Author Topic: Invention Developers - central London, Cambridge or Lausanne, Switzerland  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Lausanne741Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Yes, you read it correctly - we are hiring people for a brand new role of Invention Development! 

Iprova creates inventions which help define the next generation of products and services for many leading companies in the US, Europe and Japan.  Our invention areas include autonomous vehicles, healthcare, mobile devices and IoT, telecommunications and even unusual areas such as baby milk bottles.

We have developed a data-driven approach to invention which means that we use data and algorithms to augment and magnify the inventive capability of our already talented Invention Developers. 

We are searching for people to join our team who have an intuitive and fundamental understanding of science and electronic engineering, and who are passionate about technology.  No previous experience of invention experience is necessary, but we are looking for people who can demonstrate creativity in their technical hobbies and projects.  New graduates are welcome to apply.

Further details can be found here: http://www.iprova.com/recruitment/invention-developer/

In return we offer competitive salaries, a fun and intellectually challenging working environment - and of course the chance to literally invent the products of tomorrow for some of the worlds best known tech companies.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
From their job description
The first use case of our technology is in the area of creating patentable inventions: we have developed pioneering and world-leading algorithms based on Artificial Intelligence that are defining the very leading edge of this exciting new technology area.

Assertions:
  • this will enable a new class of patent trolls
  • this will destroy the effectiveness of the patent system
  • this will reduce the ability to innovate
Discuss.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Defiantly a millennial who wrote this:

Please note: During periods where we receive very high numbers of applications, we will only reply to those we wish to advance.

no guys - if someone takes the time to write a job application - you answer even if it is a flat out no.

Companies like that are not serious - but reading the rest of their job spec gives a similar impression.

So my advice to anyone - do not apply there unless you are truly desperate.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less

Please note: During periods where we receive very high numbers of applications, we will only reply to those we wish to advance.

no guys - if someone takes the time to write a job application - you answer even if it is a flat out no.

Companies like that are not serious - but reading the rest of their job spec gives a similar impression.

Well, yes.

I saw that, and thought of asking the question "does this indicate how they will treat their people disposable resources?".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
The first use case of our technology is in the area of creating patentable inventions: we have developed pioneering and world-leading algorithms based on Artificial Intelligence that are defining the very leading edge of this exciting new technology area.

Assertions:
Discuss.

No discussion required. I think you basically nailed it. Really this sounds like a think tank op. Basically hire up anyone who has a bit of imagination and no idea how to promote their idea before the bottom line companies get them. Then herd them like in The Matrix and capitalise on this via a chain of patent lawyers and sales teams. Then reimburse them as minimally as possible while the shareholders roll around in notes like Scrooge McDuck.

Then suddenly AI came along that allows them to come up with new ideas without herding. Some executive bought the pitch. Now there’s an algorithm which isn’t even really AI stirring words up into new inventions! Here I did it:

1. IoT plant pot
2. Self opening drawers
3. Knives that call home to be sharpened
4. Genetically engineered window cleaning spiders.

If you have an idea, sell it yourself! No middle man required. I’ve done and I’m a fucking moron.

Lausanne is nice though. My uncle had an argument with a cow there because it got to close to his Cadillac. Learned a lot of Swiss insults that day.  He’s a Swiss patent lawyer. You get the idea :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:24:29 am by bd139 »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life

Assertions:
Discuss.

No discussion required. I think you basically nailed it. Really this sounds like a think tank op. Basically hire up anyone who has a bit of imagination and no idea how to promote their idea before the bottom line companies get them. Then herd them like in The Matrix and capitalise on this via a chain of patent lawyers and sales teams. Then reimburse them as minimally as possible while the shareholders roll around in notes like Scrooge McDuck.

Then suddenly AI came along that allows them to come up with new ideas without herding. Some executive bought the pitch. Now there’s an algorithm which isn’t even really AI stirring words up into new inventions! Here I did it:

1. IoT plant pot
2. Self opening drawers
3. Knives that call home to be sharpened
4. Genetically engineered window cleaning spiders.

If you have an idea, sell it yourself! No middle man required. I’ve done and I’m a fucking moron.

Lausanne is nice though. My uncle had an argument with a cow there because it got to close to his Cadillac. Learned a lot of Swiss insults that day.  He’s a Swiss patent lawyer. You get the idea :)

I like where you re going with this:
  1. toilet paper recycling unit
  2. automatic laser fly killer
  3. roach killing nanites
etc...

EDIT: Come on folks, keep up the list and we shall see which idea gets swooped up by this AI "think tank".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:01:35 pm by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
I imagine you are expecting negative feedback?

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
Using the movements of an autonomous vehicle to check passenger health
Iprova has created an invention that allows an autonomous vehicle to carry out health checks on its passengers. The advanced sensors which are built into an autonomous vehicle allow the motion of the vehicle to be controlled in a precise and predictable way as it travels. By controlling small variations in its motion, the vehicle can generate different forces that can be used to carry out various human health checks. The invention can be used to assess a passenger’s balance and core stability, or evaluate the body’s response to known stimuli. This will help passengers to conveniently check various aspects of their health by harnessing the motion of the vehicle itself, and potentially enable diagnostic features in autonomous vehicles which might be used to identify the early symptoms of conditions such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease or diabetes.
Uhm, yeah...  :bullshit:

Offline Raven Luni

• Contributor
Wow - thats the most brazen example of this kind of crap I've seen yet.
These people are everywhere - its why I want to get out of software and find a good honest job in the trades...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Software industry is mostly ok. Pays better than anything else versus the effort put in, which is why I’m there  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Software industry is mostly ok. Pays better than anything else versus the effort put in, which is why I’m there  :-DD

There is a wide range of skills hiding behind the compiler.  Those who have half a clue will stand out and those with real skills can shine.

One of the biggest success tips I can give is listen to what the user wants.  The biggest challenge is then getting them to test the software adequately.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

So my advice to anyone - do not apply there unless you are truly desperate.
1. Don’t whine about millennials — this isn’t a millennial trait in any way, shape, or form (nor are, frankly, any of the other traits ascribed to them). I have no idea why people gang up on millennials, they are statistically no different than older generations were at that age, other than that they (in USA and some other countries) are saddled with student debt and lower incomes for the same work.

2. Though I consider it profoundly disrespectful to applicants, this is how 99% of employers now operate. Since it is now absolutely customary to receive hundreds (sometimes thousands) of applications per job listing, most employers have simply ceased proactively sending denial messages before the interview stage. Even if you ask, you may not actually hear back if they’re not interested. Many simply discard applications outright if they’re uninterested, so they won’t even know you applied if you try to follow up...

At least these guys are being up front about it. (Not that it balances out the other problems with the position.)

Job hunting has, imho, become a deeply troubled discipline in general, with software acting as gatekeepers, disqualifying qualified applicants (because they are missing a single keyword), while advancing the ones who lie and just cut and paste the requirements from the listing... And even if/when you get to a human, it’s a game, one whose rules are mercurial, capricious, and unknown to the applicant since they vary by employer, or even just the hiring manager’s mood. 

(In case you couldn’t tell, this is something I’ve discussed recently with HR experts, and my reaction was utter revulsion...)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:42:12 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf