Author Topic: Looking for tutor on amplifier design/build/repair  (Read 2025 times)

Offline MarkoGVATopic starter

• Contributor
Looking for tutor on amplifier design/build/repair
« on: November 21, 2022, 04:48:56 pm »
Hi,
I am looking to learn about amplifier design/repair and would be interested to take some lessons, preferably in-person.
I live in Geneva, Switzerland.
All propositions will be considered.
Thanks!
Marko

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for tutor on amplifier design/build/repair
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 04:46:51 pm »
You might get more replies if you give a bit more background: Which types of amplifiers are you interested in? (I assume audio; if so, hifi or guitar?) What is your background and level of experience? What is your intent -- hobby use, or setting up a business?

Just saying; I am neither based in Switzerland nor an expert on amps of any kind...

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 06:55:05 pm »
try Swiss section of the AES, Audio Engineering Société

AES.org

there are also high end audio trade shows, one just was in Munich

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: MarkoGVA

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 11:16:13 am »
Hi,
I am interested in hifi audio amplifiers. Have been repairing vintage audio for 5-6 years as a hobby. Cassette player, turntable, receivers, CD player, etc.
Self-thought in electronics with a degree in Economics :-)
Marko

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 01:59:52 pm »
Marco, bonjour monsieur Suggest you reposted on a high end or vintage audio forum

Mention your location

Bon chance

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 11:05:38 am »
Thanks Jon, but I think I have no chance!

Offline jwet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:33 am »
A couple of resources if you aren't aware:

Elliot Sound Labs is a hi fi enthusiast site with lots of circuits, theory and discussion.  https://sound-au.com/.  They have a great set of tutorials and articles that are free to access.  They take donations if you find it useful.  I donate each time I use it because I find it so good.  There is a lot of wisdom here.

Douglas Self has written a lot of very good books and articles on Audio Design over the years.  He wrote a bunch of stuff for wireless world in the UK .  He has also written several good books and anthology type collections- highly recommended.  Nice style of expaining.

Baxandall is another old author, who collaborated with Self on some books.  Less prolific than Self, but some very good stuff- "inventor" of the standard tone control circuit.

One thing to be a bit careful of when reading old references is to make sure some of the wisdom is still current.  Power devices have improved immeasurably over the past couple of decades.  "Linear" type MOSFET's are also less common these days- most are designed for switching with fast saturated switching rather than operating class A, etc.  Some judgement required.

Have fun.

Offline cantata.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 05:37:43 pm »
"HiFi" isn't really a Science, it's an Art.

I say this because because it's all about matching Speakers and Amplifiers and DACs.

Different music needs different gear, typically. There's no one correct answer.

What you may end up having to do is go out and buy different types of Amplifiers and try them against Music that you like.

Recently, there has been the introduction of D-Class or Digital Amplifiers and they broke all the rules in terms of sound quality of old amplifers.

To muddy the water even more, Dolby Sound processing is bending the original 'music' in ways not intended by the original Performers.

We get back to Art now, and I will now make the point that some recorded Music sounds better on some systems that the original recordings.

"Amplifiers" are a very small part of the puzzle now, as much as the volume dial is.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf