Author Topic: EE jobs in Antarctica  (Read 11348 times)

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: EE jobs in Antarctica
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 07:43:01 pm »
In all seriousness if you needed a 2n2222 transistor really bad in the middle of winter, just imagine how much the delivery cost would be.

Well, sending 2n2222 alone might be a bit pricey. But there is a workaround: send it along with other goods. The waiting time is a bit longer, but it's much cheaper. This also facilitates careful designing and upfront planning (like ordering 2n2907 along with 2n2222).

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 07:43:32 pm »
Forget Antartica, agggg, get your ass to Mars.

I honestly believe that mankind will have to eventually move off this planet but I have to admit the survival rate for the first few people on Mars will not be good.   Musk has good intentions but I'm not sure he is taking the human factors issues into account.   In any event there is a huge need to have a base set up (robotically most likely) before people arrive.   I just don't think the tech is there yet.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 07:52:55 pm »
I would have to imagine that every tech, every engineer, every cook or whatever would have to be really good at inventory control.   Make the wrong decisions about what is needed and you would be hurting for a long time.   If the cook doesn't order enough food you could be dining on Penguin for a very long time.

It is funny but a younger me would have dream about such a job change but would have sobered up once awake and realized that I didn't need a push to go nuts.   Younger me would often take week long hikes in the back country devoid of other humans (never more than a week though)   The older me would rather dream about warm beaches in the Philippines or Carribbean.

In all seriousness if you needed a 2n2222 transistor really bad in the middle of winter, just imagine how much the delivery cost would be.

Well, sending 2n2222 alone might be a bit pricey. But there is a workaround: send it along with other goods. The waiting time is a bit longer, but it's much cheaper. This also facilitates careful designing and upfront planning (like ordering 2n2907 along with 2n2222).

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 02:59:20 am »

Every station is different (and the peninsular is a lot more accessible), but for the most part the only way to get something in during winter is airdrop.  Which for the Australian's has only been done as a proof of concept (requires a C-17, tanked half way).  Effectively no way in or out once the sea ice starts to freeze

Pretty much you just work with what you have (which to be fair, is quite a lot) until the next resupply.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 08:32:23 am »
If the cook doesn't order enough food you could be dining on Penguin for a very long time.

This is the logic I followed when ordering parts from US. I tried to foresee my demand and order extra parts which I might not immediately need, but it would be prohibitively expensive to order them alone. Now I have five boxes with hundreds of parts, many of them in single quantities. Don't know what to do with them :/ (*). Is there an equivalent of TEA, but for parts?

(*) Actually, I do. I need to accept that I don't need them and throw away everything that I didn't use last couple of years.

Offline Pineapple Dan

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 08:14:53 am »
I applied for an EE job with British Antarctic survey a few times, never got it though. Maybe next year I'll have another go

Offline Annalice

• !
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2021, 03:38:40 pm »
I really like this part of the forum. It is always interesting to be here and read the thoughts of colleagues. In turn, I want to express my opinion. Antarctica? Brrrrr, no, this is not for me. I hate the cold, but I need to work somewhere, and so for me, the ideal option was a vacancy! remote qa tester jobs. Sitting in the apartment under my grandmother's wool blanket with a cup of good coffee, working on Internet access, isn't that a blessing? :) Those who work on Antarctica itself are heroes. This is not a job for everyone, and, as I wrote above, I am an example of this. The only thing you can regret is the contact with the penguins, but I will look at them in the zoo :).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:18:38 pm by Annalice »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 11:27:36 pm »
Knapik: don't feel bad, on job mill you need persistence. That and thick skin. And a sense of humour,...always with a sense of humor.
(Yes I know I switched spellings, lol).

I've described background, before, as "Worked at major San Francisco Dispensary " (medical POT).
(Didn't get job offer.)
   "Organization BUSTED ! by US DEA agency, during Early Sunday morning action..."
(Still no JOB offers. Maybe a different cover letter / bow tie...hmmm.)

The following users thanked this post: knapik

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf