Author Topic: how to promote himself  (Read 3097 times)

Offline martinribelottaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • A camel is a horse designed by a committee
    • Martin Ribelotta design services
how to promote himself
« on: March 05, 2024, 05:08:51 pm »
Hi everyone, I am looking to promote my electronic engineering services and for that I have created a personal page with some examples of public projects on my github

https://martinribelotta.github.io/

Do you have any suggestions regarding this? Do you know where I could advertise effectively?

I have previously worked for local clients in my country (Argentina) but due to the crisis of recent years I am looking to expand to the world.

I would be happy to receive any opinions on this.

Offline selcuk

• Regular Contributor
Re: how to promote himself
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 12:15:14 pm »
I can recommend you to use Upwork or similar platforms to find international clients with less effort.

Offline YTusername

• Regular Contributor
    • Atadiat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 12:42:39 pm »
I can recommend you to use Upwork or similar platforms to find international clients with less effort.

In my opinion, consider Upwork as a last resort, unless you have savings and the patience to wait for more than a year to build a strong profile there. Everyone's experience varies, but mine hasn't been very positive. I've submitted over 300 proposals and secured only two small contracts, while obtaining three others through my own efforts outside of Upwork.

The following users thanked this post: abeyer, martinribelotta

Offline ClarenceMorse

• !
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 07:43:16 am »
I'm also agree with the OP here. You can try freelancing marketplace for getting better jobs according to your skills. All the best!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 07:47:11 am »
Most of the freelancing jobs people get come from existing contacts, recommendations, word of mouth.
Only a very small number of jobs come from direct advertising reaching someone.

Online freelancing marketplace are good though, get your reputation up and get money.
But you want to break out of that to directly interacting with the customers asap.
Anyone using a marketplace to get work done usually wants it done on the cheap.
So you are losing lots of income just doing marketplace jobs
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:50:10 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 08:33:00 am »
The mrket is flooded with very low cost from China, Indai, etc perhaps $2/hr.

Compare tytical competitve services with your expected hourly rate.

Former clients, reccomendations and personal contacts are X100 mor eeffective

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 10:17:31 pm »
I'm also agree with the OP here. You can try freelancing marketplace for getting better jobs according to your skills. All the best!

I would not be surprised if you can even recommend a specific marketplace, via a helpful spam link to be added shortly.  ::)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 11:21:32 pm »
Sorry if this sounds too harsh, but your "about" page sounds ChatGPT created. 

Key Highlights:
⚙️ Embedded Systems Mastery: Proficient in the development of embedded systems, I bring a wealth of experience in designing robust and efficient solutions for diverse applications.

🛬 Mission-Critical Projects: Successfully contributed to and led projects in mission-critical environments, where reliability, performance, and precision are non-negotiable.

🦾 Industrial Prowess: Specializing in industrial electronics, I have a proven track record of creating solutions that enhance automation, control, and monitoring processes in industrial settings.

👨‍🔬 Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration: Adept at collaborating across disciplines, I have worked seamlessly with cross-functional teams to bring multidimensional projects to fruition.

📚 Continuous Learning: Committed to staying at the forefront of technological advancements, I embrace a mindset of continuous learning, ensuring that my skill set is always aligned with the latest industry trends.

Do you have "Embedded Systems Mastery", or are you just "Proficient"?

Online abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 02:57:11 am »
Sorry if this sounds too harsh, but your "about" page sounds ChatGPT created. 

Key Highlights:
⚙️ Embedded Systems Mastery: Proficient in the development of embedded systems, I bring a wealth of experience in designing robust and efficient solutions for diverse applications.

🛬 Mission-Critical Projects: Successfully contributed to and led projects in mission-critical environments, where reliability, performance, and precision are non-negotiable.

🦾 Industrial Prowess: Specializing in industrial electronics, I have a proven track record of creating solutions that enhance automation, control, and monitoring processes in industrial settings.

👨‍🔬 Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration: Adept at collaborating across disciplines, I have worked seamlessly with cross-functional teams to bring multidimensional projects to fruition.

📚 Continuous Learning: Committed to staying at the forefront of technological advancements, I embrace a mindset of continuous learning, ensuring that my skill set is always aligned with the latest industry trends.

Do you have "Embedded Systems Mastery", or are you just "Proficient"?

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but I'd also add that the emoji doesn't seem to add anything here, and is distracting from what you (or your favorite LLM) are saying. Sticking vaguely related pictures in between bullets and text just makes everything really noisy.

Offline josfemova

• Contributor
  • Tropical FW dev
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 06:13:23 am »
Is your priority just getting a job that protects you from the instability in Argentina, or is your priority being an independent business?
I ask this because one option you can consider if the priority is getting somewhat stable money is sub-contract work.

In my case I'm working with a factory from South America. Currently our firmware studio is being expanded  as an important client is scaling operations and there's a significant amount of vacant positions that given the client profile should be decently stable. Some of the guys from the company work from Argentina; some of them as direct employees and others as contractors. 

English level could be a limitation for any of the options you consider, anglos will generally not like it if your English proficiency is below B2. B1 does not make it so nobody hires you, but they will sure expect you compensate that weakness with evidence of technical proficiency. Some companies like the one I'm working for at the moment offer benefits like English lessons, which could be of use if you decide to go with the subcontractor route.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf