Author Topic: Embedded Software Engineer - Sydney  (Read 15817 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Embedded Software Engineer - Sydney
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:32 am »
I thought I would post the link to the job advert for where I work on here as there as there is likely some like minded individuals here :)

It is a small company and we are looking to add an engineer, it will be a mix of hardware and firmware but the focus at the moment is on firmware with some new hardware to come soon.
It is a very hands on business so there will be plenty to learn and get on with.

You can apply via the seek page or you can contact me directly, if you apply via seek mention eevblog or Tom in the cover letter.
http://www.seek.com.au/job/29572675

Let me know if you have questions.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:56:45 am by logictom »

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
Re: Embedded Software Engineer - Sydney
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »
If I was only in the land of OZ
Recharged Volt-Nut

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:59:30 am »
It's always the way, when I was back home in the UK there weren't many interesting jobs going and as soon as I move to Oz they seem to be popping up right, left and centre!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:07:08 am »
It's always the way, when I was back home in the UK there weren't many interesting jobs going and as soon as I move to Oz they seem to be popping up right, left and centre!

IIRC you were worried at the time that you might not find one?

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »
IIRC you were worried at the time that you might not find one?

That's right, I was having difficulty finding the type of job I was interested in and, having only ~3yrs experience, I would have all the right boxes ticked.
I'm currently commuting around an hour and a half door to door but I would rather do that for a job I enjoy that be 20 minutes from a job where I was just clocking in for a pay check, we've plans to move close to the area once our tenancy agreement is up anyway  :-+

We're having trouble finding people with the right skill set, so far we've had over 60 applicants and one interview - anyone thinking of applying should do so, enthusiasm and something to show off can make up for a lack of experience :)

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:24 am »
Nudge and updated link

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:58 am »
Do you have a salary bracket?

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 02:36:23 am »
I don't sorry, I'm not privy to that info but if you want to send in a CV it can be discussed with the boss.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:22:23 am »
Maybe have your boss determine a salary bracket. If a job ad doesn't tell what the salary is then I don't bother to read. Just like many engineers I hate to haggle about salary!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 01:59:49 am »
With or without a salary bracket there is going to be a negotiation based on experience anyway  :-//

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:27 am »
If I had all the skills on that list would you pay at least $500,000 AUD? It's a bit tricky with exchange rates but looking at property prices in Sydney that seems reasonable.

Offline m12lrpv

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:06:02 pm »
We're having trouble finding people with the right skill set...
The skill set doesn't necessarily make sense mixing C with java and web technologies like javascript and css.

You're probably getting web developers applying when C/C++ is all you're really after and they're adaptable enough to google what they need in the other areas.

Offline Zman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:59:03 am »
If I had all the skills on that list would you pay at least $500,000 AUD? It's a bit tricky with exchange rates but looking at property prices in Sydney that seems reasonable.
are you serious?? you can NOT get more than $AU 120 000 on this kind of position in Sydney and 100 000 elsewhere!
http://joboutlook.gov.au/occupation.aspx?search=alpha&tab=stats&cluster=&code=2613&graph=SHOWALL
Information wants to be FREE!

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:04:36 am »
AUD 120,000 is only about £56k, which is a joke for someone with 10 years experience in embedded C and electronics, and all the other skills. Looking at house prices in Sydney, you couldn't buy a cardboard box for that much. Maybe banks give bigger mortgages over there, but in the UK 5x your salary is normal. A starter home in London is classed as up to £400k, and that's for an apartment.

By my estimate AUD 500,000 is about £230,000, which is reasonable for this kind of position in an expensive capital city and considering that they are advertising internationally. If they wanted a graduate who is happy to rent a box room they wouldn't have put 3 years minimum experience, hopefully 10 years.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:57 am »

*snort*

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 09:19:28 am »
AUD 120,000 is only about £56k, which is a joke for someone with 10 years experience in embedded C and electronics, and all the other skills.

AU$120k is a very high salary for an experienced embedded programmer in Oz. Average would probably be $80k-$100k.

By my estimate AUD 500,000 is about £230,000, which is reasonable for this kind of position in an expensive capital city and considering that they are advertising internationally.

:-DD
Not one single embedded software programmer in oz would be earning AU$200k, let alone $500k.
That is an insane salary, CEO level.

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »
I had a quick look on some property web sites and $80kx5 + 100k cash will get you a 1 bedrom flat in Sydney. How does anyone rise a family there? Seems like you would have to commute in from a fair way out. To be honest I don't know what the situation around Sydney is like, but it it's anything like the UK property is insane there too.

To put it another way, my STARTING salary right out of university was just shy of AUD $80k. So you really pay senior, multi-skilled engineers with decades of experience what a good graduate in the UK can earn? That's outside of London too, equivalent of £37k, which is seriously an absolute joke.

I thought Australia was a high wage, high cost place? Only half of that assumption seems to be correct.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
The GBP-AUD exchange rate is bad the moment.  But the prices are much like here before it all went bang. My brother bought a house for 500+ AUD 10k outside Melbourne last week.
There is Chinese money pouring into the country, as they buy up the place.

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 09:59:46 pm »
500k means you need to earn at least 100k to reasonably afford the mortgage, assuming you have some cash saved or from a previous house. 80k isn't going to cut it.

I started on £35k out of university, and that's in a relatively cheap part of the country. That's about 75k AUD. I did some contract stuff in London for two years a while back on 250k AUD, but didn't like it so went back to a salary of about 180k AUD far from the capital.

Okay, 500k was a bit of a conversion error, but 80k is an absolute joke. Looking on supermarket web sites the cost of living doesn't seem to be lower than the UK, if anything it's higher. You aren't going to get any UK talent when your senior roles only pay graduate wages...

And you don't even have a fully free to use healthcare system! How much do you pay for good health insurance?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »
I had a quick look on some property web sites and $80kx5 + 100k cash will get you a 1 bedrom flat in Sydney. How does anyone rise a family there? Seems like you would have to commute in from a fair way out.

Yes, that's what people do.
Something like this house is $600k:
http://www.domain.com.au/1-1-bayldon-place-glenmore-park-nsw-2745-2012355094?sp=9
But it's way out in the far western suburbs.

Sydney house prices have almost double in 4 years or so.

I thought Australia was a high wage, high cost place? Only half of that assumption seems to be correct.

Correct for Sydney.
Remember also that our Australian dollar is crap at the moment, it used to be on parity with the US dollar.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 10:12:58 pm »
And you don't even have a fully free to use healthcare system! How much do you pay for good health insurance?

We have universal health care. So "free" is you don't want private. It cost me "nothing" to go see the doctor. But of course I'm a tax payer so I pay a few percent each year on my tax for that.
Comprehensive private health cover might be say $200/month.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:19:06 pm by EEVblog »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »

Something like this house is $600k:
http://www.domain.com.au/1-1-bayldon-place-glenmore-park-nsw-2745-2012355094?sp=9
But it's way out in the far western suburbs.

mmmm   Dave's new lab ??

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:36:07 pm »
500k house and commuting in would be a stretch on 80k... I wouldn't do it, it's not worth it.

So okay, the exchange rate us bad now, but even so when it had parity with USD 80k is rather low. And I'm looking at the cost of living in Australia.

Offline Zman

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 06:39:25 am »
So okay, the exchange rate us bad now, but even so when it had parity with USD 80k is rather low. And I'm looking at the cost of living in Australia.

it is true and actually is very sad... the problem in .AU is that property market has been blown out of proportion long time ago and it is still bubbling even more, growing each year 10% up or so...

it is more and more unlikely for young players (c) David :) to enter the property market with that kind of salaries

Information wants to be FREE!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf