General > Jobs

Freelance job: Web-based or Windows-PC software

(1/3) > >>

techydude:
Seeking a short-term programmer for a Web-based or Windows-PC software project.

- Either Web-based (preferably), or Windows-based (if Windows, must support Windows XP & above, .Net framework requirement on client PC is acceptable).
- Maintains a reasonably small database (e.g. <100k Product records) with a list of Products with assigned serial numbers, various configuration parameters, & encryption keys.
- User can add, edit & archive items in the Product database, both manually one at a time, & by accepting a .csv file for mass import.
- Software can issue per-Product encrypted configuration files in .txt format, save to disk.
- Underlying database requirement should be 'garden variety' (e.g. MySQL, Postgres, SQLite, etc)
- Possibility of a 2nd development stage integrating to a separate website where users can request issuance of updated configuration files, sent via email.

Requirements:
- First start by working with me interactively to clarify the spec
- Can demonstrate experience  / prior work in the technologies mentioned above
  (Web/Windows technology stack to be agreed upon)
- Desirable, but not essential: Be able to complete this work before the end of March.
- Use BitBucket or GitHub to push regular commits to a private repo for review & testing (by me & The Client) (& if web-based, maintain a staging web-server of current commit), etc.
- Your location is not important, only your reputation is.  I am in Sydney Australia, my client is in Egypt.

I am (my client is) willing to pay someone an hourly rate for initial liasion, ironing out spec, etc, then ideally a fixed price for implementation. If there are material variations in our spec along the way, or other genuinely unforeseeable hiccups, we're tolerant of variations in your billing.  Periodic invoicing is fine, so long as progress is demonstrated.

Please contact me ASAP, or pass along if you know someone else who might be interested, because if I don't find someone within my extended network soon, I'll probably have to resort to the snakepit of somewhere like Freelancer.

Anthony May
anthony at techydude dot com dot au

ivaylo:
Man, I'm dying to work for someone who shows me the finger right away...

techydude:
than you miss out on cake :)

Rigby:
This is work I am VERY glad I don't do anymore. 

Here's what I read: "Here are some things I think I want, but later I will change my mind on a lot of it. Also, we're going to add a TON of unclear, nonsensical requirements after we've decided on your payment terms and everyone signs everything, so you can't ask for more money.  In the end you won't get paid for 6 months after you complete the work, despite the contract stating otherwise."

techydude:

--- Quote from: Rigby on January 31, 2015, 03:20:37 am ---This is work I am VERY glad I don't do anymore. 

Here's what I read: "Here are some things I think I want, but later I will change my mind on a lot of it. Also, we're going to add a TON of unclear, nonsensical requirements after we've decided on your payment terms and everyone signs everything, so you can't ask for more money.  In the end you won't get paid for 6 months after you complete the work, despite the contract stating otherwise."

--- End quote ---

Well, thanks for that assumptive and pessimistic spin, but I think your 'reading' is rather off.

The application is very straight forward, so arriving at a solid spec is highly likely.  However I don't have many pre-conceived notions of how it should be implemented, in what language (frankly I couldn't give a toss, so long as it gets the job done), whether it's a web-app on a server somewhere, or a Windows app, _it really doesn't matter_.  In other words, I'm flexible to the range of skills that express interest in this short term engagement.  And as I said in the description, because the spec is currently so vague, I'm more than happy to pay an hourly rate to work interactively with the contractor to nut out the spec.

If you can't or won't wrap your head around such a scenario, fine, go break a leg elsewhere.  But please don't accuse me of fraud against contractors without evidence - you don't know me or my ethics, thank you very much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version