things we need to be doing.  If Americans knew the facts about it, we would go berserk. So they hide it.

The worst kinds of people, the oligarchs in countries like India and China got into this GATS deal with the worst kinds of people in the US. They think they are very slick, and it is very slick, I'll give them that. Its an end run around democracy. So - it gets rid of the safety valve..

Its so slick its likely to cause a war if we don't call it out for the scam it is. And everybody will be totally confused as to what it is their countries stand for and what they are fighting for because everything is so dishonest its all backwards.   Thats a diagnostic sign of the very worst kinds of frauds.

It's a cultural thing. We were educated from kindergarten that the "better" students get more attention from teachers, and the "worse" students get tossed and ignored.
Taiwan has realized general democracy in early 2000s, and social hierarchy and level discrimination is still very severe even till this day.
Same can be said for Japan and Korea, though they have adopted western value half century ago. Workplace bullying and social level discrimination are still norm there.
Competitive and exclusion is just eastern Asian culture.

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2018, 07:43:52 am »
I have to comment on this because I have been wondering how someone with Green/Red color blindness could work in this field. It is so common that you are tested for it at the DMV. (stoplights, also why they are standard vertical location)

I have friends have have this, and each time I see a red LCD Test equipment screen and a green one near each other. I think OOooh. s--t
Resistors, small caps and chokes, good schematic diagrams, which color LED to install...

I am just waiting for a mixed up RED/GREEN LCD screen

my heart hurts for anyone serious about this field and how she/he negotiates the challenges, has anyone with color blindness shared their story of how they manage?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »
I don't really see most of those things as being big issues anymore. When was the last time you saw color banded through-hole components in a commercial product? How many engineers are installing red and green LEDs by hand? What difference does it make what colors are used on a schematic so long as it has reasonable contrast? There are positions where good color vision will matter, but engineering is a broad topic and plenty of positions won't.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2018, 07:24:51 pm »
Incidentally, I mentioned color blindness to some engineers from a major power distribution supply company -- they confirmed that linemen must pass a color discrimination test (the polkadots kind).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2018, 08:36:49 pm »
I have to comment on this because I have been wondering how someone with Green/Red color blindness could work in this field. It is so common that you are tested for it at the DMV. (stoplights, also why they are standard vertical location)

I have friends have have this, and each time I see a red LCD Test equipment screen and a green one near each other. I think OOooh. s--t
Resistors, small caps and chokes, good schematic diagrams, which color LED to install...

I am just waiting for a mixed up RED/GREEN LCD screen

my heart hurts for anyone serious about this field and how she/he negotiates the challenges, has anyone with color blindness shared their story of how they manage?

First off, colorblindness is a word that is abused to cover anyone that's been diagnosed as having trouble seeing the normal range of colors, without any description of the severity. In fact, nearly all so-called colorblind people still see colors well enough to function in general society, often without anyone taking notice.

My own case is fairly mild in the red-green area. For instance, I've been known to see light green houses as grey houses since I was a child. Traffic lights are no problem. Resistor codes are no problem in bright light. Web pages that choose to use red text on black background are annoyingly low contrast for me. But mostly, it's had no effect on my life at all. In my software career, it's actually helped me in interface color choices, because I'm more aware of contrast and color choices. Well, once we started having decent color displays...I started in the monochrome era of computing.

Now I have a female friend who has a serious case of R-G. Her father was also colorblind, and her mother clearly had a recessive gene for it. Even she still sees very bright reds and greens. Traffic lights are usually ok for her, depending on how bright they are, plus there are other clues as mentioned. Even those areas with horizontal traffic lights have non-color clues (red is leftmost in the US). Indicator LED's, particularly the two-color variety, are another matter. She can see they're lit, but often can't tell the difference between red and green. Color clues in computer games can also frustrate her. But so far as daily life goes, color isn't a showstopper. So occasionally she has to ask someone in certain cases. But generally speaking she's well adapted to life on her own.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2018, 09:02:49 pm »
Traffic signal heads use a deep (bluish) green lens which is normally distinguishable by RG colour blind people. This held up the development of LED signal heads  for a while (in the UK at least), until the right shade of green LED became available.

It's not a perfect solution of course but, in combination with positional cues, it helps.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:05:06 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2018, 04:41:46 pm »
which color LED to install

On that basis, the rest of us should be banned from installing water-clear LEDs.

Offline carlsfootprints

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2018, 06:00:54 am »
I am having difficulty as well on certain colors like red to green, yellow to green. But for Blue to red, I can easily distinguish that.

I wasn't accepted on a telco job after the last medical screening because I failed Ishihara test. I already went to a series of interview and exam before they rejected me. Lucky, I got a design engineering job after I failed there  ;D

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »
In the US, sexual preference, marital status, and religion are protected as is gender and color.   Age is also protected, but the protections have limits, e.g, an 85 y.o. is not protected when applying for an entry-level position.
FYI, the protected classes in USA are "sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, [and] genetic information".

However, federal laws offer the following protection (grouped by first year any protection was implemented):

1963:
- sex

1964:
- race
- religion
- national origin

1967:
1968:
- familial status

1973:
- disability

1974:
- veteran status

1978:
- pregnancy

2008:
- genetic information

Other pitfalls for employers include union affiliation, marital status, retaliation, and harassment (sexual or otherwise).

Note that sexual orientation and gender identity are NOT expressly protected under any Federal law*. Though the Federal government does protect those for its own hiring, it does not apply to other employers. This is why in most states, you can go have your same-sex wedding on Saturday, and then be fired on Monday after your boss sees the wedding pictures. Now, the EEOC itself interprets the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as covering LGBT people under the "sex" umbrella, but this is essentially just an agency's policy, and could very well fail in court.

*Some states offer protection to either or both of those groups, at the state level of course.

As to the concrete issue of color perception deficiencies: In USA, this would fall under "disability", and thus is fundamentally protected. However, protections are subject to the exception for "bona fide occupational requirements", and if identifying colors is a legitimately necessary function of the job, and reasonable accommodations (organizational or technological) cannot be made, then it's not a violation of the law. (Examples of allowable bona fide occupational requirements include the requirement to lift a certain weight of box, or that to model clothing for little girls, you must be a little girl, or that you must be a US citizen for a position that requires a US government security clearance.)

IANAL, but I would interpret this as today allowing exclusion of color blindness for an electrician job (since you can't always have someone else with you to identify wires), but that this exemption might become illegal as assistive technology changes. For example, if someone makes a demonstrably reliable augmented reality app (e.g. for Google Glass-like hardware) that can identify the colors and overlay the names or some other identifier.

Offline pinkman

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2019, 05:05:05 am »
@blueskull I know your post is old but I see the thread is still alive.

You say these things as if china has made notable contributions to the world other than gunpowder (many alchemist would have found it anyway) and tiananmen square(this is china's special contribution to the world which reveals all we need to know).

The reason you perceive china to be this way is because you don't understand what is going on there.

Those people received total economic freedom in exchange for every. single. other. freedom.

Yes, there is financial gain being had in china right now but that will not last and in time that gain will be absorbed back into the masses, bringing the 99% back to the third world were their morals reside.

Go live in a communist country.  If you like it, you belong there and you deserve everything you get from it.

So soon do people forget which hand fed them and start biting...

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:03 am »
Thanks you very much and I know which one I like.

As is your right. The world would be a terribly boring place if we were all the same and liked the same things.

I hope it treats you well.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2019, 03:06:18 pm »
Education is in theory objective but that will mean self trained or taught individuals will likely lose out consistently to those with formal degrees.

Usually not in the real world. The two things that matter are:
1) Can you do the job
2) Do they like you (for *insert reasons here*)

Depends on where you are in the world. I keep an eye on jobs going and anything electronic they want degrees and may consider a HND (2 years of university). If you only have a HNC (1 year) you won't get anywhere. I am quite literally wasting my time getting qualifications in stuff i already know or could learn with ease so that I can tick boxes.

Here in the UK job hiring is farmed out to agencies that don't understand the work so all they can do is tick boxes and give the employer the short list. This is most of what is wrong with this country, everyone is too scared to make a decision so they come up with some proceedure that will be to blame and subcontracting stuff out seems to be a big issue here as there comes a point where you have to wonder who is willing to actually do the job.

My father had a boiler fitted by a company 6 layers of subcontractor down from the company that contracted the work. The result was that there must have been little money left by the time every layer of pen pushers had had their cut and he got a bunch of cowboys that were cluless doing the work.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2019, 03:10:04 pm »
@blueskull I know your post is old but I see the thread is still alive.

You say these things as if china has made notable contributions to the world other than gunpowder (many alchemist would have found it anyway) and tiananmen square(this is china's special contribution to the world which reveals all we need to know).

The reason you perceive china to be this way is because you don't understand what is going on there.

Those people received total economic freedom in exchange for every. single. other. freedom.

Yes, there is financial gain being had in china right now but that will not last and in time that gain will be absorbed back into the masses, bringing the 99% back to the third world were their morals reside.

Go live in a communist country.  If you like it, you belong there and you deserve everything you get from it.

So soon do people forget which hand fed them and start biting...

I suggest you let him find out for himself and stay off the politics please. We don't do politics here as a rule and this thread is already along those lines.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2019, 04:16:18 pm »
Crimes against humanity - especially to this level - are totally separate from politics. 

Doesn't matter; it doesn't even matter that I might even agree with your characterisation of crime versus politics. One of the moderators has politely asked you to cool it. There are plenty of other places to go on the web if you want a political rant or to set the world to rights. Persist in posting about what has been deemed political by one of the moderators and you may find yourself with no option but to go to one of those 'other places' as said moderator will, somewhat less politely, kick your arse out of here.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
Crimes against humanity - especially to this level - are totally separate from politics.  I do not understate the situation when I compare the chinese government to Nazi Germany.  Those who try to make it about politics are trying to distract from the reality of what is going on over there.  The fact that people can ignore this and keep working with this evil country as if nothing is wrong is testament to how far we have stooped in western society.  Everyone everywhere needs to be talking about this and bringing it out into the open.  It shocks me how many people I encounter who are unaware of this and it has been going on for decades.  They are now literally using DNA to identify and detain these people.  This is end of the world type of stuff. The fact that you can call this "politics" and ignore this crime against humanity is absolutely disgusting.  Sorry for saying that, but it's the truth.  I mean no offense but get your facts straight and try to care about your fellow man a bit more, pal.

LAST WARNING, i might not even care if you had this to say in a thread about the subject but as it stands you are off topic and on a thin line subject wise.

Offline pinkman

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2019, 07:43:52 pm »
Last warning for what? Being against Nazis? Oh, no! Will you ban me foe that?

1) Consider that in the era of VPN's, banning someone is a formality.  Doing so only exposes your impotence. 

2) This thread has been archived and your position on human rights violations in china has been archived permanentlly.

3)  I have not used this forum much but I have access to an offline archive of test equipment and consumer equipment  schematics that no longer exist except in the hands of a few of my colleagues as well as firmware build info and general knowledge from nearly 30 years in RF, Automotive, etc that I could help many people with many things.

Ban me, you impotent cuck.  I will take my knowledge elsewhere.  I thought this place was interesting and not populated by "impotent fragile cuck mod". I was wrong. Go back to your safe space. Your generation doesn't deserve what the experienced among us have to offer. Move to china  ;D ;D :palm:

Posting from free vpn instead of mcdonalds wifi to prove my point.  DO IT.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf