Author Topic: Embedded Software Engineer - Sydney  (Read 15748 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Embedded Software Engineer - Sydney
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:42 am »
We're having trouble finding people with the right skill set...
The skill set doesn't necessarily make sense mixing C with java and web technologies like javascript and css.

You're probably getting web developers applying when C/C++ is all you're really after and they're adaptable enough to google what they need in the other areas.

It's like any job ad, asking for everything expecting to get some. Being a small company we need people that are able to apply themselves to different tasks so we listed what would be useful.
To be honest if we got someone who knew only C that would do, we've had people with 8+ years apparently programming in C and can't spot a simple error in a C example.

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:12:09 am »
And you don't even have a fully free to use healthcare system! How much do you pay for good health insurance?

We have universal health care. So "free" is you don't want private. It cost me "nothing" to go see the doctor. But of course I'm a tax payer so I pay a few percent each year on my tax for that.
Comprehensive private health cover might be say $200/month.

As a Brit we get access to all the free health care too, plus you get paid whilst sick not like back in the UK where there's no pay for the first four days and then £88 a week after that!

We've found that the cost of living is higher in terms of property but things like utilities are cheaper, petrol is half the price! Groceries are pretty similar, we have more disposible income here than in the UK and we were living in a cheap area of the UK.
They do need to sort out the internet here though, luckily we live in an NBN area so the speed is good, still getting use to a capped service though ???

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:53 am »
mmmm   Dave's new lab ??

It is actually cheaper to rent a nearby 4 bedroom house on 700sqm of land than to rent 100sqm or office space in my business park

Offline m12lrpv

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
The skill set doesn't necessarily make sense mixing C with java and web technologies like javascript and css.

You're probably getting web developers applying when C/C++ is all you're really after and they're adaptable enough to google what they need in the other areas.

It's like any job ad, asking for everything expecting to get some. Being a small company we need people that are able to apply themselves to different tasks so we listed what would be useful.
To be honest if we got someone who knew only C that would do, we've had people with 8+ years apparently programming in C and can't spot a simple error in a C example.

My day job is Database DBA/Dev(oracle) and we've just gone through trying to hire a mid level C# web dev. All of the candidates want big $$$ and they can get it eventually because of the demand. I know that the skill set for embedded C is harder so I was suitably gob smacked at the low rates Dave linked to.

Anyway when assessing our C# candidates my rudimentary C# skills had me finishing the coding assessment in 45 minutes. None of the experienced candidates finished it in 90 minutes. The guy we did hire has shown he's good at it though despite the assessment result. Sometimes people's heads just aren't in the right place for assessments; variations in coding styles from company to company can really throw people.
Enough rambling from me...

Good luck with it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:32 am »
it is true and actually is very sad... the problem in .AU is that property market has been blown out of proportion long time ago and it is still bubbling even more, growing each year 10% up or so...

In Sydney the property market has just ground to a sudden halt.
Although the average sale data is not in yet, clearance rates have plummeted to 4 years lows, and everyone says it's the end of the boom. Interest rates have just gone up too, and some banks have stopped lending to investor at all.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:37 am »
500k house and commuting in would be a stretch on 80k... I wouldn't do it, it's not worth it.

Countless people do it every day.

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:44 am »
This just arrived in my inbox. Over AUD $100,000 for a shitty web developer, and in an only moderately expensive area.

Job Title: Front End Developer-Chichester- £45,000-£48,000

Agency Developer

Do you want to work for a forward thinking company?

Developer required to support an agency team in implementing and providing a varied range of services.

Primary skills (required)
Attention to detail
Team player / good communicator
Good debug / diagnostic skills
Good HTML, CSS skills
Good native JS skills
Basic Unix command line (Linux / MacOS)
Basic Git understanding as a minimum
CSS3 selector knowledge
System integration (integration of separate platforms, e.g. eComm platform with CRM, or CMS with bulk mailer etc)

Secondary skills (an advantage):
Digital analytics (e.g. GA)
A/B testing
jQuery / Angular / Sizzle libraries
Ajax
Google Closure Compiler
Bootstrap

Tertiary skills (nice to have):
PHP
Drupal
UX best practices

Agency Integrator areas of knowledge
Secondary skills (an advantage):
CRM (Saleforce, Sugar, Dynamics, etc)
Bulk Mail (Mailchimp, Pure 360, etc)
Digital advertising (AdWords, Bing etc)
CMS (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress etc)
JSON and using different APIs
Ecommerce set-up (e.g. Magento, Shopify, etc)

Offline Zman

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 11:43:34 am »
Another thing that comes to play IMHO is that industry in general and job market in .AU in particular are down and probably it is getting worse. There are not enough jobs to hire so many people. Any decent position gets 20-30 applicants (traceable via seek/linkedin). So companies can be choosy and offer that kind of low salaries and someone who is desperate eventually will take it.

Here is an observation:
I use "Altium" keyword for SEEK search (main job site in .AU) and I get around 10-15 jobs per month.
For the same search at USA sites I get over 300 jobs posted! And the population size is only 10 times bigger, so one would expect to get 100-150 vacancies if it was the same proportion...
Information wants to be FREE!

Offline Zman

• Contributor
Information wants to be FREE!

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 11:28:17 am »
Here's another one that came in today, for a non-senior position. AUD $116,500. Property in the $600-700k for a reasonable house.

Job Spec: Electronics/ Firmware Engineer- Bishop's Stortford- £45-55k

Due to expansion, a well-renowned family company are looking for a hands-on Electronics/ Firmware Engineer to further support their Research and Development function.
Working as part of a small team of Engineers, the company have a number challenging projects in place for the foreseeable future so you will be able to take ownership and get involved from day 1.

Skills
Design of embedded micro controlled systems
Interfacing electronics using Op amps and comparators etc
Programming in C
PCB layout

It would be useful to know:
Ti MSP or Cortex M series micros
Proteus Schematic Layout
Protocols- RS232, RS485, SPI or i2C

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 06:33:30 pm »
As long as the mortage rates are low and the banks allow a 80-100% mortage and the house prices stay the same / climb a little this should not be an big issue on such salary.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »
AFAIK the NL is one of the very few (only) countries where you can get a 100% mortgage on a house (and that percentage used to be much higher!).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:47 pm »
In most eastern European countries this is possible. Because house prices are high in those countries but the wages are low.
CZ and the like allow 100% for 2% interest rate or so. I'm also pretty sure this is the same in the south European countries like spain, portugal, italy and france.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline Soundwave

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 09:56:21 am »
In western Europe there have been efforts to prevent banks giving irresponsible 100% mortgages that rely on interest rates staying low forever to work. We want to avoid another financial meltdown.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
ATTENTION:
User "Soundwave" is yet another Mojo-chan sockpuppet account. Banned.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
Soundwave: An evil decepticon.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:12:36 pm by Towger »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf