General > Jobs

Freelance job: embedded Atmel AT90USB1286 firmware, LUFA, FAT, basic crypto

(1/2) > >>

techydude:
Seeking firmware programmer for a short-term embedded Atmel AT90USB1286 project involving USB/LUFA, FAT file-sys, crypto.

- Must be based on/work within the Arduino toolchain, operating on pre-existing custom hardware based on Atmel AT90USB1286 (e.g. compatible with Teensy++ 2.0 @ www.pjrc.com).
- Use LUFA (probably) to support a Mass Storage class USB connection (probably a virtual SDcard) to a host computer (Windows or Mac).
- Present a FAT file-system to the host PC.
- Maintain a few small files (generated as-needed from data in EEPROM) that are readable & read-only by the PC (files report hardware/firmware status & device usage), .txt, .csv & .html formats.
- Receive via USB & process a small .txt device configuration file, whose contents are encrypted.
- Be competent in, or willing to quickly learn enough to implement, a known industry-standard basic block cypher suitable for running on a slow 8-bit MCU (e.g. Twofish?).
- There may be further firmware integration work once this stage is reached.

Requirements:
- First start by working with me interactively to clarify the spec
- Can demonstrate experience  / prior work in the technologies mentioned above
  (Arduino, LUFA & USB Mass Storage class, FAT file-system, basic block cypher encryption techniques)
- Desirable, but not essential: Be able to complete this work before the end of March.
- Use BitBucket or GitHub to push regular commits to a private repo for review & testing (by me & The Client).
- Your location is not important; only your reputation is.  I am in Sydney Australia, my client is in Egypt.

I was intending to tackle this firmware myself, but a sudden & unexpected change of employment status requires me to offload it.

I am (my client is) willing to pay someone an hourly rate for initial liasion, ironing out spec, etc, then ideally a fixed price for implementation. If there are material variations in our spec along the way, or other genuinely unforeseeable hiccups, we're tolerant of variations in your billing.  Periodic invoicing is fine, so long as progress is demonstrated.

Please contact me ASAP, or pass along if you know someone else who might be interested, because if I don't find someone within my extended network soon, I'll probably have to resort to the snakepit of somewhere like Freelancer.

Anthony May
anthony at techydude dot com dot au

dannyf:

--- Quote ---AT90USB1286
--- End quote ---

For a while, I thought I was the only one in the world using that chip.

A co-worker gave me lots of them in the form of USB sticks, samples from Atmel.

Kjelt:
Twofish really? AES-128 in cbc mode should be faster and NIST approved.
Or even since you are using a FAT you can do ctr mode of operation and let the index on the disc be part of the counter.
Don't know who your intended customers are or their requirements, just a thought.

techydude:

--- Quote from: dannyf on January 29, 2015, 12:27:35 pm ---
--- Quote ---AT90USB1286
--- End quote ---

For a while, I thought I was the only one in the world using that chip.

A co-worker gave me lots of them in the form of USB sticks, samples from Atmel.

--- End quote ---

it probably would've passed my attention, but for its use in Teensy++ 2.0.  nice chip.  rather expensive though.  my hope is, once this firmware is a bit more developed, I'll know how much flash I actually need, and drop back to something like a 32u4 if possible.

techydude:

--- Quote from: Kjelt on January 29, 2015, 01:07:33 pm ---Twofish really? AES-128 in cbc mode should be faster and NIST approved.
Or even since you are using a FAT you can do ctr mode of operation and let the index on the disc be part of the counter.
Don't know who your intended customers are or their requirements, just a thought.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  The 'spec' in this regard is virtually non-existent (hence some to-ing & fro-ing initially to hammer out the spec), and I hadn't even begun to look into cypher options for this yet.  If AES-128 in cbc is practical for a little 8-bit mcu, then that would be more than adequate.  The hardware will have a unique 64-bit 'serial number' in it too, btw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version